Friday, August 6, 2010

Relax and enjoy the weekend! :-) Some yummy crockpot meals

Such an insanely busy day! Lots of running errands, and cleaning the house for our company tomorrow. Kathleen spiked a fever this evening, so I'm praying it's a 24 hour bug. :-(  Will be another crazy busy day tomorrow, but I wanted to leave a post today.

Hope you all get a chance to do this, this weekend....RELAX!

This is Princess, our first cat, sunning herself and relaxing. :-)

Speaking of relaxing, I've mentioned in a previous post how much I love my crock pot. I especially like it for busy days, like the weekend. When running errands and sometimes grabbing on the go because there wasn't time to cook. Now I've started taking a cooler or cooler bag out with us and packing healthy foods. Staying hydrated with water helps a great deal too! But one thing about the slow cooker/crock pot is starting early before we go out and coming home to the most amazing aromas!

Here I'm sharing one of my favorites, if you have these items on hand and are headed out for a busy day, try putting this together in your crock pot before you go. A few minutes of preparation really pays off at the end of the day.

Orange Chicken Leg Quarters

( Makes 8 servings)

4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
4 chicken thighs, skin removed
1 cup strips of green and red peppers
1/2 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup prepared orange juice
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp light molasses
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
11 oz. can mandarin oranges
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup frozen peas
2 green onions sliced

1. Place chicken in slow cooker. Top with pepper strips.
2. Combine broth, juice, ketchup, soy sauce, molasses, mustard, and garlic salt. Pour over chicken
3.Cover, cook on low 5 - 6 hours
4. Remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker, keep warm.
5. Measure out 1 cup of cooking sauce. put in saucepan bring to a boil.
6. Drain oranges, reserving 1 Tbsp. juice. stir cornstarch into reserved juice. Add to boiling sauce in pan.
7. Add peas to sauce and cook stirring 2-3 mins. until sauce thickens and peas are warm, stir in oranges
8. Arrange chicken pieces on platter of cooked white rice, fried cellophane noodles, or lo mein noodles. Pour orange sauce over chicken and rice or noodles, Top with sliced green onions

Enjoy!  Yummy!!

If you're looking for a little snack or appetizer try this Mexican Dip

1 lb low fat ground beef or turkey
8 oz package no fat Mexican cheese grated
16 oz jar mild, thick and chunky picante salsa, or thick and chunky salsa
16 oz can vegetarian refried beans

1. Brown meat, do not drain
2. Add remaining ingredients. Stir until mixed and hot.
3. Keep warm in slow cooker. Serve with low fat tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

Did you know you can also make desserts in it? Here's one for you...

Cherry Cobbler

21 oz can low-fat, low sodium cherry pie filling
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Pour pie filling into GREASED slow cooker
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Beat until smooth. Spread over pie filling
3. Cover, cook on high 1 1/2-2 hours on high.

Enjoy!

Hayley won a Frog from Brownies this year as part of her cookie sale awards, and she decided he needed a place to live so today she designed this on her own.



Tonight while cooking dinner, this is where I found Elvis



A few minutes ago while sleeping on Hayley's lap, Princess jumped up with them, they rubbed noses and Princess assumed a new position



Looks to me she's starting to accept his presence here. :-)

And ol faithful here.... well she's trying to tell me she's ready for bed! She follows me everywhere.



Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Jill

10 comments:

~Krystle~ said...

I love doing crock pot meals and those sound so yummy! Might try some of those this week or next especially with school starting!...thanks for the recipes and yes I have to be organized. Do you have to have your house clean before you go out of town too? thats what I've been doing all night is making sure my house is clean so I don't have to deal with it when I get back.

Adriane said...

Your Princess looks a lot like my Max. He likes to sleep a lot too. Just yesterday we became concerned because we couldn't find him and thought he was still outside. He was under Emma's bed and had been there all day long! I was just glad that he was ok.
Thanks for the crockpot recipes. I am always on the lookout for new ones. I hope Kathleen feels better soon and that you all have a great weekend.

Wendi said...

I love using my crockpot! Today will be spent out in the yard; cutting grass and pulling weeds. I think I will pull out the crockpot today. Great way to prevent the urge to order pizza! Have a reat weekend and hope your little one is feeling better soon.

Jill said...

Thanks Ladies! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy those meals!

Blessings,
Jill

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I have a small crockpot..I haven't used it in awhile, but this looks really easy...How large is your crockpot? It hink I can get all this to fit in mine :) :) OH, I love orange chicken, too!!! Have a great week. I hope Kathleen feels better soon!!!! Oh, love the photo of your kitty cats Princess and Elvis :) :) :) Looks like Hayley enjoys the cats too!!! THey're so fluffy and cute!!! "Old Faithful" is adorable too..and really does have those super cute/sad puppy dog eyes :) :) :)Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Karen said...

Great recipes.... I am going to try the cobbler one for sure.. I have a bit of a sweet tooth.. :)
and it looks like Elvis isnt missing the SPCA too much..lol..
Have a great weekend my friend.. and i will be in touch real soon

A Hopeful Heart said...

Oh, I hope your daughter is feeling better today.

I love the slow cooker. It is a definite lifesaver on those errand days. Thank you for sharing the recipes. I'm always on the lookout for new chicken slow cooker recipes. That one sounds delish!!

Have a blessed weekend,
Patti

Fiona said...

Thanks so much for the crock pot recipes. We have one, but have been a bit uninspired of late. This looks like just the sort of thing to get us back on track!
Hope your daughter is feeling better too.

Jill said...

Thank you everyone for wishing my daughter well. She's still running a fever tonight. We love our crockpot! @ Heather I think it's about a 6 or 8 quart size. :-)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Jill...thanks...I'll go check and see how big my crockpot is...because I don't know exactly...but I can google the info online and then figure it out :) :) :) I've made a really nice beef/sweet potato stew in their once. It was delicious!!!! Love and hugs, Heather :)