Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cleaning, Baking, Music and Making Crafts!

We have been super busy today! I always make a cake, cookies or other goodies for my husband's work, once a week. He called this morning because the guys were wondering where their cake was! I usually send it in on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, LOL I assured them they would have it tomorrow. :-)

Being gone for a few days I had cleaning and laundry to catch up on. So that was keeping us quite busy, plus changing all the bed sheets. The girls and I took time for reading together after breakfast, then we got busy dancing to Laurie Berkner ( If you've ever seen Sprout PBS kids, she's featured on there) very catchy tunes and yes, I'll admit I was singing at the top of my lungs and dancing too. Uh mm you see the music has to be LOUD to sound great...right? LOL We had a blast. We also left it on while we made our crafts.


First one we got into was a school of fish. We took a paper plate, then a toilet paper roll (squashed it to an oval shape) and dipped it into our choice color of paint to make our fish bodies.


Once the bodies dried, they colored them in with markers.





She also wanted me to show how she could balance it on her thumb LOL :0)



Next we made our own clay critters, a mouse (we stretched on a spoon) to get it's tail formed. and some others.

Salt Clay

1 1/2 cups (375 ML) Salt
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water

1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a plastic bowl, add water
2. When dough forms a ball around the spoon, knead the dough well, adding water if it is too crumbly. Once the clay holds together, it's ready to be molded.
3. Allow molded clay to air dry or bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 - 40 mins. or until hard.
( We baked ours)

We were going to paint them, but then decided to use permanent markers for details. :-)



Mixing it up, getting good and messy!




Having a great time making their own creations!



After it was baked......



Hard at work!



Just a small sample of what they made!





Hayley's
Kathleen's

They are already asking when we can do it again! This is a great dough to use for making Christmas ornaments too. Be sure to place a hole through the top and add a ribbon through it. The possibilities are endless!

Last night Hayley had a great time at her library class, she won the bingo game and was able to pick a sea treasure. She was excited to find a seahorse, so I thought it would be neat to share! It's in perfect shape. She was super excited.



I'm off to ice the cake! Gotta get started on dinner too, keeping it easy tonight and making spaghetti so the girls have some time in the pool.

Have a great evening!!!

Blessings,

Jill

10 comments:

SonyaAnn said...

You have such a wonderful life!! Cute projects for cute kids!
Have a great week!

Karen Long said...

it looks like you had a busy yet WONDERFUL day.. and what a great way to make memories..
you go girl...

Jill said...

Thank you Karen and SonyaAnn, your both so sweet! :-)

Camille said...

Hi Jill ~ How fun for your girls that you do so many crafts with them! The sign of a patient Mum!! :) AND how WONDERFUL that you bake for your husband and his friends at work...and too funny that they actually called to check up on the progress!

Have a lovely evening!
Blessings,
Camille

Jill said...

Thank you so much Camille! I enjoy doing these things so much! Cherish every minute I say! Have a great week!

Lecia said...

Jill,
Thank you for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself.
I love the craft projects you are doing with your girls. I think my little one would find these lots of fun!
Beautiful blog, beautiful pictures, and beautiful children. Children are such a blessing, it looks like you are making some great memories with your girls!

Jamie said...

Hi Jill,cookies ,cake,crafts.Now that's a great day to spend with your kid's

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Jill,
I really loved this post..I thought it was really cute that your hubby's co-workers are already expecting baked treats from you :) :) :) That's a compliment.

Oh random, one of my other blog friends as the same blog background that you and I have...Why nhot? It is a good one :) :) :)

You do all the fun crafts at your house ;) :) :) There was one photo with a bottle of paint at the bottom of the photo. That brought back memories from school :) :) :) Glad your girls had such a fun time!!! Please tell them their creations are beautiful :) :) :)

You are such a good mom to do all this fun stuff with them!!!! Have a great week. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Jill said...

@ Lecia, Thanks for stopping by and for the lovely comment!

@ Jamie, thanks so much! We had a lot of fun!

@ Heather, Thank you so much for your sweet compliments! I did tell them and they got very big smiles on their faces! :-)

colonialhomestead said...

Such a sweet pumpkin mixing pancakes! I am going to try the recipe. But for dinner because it is so hot here. Sliced bananas would be good too. You have such amazing crafts. My youngest wants to eat that chocolate cake up. He had fun catching toads to play in the pond tonight. It is so exciting simple things can be so fun. I think it would be cool to have a seahorse swimming in a tank to watch. But that would be one more tank for me to clean. A turtle tank & a fish pond are enough for now. My daughter did not get the job but today she was hired at another place. God moves in his own way. Praise be to Him. Take care & blessings to you & yours!