Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pennypacker Mills, and Chuck e cheese ;-)

We had a lovely afternoon as a family today. Out enjoying the beautiful weather this morning, we took the girls to visit a historical site called Pennypacker mills. It is a Victorian estate of former Governor Samuel W. Pennypacker. George Washington also used it as his headquarters for three weeks. The mansion is filled with original furnishings, documents and different collections. We had a wonderful guide walk us through the house and give us a tour. We were unable to photograph the inside, but oh, it was so lovely. I would have loved to live back then. :-) I did however get pictures from the outside.


View from the massive front porch. I would love to have one of these to sit and relax on. Serve some tea or lemonade... endless possibilities.

This is the porch wrapped around the side.



Bird's nest we found up in the rafters of the old barn
Weeping Willow, one of my favorite trees. :-)
Hayley was collecting acorns :-)

We had a real nice time and it was very interesting learning about their lives back then. The girls realize how lucky they are to live in today's society. They talked a lot about child labor back then, and how most children didn't live long, due to such terrible conditions.

On a lighter note, after that we took the girls to Chuck e Cheese to play and get dinner.
This was a picture drawn by a machine that the girls posed for. I really love how it turned out.

I love these family days and I cherish every one!

Blessings,
Jill

10 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Jill...

OH my goodness that Victorian home is beautiful. I've always loved Victorian things ever since I was about your two daughers ages :) :) If you go to view my complete profile...there's a link for Debbie-Dabble..and she has a link somewhere on her page for the Steigmeier Mansion..this insanely gorgeous Victorian home!!
The Weeping Willow is one of my favorite trees too..I've always thought of it as a romantic tree and it would be so neat to have a long driveway lines with these trees!!!
Oh back to the Victorian home...that porch is lovely. Someday I'd love to have a home is a large porch..so I could sit outside when it's raining, enjoy some hot coffee or tea, and not get rained on!!!

Chuck.E.Cheese and I go way back :) :) :) I went there as a kid and that's where I learned to LOVE pizza ;) :) :) Plus I loved playing all the games, earning tickets for prizes...the singing animals on stage :) :) So cool... I can see why your girls loved it :) :) :)

Have a lovely week!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Donna said...

Hi Jill, You take such good photos! I really enjoy them. Our family visited George Washington's home in DC. It looked very similar. I adore older homes!

My tea set was a gift from a friend and was very expensive. She had more money than most, so it didn't seem to cost much to her at all. We treasure it in our house. Rebekah and I have tea with it several times a week.

Thanks so much for dropping by. :o)

Donna @ Comin' Home
www.thehomemakingarts.blogspot.com

Adriane said...

This looks like a lovely day! You posted some of my favorite things: wrap around porches, weeping willows, and birds! You also posted one of my children's favorites too: Chuck E. Cheese! I'm glad to hear that you all had such a nice weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a fun day. I love the weeping willow tree. Nice capture of the swallow nest. Your daughter must have loved Chuck E Cheese. Have a great week!

Karen said...

Oh Jill I just love visiting places like that..
I am the only girl left in the house these days,so the guys dont like to do that kinda thing, but I could go all day and look through those vintage homes..
Glad you had a good time.. thanks for sharing..
God Bless

Jamie said...

Jill,I Love Chuck E Cheeses,that is the best place.I remember going there when I was young and I still take my son,it is really a great family place.
Blessings~

Jill said...

Thanks for the lovely comments Ladies! Have a great week!

colonialhomestead said...

I am catching up reading again. This house is great. A wrap around porch calling out to us. Come sit and rock awhile as we chat and enjoy some iced tea. The machine drawing of the girls is great. I think its one to frame.

Miranda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

It looks like you had to have a wonderful day. Learning history with the kids is such a great experience. I would have loved to be there at that house. It looks amazing. :)

~ Noelle said...

i love that house...
told my hubby i would love a house with a nice big porch...
and the portrait at chuck e cheese?
we get one everytime we go!
following you back..
thanks for the follow