Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gardening, a craft, some great books and a classic ;-)

The girls and I spent some time outside this morning before it got too hot. We started by checking the garden again. The girls were so excited and shrieking delight at some more "hidden" treasures they found. Since some of the leaves were prickly, they used a stick to pull it back.


It's so neat to see how much it has grown! I have early pictures in my June posts of when we first planted everything.


Kathleen's face here cracks me up, she was like " this plant is huge Mommy!"






A few could have stayed on the vine a bit longer, but they were so excited I didn't have the heart to tell them. :-)



Hayley found some feather's in the yard she collected. Then came in and made a necklace from some of them.



This is a picture of a bird feeder Jerry made me by hand about 13 years ago. It is suffering some wear and tear but I can't part with it. I love the work he put into it.


It's definitely earned some "character"


Next we worked on a boat craft today. We started with a styrofoam bowl and cut the bottom off, you could also use a plate for a larger base.



Then you need glue, triangles cut from construction paper, toothpicks, tissue paper, egg carton cut apart.



Glue tissue paper to styrofoam base, cut extra edges off.



Then place glue on the triangle (sails) place toothpick between two triangles.




Next we read a book about gardening. This is a wonderful book for young readers to learn about starting a garden and caring for it. Great illustrations also! It's called How Groundhogs Garden Grew by Lynne Cherry




Another really cute one we read to help them learn about different kinds of bugs was
Ant, Ant, Ant,  (An insect chant) by April Pulley Sayre




It's a really cute book, with great pictures! The girls got lots of giggles from this one. :-)

Then I decided to rent a classic movie for the girls to watch:



I always loved this movie ever since I saw it when I was little. So popcorn and a movie rounds up our afternoon.

I'm still without a stove as we are trying to get a new coil ordered so I'll have to get creative for dinner again.
I'm also planning more tea parties with different themes for the girls.

Hope you have a wonderful evening!

Blessings,
Jill

10 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill,

Your girls are just precious..and I think my favorite was their smiles at how big all the veggies were getting :) :) :) I haven't seen Pollyanna in a long time, but I was just thinking about that movie earlier today. True story!!! I think I'll watch a movie today while I knit. I have to find something clean, girly and romantic...maybe Pride and Prejudice..theone with Keirah Knightely.
I know you said that bird feeder has some wear and tear...but I'll have to be honest with you, I think it's the best looking bird feeder I've ever seen. It's super cute...little log cabin. It's totally understandable why you'd want to keep it!!! I'm off to run an errand today. Have a great week. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

p.s. Did you tell your girls about "kerfuffle"?

Jill said...

@ Heather Thanks for your sweet comment! I haven't seen Pride and Prejudice for awhile but I like that one! Yes, my husband put a lot of time and effort into it, it took me FOREVER to put it out for the birds, I didn't want to see it ruined. He had stained it and everything.
Yes I did tell them about kerfuffle and got lots of giggles, they loved it! LOL

~Krystle~ said...

That is great! Next summer we are hoping to get us a garden started it will be much cheaper! About your stove, we had the same thing happen to us and we used our toaster oven to bake chicken breast, pork chops, rolls, and pretty much everything we usually baked in our oven. It was just us two really eating but it worked you could try that...

Hope you have a great rest of the week!

SonyaAnn said...

I just love the wholesome life that you live. Mine is not so much! Oh well I'll live a good life vicariously through you!

Marie said...

The garden looks great. I love your birdhouse. I collect birdhouses. I have them on the front porch, the screen porch and all around the yard. The girls did a great job on their boats.
Love,
Marie

Michelle @ Flying Giggles said...

What a wonderful morning!

We had a relaxing morning, getting ready for company this afternoon. My husband finally has a day off so we all went out to lunch. Next time, we will go when it is not Chloe's naptime. Everyone is sleeping now and I am squeezing in some blogging time...lol.

Jill said...

Thank you ladies for your lovely comments! ;-)
Marie welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment. I became a follower. Cute kids! {I have a soft spot for redheads.}

Karen Long said...

Jill you are sooooo creative... and I so wish i had a green thumb.. My dad could grow a mean tomato plant. but me,, i can kill a silk plant..
but admire seeing other people be able to do it..
you go girl..

Donna said...

Jill, I love your garden and really enjoy seeing your girls' excitement in it. My kids all loved our garden too. You are bringing back so many memories for me. Thanks so much for sharing!

I'm glad you now have 'official permission' to take it a little easier. You are right that we really can't do it all.

Thanks so much for visiting. :o) Oh and I LOVE your dear hubby's birdhouse. What a treasure..a labor of love. :o)