Monday, June 28, 2010

What doesn't break us can only make us stronger....

First, I did go to the Dr's today. I am awaiting results of my x-rays which I was told could take up to two days. hmmm hoping it's not broke or fractured. I need to keep it wrapped and elevated and iced. The elevated part is a challenge, I'm not a Mom that stays off her feet very often. :-)

In my previous post I had spoken about when I hurt my other foot and how the same day I got the news my husband's plant had shut down and let everyone go. What I didn't share yet is a bit more of our story. For 16 years my husband dedicated heart and soul into a particular company. He built himself up from a laborer to a General Manager. He was so respected and wanted through the company that we were transferred a great deal. Always reinventing and starting our lives over again. We did this because we believed in this company. We invested a lot. It was our dream for me to be a stay at home Mom and to raise our girls the way we believed was right. We saved moved away from family and friends and believed this company, who called us family would take care of us and we'd retire with them.

However the building industry began to falter, yet we were reassured his job would not be affected. So we stood by them and we believed. We are in our current location due to moving with this company, we have no family nearby. Then came the day when they shut down the plant, told him there was nothing in the company for him and gave us no severance. Our world was shattered. I even tried getting a job and was offered several but the pay would not support us so I turned them down, knowing I needed to be here for my children. Plus we have no help as far as child care so we were on our own yet again to pick up the pieces.
Another stepping stone in our marriage. Unemployment is not much and we were falling behind in our mortgage, we also scraped by to get Cobra because my oldest daughter has asthma and my youngest is severely allergic to eggs, so there's no way we could lose health care and be o.k. All the things we were secure in came tumbling down... Some people said 'oh it will get better, you'll see' , but many have never been in our shoes. This on top of me being laid up for 6 weeks with my foot. My parents did manage to come and help for 2 weeks and I thank God for them every day. It is in these times you learn who your friends really are and this experience taught me a lot.

On a good note after several months of struggles a job came through. A great job with a smaller company who truly does care about their employees. After he received this job he was offered another making more money. He went to his current bosses and told them his dilemma, (we feared losing our home) They did not want to lose him and raised his pay and promised another raise in 6 months. Talk about blessings...the kind we can't always see at the time but do come later. God had a plan. Scared the life out of us, but taught us so much about ourselves and others. How there are no guarantees and we must look out for ourselves in life and to be prepared. There is much more to this story, but sharing some of it lifts a weight off me. I am truly blessed and while this type of thing crumbles many marriages, I believe it strengthened ours more.

If your needing a little extra encouragement please read the following poem, for there is a lot of meaning to it.

The Oak Tree
By Johnny Ray Ryder Jr.

A mighty wind blew night and day
It stole the Oak tree's leaves away
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
Until the Oak tree was tired and stark

But still the Oak tree held it's ground
While other trees fell all around
The weary wind gave up and spoke
How can you still be standing Oak?

The Oak tree said, I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two
Carry every leaf away
Shake my limbs, and make me sway

But I have roots stretched in the earth
Growing stronger since my birth
You'll never touch them, for you see
They are the deepest part of me
Until today, I wasn't sure
Of just how much I could endure
But now I've found, with thanks to you
I'm stronger than I ever knew.


My family, my joy, my everything.....

Have a blessed evening!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Hi Jill, can i just say!!!! Wow, i found your blog over from Heathers. and thanks for sharing what you went throught. i am so sorry but your story is an encouragement to me personally.
i thank GOd you can out of it whole and better.
thank you for sharing something that must be so personal.

Camille said...

Good Evening Jill!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a sweet comment. It is lovely to "meet" you! I have scanned through a bit of your blog and landed on this post.

How MUCH you have been through lately!! What a journey! I would encourage you to look to the LORD Jesus Christ...HE is the ONLY way to true and lasting peace. ALL things make sense when HE is the ONE you look to for ALL things. If you want to chat more on this feel free to email me ~ flowersinhisgarden@gmail.com If not, I understand! :)

In the meantime...I will be praying for you.
Blessings,
Camille

Kat said...

Jill that's a very heart touching story. I am so glad your husband found a good job. My husband is in his 50's so he is not as sure as himself as he used to be and thinks that many jobs only want younger people. I keep telling him he is fine and not old yet, well not that old, Gees! I feel in my heart he will not lose his job but he is not comfortable and I don't work there, however he has worked for this company for 24 years. No perks either at all. So it's pretty much the same, no loyalty from the co to the employee, but the employee's are pretty loyal. It's sad. Last week a guy was fired and his wife was due at any day with a new baby. It's just sad and no one in WA seems to care that people are losing their jobs! I pray our country can pull itself together. Thanks for sharing your stories. Hugs