Hope you all get a chance to do this, this weekend....RELAX!
This is Princess, our first cat, sunning herself and relaxing. :-)
Speaking of relaxing, I've mentioned in a previous post how much I love my crock pot. I especially like it for busy days, like the weekend. When running errands and sometimes grabbing on the go because there wasn't time to cook. Now I've started taking a cooler or cooler bag out with us and packing healthy foods. Staying hydrated with water helps a great deal too! But one thing about the slow cooker/crock pot is starting early before we go out and coming home to the most amazing aromas!
Here I'm sharing one of my favorites, if you have these items on hand and are headed out for a busy day, try putting this together in your crock pot before you go. A few minutes of preparation really pays off at the end of the day.
Orange Chicken Leg Quarters
( Makes 8 servings)
4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
4 chicken thighs, skin removed
1 cup strips of green and red peppers
1/2 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup prepared orange juice
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp light molasses
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
11 oz. can mandarin oranges
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup frozen peas
2 green onions sliced
1. Place chicken in slow cooker. Top with pepper strips.
2. Combine broth, juice, ketchup, soy sauce, molasses, mustard, and garlic salt. Pour over chicken
3.Cover, cook on low 5 - 6 hours
4. Remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker, keep warm.
5. Measure out 1 cup of cooking sauce. put in saucepan bring to a boil.
6. Drain oranges, reserving 1 Tbsp. juice. stir cornstarch into reserved juice. Add to boiling sauce in pan.
7. Add peas to sauce and cook stirring 2-3 mins. until sauce thickens and peas are warm, stir in oranges
8. Arrange chicken pieces on platter of cooked white rice, fried cellophane noodles, or lo mein noodles. Pour orange sauce over chicken and rice or noodles, Top with sliced green onions
If you're looking for a little snack or appetizer try this Mexican Dip
1 lb low fat ground beef or turkey
8 oz package no fat Mexican cheese grated
16 oz jar mild, thick and chunky picante salsa, or thick and chunky salsa
16 oz can vegetarian refried beans
1. Brown meat, do not drain
2. Add remaining ingredients. Stir until mixed and hot.
3. Keep warm in slow cooker. Serve with low fat tortilla chips.
Did you know you can also make desserts in it? Here's one for you...
21 oz can low-fat, low sodium cherry pie filling
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Pour pie filling into GREASED slow cooker
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Beat until smooth. Spread over pie filling
3. Cover, cook on high 1 1/2-2 hours on high.
Hayley won a Frog from Brownies this year as part of her cookie sale awards, and she decided he needed a place to live so today she designed this on her own.
Tonight while cooking dinner, this is where I found Elvis
A few minutes ago while sleeping on Hayley's lap, Princess jumped up with them, they rubbed noses and Princess assumed a new position
Looks to me she's starting to accept his presence here. :-)
And ol faithful here.... well she's trying to tell me she's ready for bed! She follows me everywhere.
Have a wonderful weekend!