Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thoughts on being a Mom....

While I have MANY thoughts about being a Mom and mothering, which I'm sure will be expressed over the life of this blog, I have to refer to a particular piece I found.

In May of 2003, I had picked up Oprah's O magazine. In the back where she comments on what I know for sure.... I came across her thoughts on mothering which moved me so much. I tore the page out and since 2003 it has been hanging on my bulletin board for some extra inspiration. The following in quotes is all in Oprah's words.

" I'm in awe of good mothers-those heroines all around me who sacrifice daily out of love for their children. In our society, we give motherhood plenty of lip service. We pat moms on the head, bring them flowers on Mother's Day, and honor them before crowds. But at the end of the day we don't extend them the same respect we would a professor, a dentist, an accountant, or a judge. Women who choose full-time mothering are often put in a box by their friends and former colleagues-a container labeled JUST A MOM.
  I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is. To create an environment that's stimulating and nurturing, to pass on a sense of responsibility to another human being, to raise a child who understands that he or she is created from good and is capable of anything-I know for sure that few callings are more honorable. To play down mothering as small is to crack the very foundation on which greatness stands.
  The world can only value mothering to the extent that women everywhere stand and declare that it must be so. In our hands, we hold the power to transform the perception of motherhood. Whether we decide to work full-time while raising children, stay home with our kids, or bear no children at all, we need to understand that any put down of the decision to mother is a threat to women's choices everywhere. We should no longer allow a mother to be defined as "just a mom". It is on her back that great nations are built. We should no longer allow any woman's voice to be drowned out or disregarded. As we affirm other women, and as we teach our sons, husbands, and friends to hold them in the highest regard, we honor both the mothers whose shoulders we've stood on and the daughters who will one day stand tall on ours.
 In May - and every other month of the year- I honor and thank every great spiritual teacher that goes by the name of mother."
   Written by: Oprah Winfrey  May, 2003


This piece impacted me in such a huge way. I had only been a stay at home Mom for 2 years at this time, and faced many criticisms. But I have learned through the years that being home is the best decision I have ever made. That it doesn't matter what the world thinks of my decision, only how it impacts my family and what they think and feel. If we constantly strive in life to please others and keep them happy, then all pieces of ourselves are lost, and all we have left is a shell.

These girls... they melt my heart...in their serious days, their sick days, their fun days and more. They are my reason for being and I cherish that each and every day. I feel the sacrifices my husband and I make every day to keep me home with them is so very worth it. :-)


One day when they read back on this post, may they never have a single doubt of how very very much they are loved and treasured.

Blessings,
Jill

8 comments:

Mom Caboodle said...

Hello Jill!
I am a stay at mom home also. I have a daughter with Autism, so there is no way I am leaving her with anyone else.
Your girls are beautiful!
Thanks for stopping by Mom Caboodle.
Shanna :)

Cindy said...

What a wonderful post!
I love staying home with our girls and can't imagine our life any other way.
Thanks for sharing Oprah's quote, it was beautifully written and very inspiring.
Enjoy the night

A Hopeful Heart said...

This is a lovely post...but I must admit to being surprised that Oprah wrote such words. She has never seemed one to think very highly of those that embrace motherhood.

I had a high-falutin' job, as assistant to a bank president, but when I gave birth to my first child (20 years ago), I knew I would not return to the work force. I wanted to be home with my daughter, to experience all those firsts, to train her with our values, etc. It is a decision I have NEVER regretted. Even though there have been alot of financial struggles, I wouldn't have traded being home with my children for anything.

Truly, all I want to do is be a mommy!! It's THE MOST satisfying thing I've ever done!!

Have a lovely evening.

Love,
Patti

Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I never read what Oprah said about moms before. Thanks for sharing. Your girls are cuties!
www.crazyaboutmybaybah.com

~Krystle~ said...

I love this! I have been criticized many times for me and my husband choosing for me not to return to work after Punkin was born three years ago. Some even by our own family. I love reading things that remind me of why we chose this path and that it was the right path for us and knowing we are raising our girls with our strong values and morals. It still gets to me sometimes how a lot of people think stay at home moms do nothing but sit on the couch and eat bon bons all day and don't realize that its hard work and there are no days off, no breaks, and your boss is usually a very demanding baby that can't have a deadline extended or be put on hold. Thanks for this this day was one of those challenging days and it helped me out!

Vicki said...

Hello, Jill, sweet friend,
Absolutely beautiful post!! Thank you for sharing from your heart, and thank you for the great impact you are making on your girls and husband by the life you live. You are a true hero~Have the happiest of weekends~love and hugs~Vicki

Bec said...

lovely post Jill, just one more reason why women the world over need to band together and support each other for all the varied decisions we make. Parenting is one of the hardest and most rewarding careers there is.

Karen said...

Jill what a beautiful post.. and you are right on when you said that to be a MOM is to one of the hardest, most important, gratifying, life time , never ending Job , that we have been given the PLEASURE to do..
I have always felt like i had to watch my tongue when i express my feeling of stay @home moms, verses working moms. I believe that if you have been blessed by God to give birth to another one of his children, then you should be home to do that..and I KNOW that some times woman dont have the luxury of always getting to do that.. but I refused to work when my children were little, and i cut coupons and saved money in all kinda ways to be able to make it happen..
So GOD BLESS YOU FOR DOING THE JOB GOD GAVE YOU. No one will ever take care of your children like you do..