Thursday, August 19, 2010

Getting back on schedule....:-) Camping in!

Today I had to get back on my normal schedule to stay on top of things, so I got busy with regular kitchen chores like emptying the dishwasher, cleaning up and preparing some things for the day. I prepped some pork chops in the crock pot marinaded in a mushroom sauce.


Then I prepared a cake for the guys at Jerry's work since I was behind this week....



Meanwhile I boiled some eggs.....



So Hayley and I could enjoy a nice egg salad sandwich for lunch. We haven't had these in awhile.



Yummy! Eggs are a rare treat here because Kathleen is so severely allergic to them. So when we do have them, it's carefully planned.

I also was busy clipping the box tops off recent purchases for Hayley's school.



Then since I had lots to accomplish I told the girls to build a tent to play in, in our living room.
This is my room before the destruction, er I mean creativity began....



Just look at those faces, they already have a plan!



Princess was supervising for me :-)



Sally had to be a part of the fun, they even put her dog bed in there. LOL



If you look into the background they even set up their portable DVD player from the van to watch movies.




Then I had them make a fun, edible craft. They designed their own campfires.
We started out with the following materials:



They said I had to share this funny looking peanut, LOL



I remember when I was little, my Mom always asked me if I could find the Grandfather in the peanut. See his face and long beard? To the right side if you turn your head. ( yes, some imagination is required, LOL)

We used paper plates as a base, but it should really be a tortilla (soft). My girls won't eat them and so as not to be too wasteful I let them build the campfire on the paper plate.


Place peanut butter down in the center. Line a ring with a rope of licorice, start to layer with Chinese noodles (kindling) Then add peanuts to represent stones around the outside.



Then use tootsie rolls to represent logs, use pretzel sticks to be wooden sticks for the fire.



The candy corn represents the fire.



Then it's important to throw a little dirt (cocoa mix) on the fire when done to make sure it's out.



Then enjoy a tasty snack! :-)
The girls really had a lot of fun with this one, and loved the idea of eating it too.

Had to capture this picture when Hayley went to get the mail this morning. Sally walks out with her and these two watch from the front door.



Wanted to leave you with one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost. For any of you who may be facing tough decisions, ponder these words.

The Road Not Taken
By:
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by.
And that has made all the difference.


Have a wonderful evening!
Blessings,
Jill

15 comments:

A Hopeful Heart said...

I LOVE the close-up photos of the girls' face. Beyond beautiful!!!!

What a fun idea to make those campfires. And making tents like that is always so fun. My kids loved doing that. In the beginning, the only place my kids made tents was at Nana's house...I was too fussy about the mess. But my sweet mother-in-law helped me to see that "a perfectly ordered house can't say I love you." She encouraged me to just enjoy my kids, make memories with them, and then clean up when we were done.

By the way, I LOVE your floral upholstered furniture. It is SO pretty.

I hope you're feeling better and will be up for your trip on Saturday.

Blessings,
Patti

Camille said...

What a sweet post (no pun intended ~ LOL)...too cute! I *love* it when the kids make a fort...but NOT in the livingroom. :) I enjoyed reading your commentary...fun times! Your girls must have had a blast doing it...looks so cosy.

AND that campfire...very creative! I've never seen that done before...you have great ideas Jill.

Blessings,
Camille

Bec said...

cubbys are huuuuuge hits here as well and I figure when it comes to mess I'd rather fold 20 blankets then pick up 20 boxes full of spilled toys lol The little campfires are a great idea too!

Sheila said...

It looks like the girls are having a blast. Love the campfires-I've never heard of those either. I love your living room--I have absolutely no decorating gene so I love seeing other peoples houses! Does that make me strange?!! Your kids always make me smile. Thanks for sharing them with us. Take care.

Jill said...

@ Bec, So true! Blankets are easier, but somehow my girls manage to move everything but the kitchen sink in! LOL

@ Sheila, Thanks! The living room furniture was my Mom's, we have similar tastes, now she has changed to country look. I like seeing how others decorate too, so NO you are not strange! LOL I'm glad my girls make you smile... they make me smile too!

eileeninmd said...

Fun post, love the camping in idea. And what a treat to eat after the girls had fun making the campfire. Your Sally reminds me of my old yellow lab Sunshine. She was the best dog I ever had. Have a great weekend,, if you go to Longwood take a lot of pictures.

Jenn said...

I love the camping in theme!!! I'm snitching your edible campfire idea for tomorrow!! It'll fit in with our forest fire smoke smell!! lol!!

SonyaAnn said...

Looks like you had another wonderful day! Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!

colonialhomestead said...

In life it seem we always have to make a choice as to what road to travel. Always wonering if I should have took the other way. Lucas & Laken went with friends tonight to a fair. I really did not want them to go but know I have to let them have some fun with friends. I prayed alot while they were gone. The Lord brought them home safely. I am so thankful. The poem gives you lots to think about. The girls sure had fun camping in. Such a safe cool fire and it can be eaten too. The kitteys waiting at the door is so cute. Blessings!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh this was fun...I loved the tents/forst that your girls built and how fun is that. It brings back memories and your girls are just so precious. They are realy cutey pies!!! They're sweet girls to include the family dog in the fun :) :)

That "campfire" looks really tasty too...How fun and creative too? You always have fun ideas for activities with the girls? How do you come up with all of it? It's great!!!

Have a great weekend, Jill...you, hubby, the girls, the dog etc!!! :) :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Cindy said...

We are a big fort making family too! Don't you love how they can use just about every blanket in the house!:)
Love those edible campfires too. They look so fun to make and even more fun to eat. My girls would love those.
Enjoy the day and your big weekend!

Mandie said...

I love this post Jill! The campfire is fantastic. I will have to try that with my girls, how fun. Making tents is a blast. The girls get so excited when we suggest making tents. How clever to put the dvd player in there, lol.

Where did you get your daughters ears pierced? We went to Claire's in the mall. Man if I could of gotten it cheaper I will be sad. I about croked when she said the total was $40. You can't very well say you don't want it anymore, lol. She loves them and is taking good care of them. I can't believe how much older it makes her look.

Cranberry Morning said...

What fun pics! :-) I remember making all sorts of 'tents' when I was a kid and playing in them with my friends...or with my sister if none of my friends was available. :-) (my sister was a last resort.) :-)

Lucky Sally to have such a fun family and people who love her!

Jenny said...

Hi Jill, so glad we found each other. Your morning activities look like mine, a million of them all going at once. Looks like the girls had a super fun time. What memories your girls will have someday. I love your kitty picture, so sweet. Talk to you soon.

Jill said...

@ Heather... Thanks for your sweet comments! I use to be a teacher so I have lots of ideas from those days, but I also look for inspiration in different magazines like Family fun. That's where I got the campfire idea. :-)
Have a great weekend!