Saturday, July 24, 2010

Boy what a hot day!!!

Today was the surprise party for my brother in law and it went well. It was nice to see family and friends we don't get to see often. But boy...it was so hot! About 105 with high humidity, I had the worse headache afterwards. But I was so happy to see everyone.

 Living far away, when we do get back to visit and see those we haven't seen in awhile, we start to realize how much they age. Meaning in our minds eye from previous visits, we remember them that way and in some ways just think they won't change. Today I really noticed how quickly time is passing by, and how little time we have with them. Even my sister and brother in laws, we're not "old" but some have children who are having children and I remember changing their diapers and caring for them. Some headed on the right paths, and others I worry about so much.

 Just realizing how different it is today being a teen then it was when I was younger. How facebook, my Space and cell phones have made it a much more dangerous place. I worry for them. I am not looking forward to that stage when my girls are teens, only because I worry what's out there. I know I'm raising them well and on the right path, but in today's society, is it enough? I hope and pray that it is.

 Was missing the presence of so many we lost recently too. Not use to them not being at the family gatherings. Just a lot of reflection today. Alot.....

"To exist is to change, To change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly"

-Henri Bergson

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Blessings, Jill

4 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Jill, I wrote a nice long comment and lost it by clicking on the wrong button. It's so hard when you have to verify. Ah well, I wanted to say how much I agree with your post. It is amazing how fast time flies and our time with relatives is so precious. We are at my mother and sister's home helping them move today. We have five kids (two are married so we have almost five grandchildren too.) We deal with all the issues you mentioned but don't allow a lot of it until after graduation.

We've been homeschooling over 20 years now. I still can hardly believe it! It's so nice to meet another Happy Homemaker. Thanks very much for visiting my blog. I signed up to follow you so we can keep in touch. I do hope you will stop by often and I'll visit you too.

Have a great week!

Blessings,
Donna Rodgers @ Comin' Home
www.thehomemakingarts.blogspot.com

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill, I'm having a good weekend!! I was telling my dad about your blog and a little bit about why you started it. I only shared what you had publicly posted here. He really thought that was cool...and I agree!!! I just find that life is somehow better when we foster an attitutde of thankfulness/gratefulness. I'm not thankful for the "troubling times"..no, those stink...BUT I'm being thankful for the good things in my life, in spite of difficulties!!! I don't want to ever become a bitter complainer...never ever ever!!! Okay..Have a great Sunday and a really good week!! Oh, I did mention Oreo cookie truffles to my dad. He liked that idea, too. He LOVES Oreo cookies!!! Love and hugs, Heather :)

Jill said...

@ Donna, Welcome! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! It's great to meet you. That is so wonderful that you homeschool! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

@ Heather That's fine Heather that you told your Dad. ;-) Anyway in which I can help someone else. :-) There is so much to be thankful for! Let me know if you try those truffles!!

Angie Berry said...

To me, there is nothing on this earth more important than family. It is so very sad to see some of them make the wrong decisions and see the little ones growing up into teens. That's why we should embrace these moments with them and make them into lasting memories1

Your girls may stray as it seems all individuals have their own way of finding themselves, but I truly believe that children raised right from the time they are babies will eventually come back to their roots.