Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Some cooking, a recipe and a few more Longwood Gardens pictures

Hard to believe my little girl is starting fourth grade tomorrow! Kathleen and I are going to miss her during the day. Hopefully I'll get to bed at a decent hour tonight.

I stayed busy in the kitchen a lot today. I was prepping the tomatoes...
And the squash for freezing.
The girls wanted to help with the baking part. Kathleen helped until we put the egg in the mixture. But one of the fun things we enjoy for cooking is our loop dee loos ( made up name of course, lol) So I thought I'd take a picture to remember this time by.
Meanwhile Hayley is stirring together the ingredients for chocolate chunk cookies!
Have you seen these yet? We saw them in the store and thought we'd try them and make them for Jerry's work.
Thank you Pillsbury! They are sooo yummy. :-)
Just look at those chocolate chunks! MMMMMMM
But then we made a tray of thick brownies, we were afraid there wouldn't be enough cookies to go around.
Boy was it smelling good in my kitchen today, but it was so HOT!!!
I also made my chicken pot pie (one of several versions I make) It's Jerry's favorite. I forgot to take pictures, but here is the recipe. It's another quick and easy way to get dinner on the table. Also great to premake ahead of time. Freezes well too.

Chicken - Biscuit Bake

2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups cut up cooked chicken
1 bag (1 lb) frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix
1 can pillsbury grands homestyle biscuits

1) Heat over to 350 degrees. Meanwhile in a 4 quart saucepan, heat soup, milk, thyme, pepper, chicken and vegetables to boiling over medium high heat stirring occasionally. Boil and stir 3-5 minutes. Spread in ungreased 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish

2)  Seperate dough into 8 biscuits, place evenly over chicken mixture 

3) Bake 35-40 mins. or until biscuits are golden brown and no longer doughy on bottom. After 20 mins cover with foil if necessary to prevent excessive browning.

Enjoy!

A few more lovely shots of our trip to Longwood Gardens:
Just look how large these blossoms are!
They are so beautiful!
The bumblebee enjoys them too. :-)
The children's garden was in full bloom!
Awesome fountains!

Have a great evening!
Blessings,
Jill

6 comments:

~Krystle~ said...

yummy! that sounds really good and your veggies are amazing. Thanks for my post comment its good to know I'm not the only one who shops early for Christmas...lol. Hey have ya'll ever been to Sesame Place? We were thinking about taking a trip there for the girls and I saw it on t.v. and Punkin screamed I wanna go there...lol

Sheila said...

Oh, I bet your house was smelling wonderful!! I think I'll try the pot pie recipe soon. Last night, Jessica asked if she could make brownies today. I can't wait!!! Love the loop dee loos.
What gorgeous pictures of your girls and the flowers. I hope Hayley has a wonderful first day of school. Have a lovely day. Take care.

Cindy said...

Oh I LOVE sunflowers!
Wish I had a big vase of them on my kitchen table right now!!
That's what I'm doing today...buying myself some flowers!! :)
Enjoy the day

Karen said...

Jill do you have any good squash recipes?
I dont eat them, but desire too.. they dont have a lot of taste, any suggestions.. something maybe my son would like too...

Truthful Mommy said...

The photos are beautiful as are your little girls! I am certainly going to have to try that chicken recipe. I love chicken pot pie. There would never have been enough cookies left in my house, the kids would have tried to eat them all..and those probably would have been hard to resist by myself and the big guy, as well.lol
Also wanted to stop by and let you know that I posted my first Be a Better me challenge today, hope you can stop by and link up!Happy Mothering!
http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com/2010/09/be-better-me-you-challenge-day-1out.html

Jenny said...

Good luck to Hayley as she starts school. Wow! I want to work with your hubby, or be your annoying noisy neighbor who just happens to "stop by" when you are making all those goodies. Have a great day!