Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Silence??

Hear that? Neither do I..... the sweet absence of sound....temporarily, very temporarily....

My sweet husband took my two girls to the library and grocery shopping for our busy 4th of July weekend ahead! He knows I should be off my feet due to my injury and was so wonderful to take the girls along tonight. Well I must admit, I didn't know what to do! I am always with my girls 24/7. Not having relatives nearby we are always with our girls and seldom get breaks or date nights. So I had no idea how to react to the silence, and I was trying to think....hmmmmm. the last time I recall complete silence? Well, um, gosh it's been that long? Because I have no idea when I didn't hear...."Mommy, I need..... Mommy she's looking at me...." "Honey where's my shirt..... Babe have you seen my keys?......" The list goes on as I'm sure you fellow Moms can relate. But you know, I actually missed those sounds, the sounds of my family. I remember a cartoon strip my Mom cut out years ago and hung up on our refrigerator. It was a picture in a series, first the woman was on her hands and knees scrubbing her floors, then you see her husband come in with filthy, muddy boots and trudge all across her clean floor leaving a trial of mud. The woman calmy leans back down on the floor and begins to scrub, her friend is there and says...why do you let him in this house with those dirty boots and creating more work for you? The woman calmy looks up and says....perhaps his boots trail in the mud, but these boots are also bringing him through the door.

I think I was in Elementary school, but what an impact it left on me all those years ago. Seems too often today people wish for opposite of what they have. We all are guilty of it at one time or another. But all too quickly we can lose what matters most and then it's too late to appreciate what's right in front of us all along.
Overlooking little things can speak volumes. I am thankful to hear the sounds of my children's laughter, and even arguments here and there. I am thankful to have a husband that works so hard for his family. I am thankful for our pets who warm my heart with their unconditional love and devotion. I am thankful for many things in my life.

In my thoughts and prayers tonight are the wives and children of the soldiers bravely fighting for us, my friend who is battling liver disease and is in constant pain, my friends battling cancer, and the family of my friends who have lost their battle with cancer. For my cousin and her child who are facing a second divorce, for those homeless and hungry....my list could go on and on.

When times are hard we must remember and be thankful for all we do have and not take things for granted. As I sat in silence this evening for 2 hours, no t.v., no radio, just silence I reflected on these things. Things we all face each day. To be kind to everyone we meet because you just don't know what struggles they may be facing.

You must wonder, how did all this come from 2 hours of silence? I just thought having it would be so great, yet the noise and the chaos soothes me more. It's evidence of life and happiness. I am truly blessed.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I know what you mean about the silence. I am still with my girls all the time even though one is 21 and one is 24--she has Asperger's syndrome and other issues that make life hard for her some times more than others. I am thankful for my family, our great country and the men and women who put their lives on the line every day to make it safe for us. I am grateful for my boys--the three dachshunds who love me and make me laugh daily. I am thankful that Kevin made it home safely from his business trip. Some times I have to stop and remind myself of all I do have and that I should be grateful for it all because it could all be gone in the blink of an eye. I have a full and wonderful life and I love it!!