Was multitasking again tonight while making dinner and somehow when the butter mixture I was boiling bubbled over it caught the stove top on fire! I quick grabbed my baking soda and threw it on to put it out. (Never put water on a grease fire)!! Anyhow, Hayley was like I was gonna run and grab Frankie (her favorite stuffed monkey) and run out the door! I said to her honey, you never take anything if a fire is out of control...just get yourself out and that's it. I was surprised she said this because we have discussed fire safety a lot. We even have our meeting place by the mailbox out front. I guess we'll be reviewing it more frequently until it sinks in.
I was lucky to get it under control quickly, lots of smoke and of course the alarms went off, but it was o.k. I remember learning about fire safety and keeping baking soda nearby as an extinguisher. Thank God, I have always followed that lesson. If not for that it could have quickly gotten out of control.
My husband was a volunteer fire fighter for 13 years and has seen many tragedy's start from simple mistakes.
I thank God tonight we were not one of those statistics. If you have small children, please go over the importance of fire safety and how the firemen sound when they come in.( Darth Vader) It can be a scary experience for small children. Be sure to have a common meeting place as well. You never know, it could save a life. Also stress the importance of learning 911. Post it on the phone and even at age 3 teach them the importance and what to do.
Hope every one's evening is wonderful, with less excitement then mine! LOL