Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tomato Plant mystery solved??

When we came home from vacation we assumed that the heat destroyed our tomato plant. However it was strange how the tiny little tomato and leaves were gone. This is what it looked like:( Oh don't mind the kitty litter bucket next to it, we ran out of pots for the other tomato plant LOL)
This had been a very healthy plant up to this point and we were all excited about the first tomato we had seen growing on it.
Tonight my husband found this little guy who we think is the culprit on the sunflower plant next to it, my daughter had started from seed.

I enlarged it with the hope that someone may know what type of caterpillar this is??? Any thoughts would be appreciated, we have no idea where he came from!

My husband also bravely battled the bee infestation in the dog houses outside. I guess being gone a few days, the insects came out to play. They were swarming our deck so bad and were so nasty!

3 comments:

Huskerbabe said...

We call them tomato worms, they can clean a plant off in no time at all.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Sheila said...

Yep, tomato worm. My Ma-Maw used to squish them with her fingers--I just can't do that though. It doesn't seem to take long for the insects to take a hold once they find a place they like.

Jill said...

Thank you both! I was so excited how well our plant was doing and was not happy when I saw this. Now I'll be on the look out for them. I agree Sheila, don't think I could squish them either LOL.