Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beautiful day for a nature walk and sweet treats!

What a gorgeous day! We decided to make some yummy fudge first thing so it would be ready for lunch! My best friend since childhood, Teresa; also Kathleen's Godmother bought us a wonderful cookbook as a gift. This book allows the children to actively participate in the cooking process. It comes with color coded measuring cups so the children can follow along in the book. The book is called No Bake Chef recipe book.
You can check out their website here: http://www.b-bel.ca/

All the recipes are egg free! Another plus for making great treats with Kathleen. :-) I'll be posting the recipe below as well. This is just so you get an idea of how the book is structured.

Here we are starting with all the necessary ingredients.

Putting everything together.....

Elvis sitting at the table and watching our every move! LOL


                                                                    Mixing time!!
Yeah, a recipe where she finally gets to lick the spoon!

I think she's enjoying it? LOL

So here is the recipe:

Yummy for my Tummy Fudgey!

Put the following in an 8 cup bowl and stir with spoon:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk

Microwave for 1 minute on high, stir with spoon, microwave 30 more seconds on high, stir with spoon

Add the following to the 8 cup bowl and stir until MELTED!

1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1/4 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts (optional....we left these out)

Place wax paper in the bottom of a square pan. Pour mixture on top. Put a little butter on your fingertips and spread fudge to the edges of the pan. Let sit in fridge for at least an hour. Enjoy!!!

It recommends adding icing and sprinkles, but it was so sweet just by itself, it really didn't need any extras.

So since it was so beautiful out, we took a nature walk around our development. I wanted to have her make necklaces out of her findings. So I traced a small bowl for the circle shape. Then cut them out and used a hole puncher to make a hole.
Then we set out with our brown lunch bag.....

Let the exploring begin!


We took time to observe the butterfly on the dandelion...

Picking some weeds flowers...

Taking time to visit with a caterpillar, and then putting him safely in the grass.

Taking a rest by our neighbor's beautiful fountain and being sure to say hi to the fish!

Back to our doorstep with wonderful finds!


We were so blessed to find so many goodies!!

She was so excited doing this craft, we got the idea that after it dries, we'll do a necklace and a banner of Fall beauty. :-)

Oh and Elvis did change chairs and make sure we were doing everything correctly! LOL He loves being with us.

Then I had to get down to business and prepare dinner. One of the ingredients for tonight is onions.
Don't laugh, when I was watching an episode of Paula Dean, she had on there about using safety classes to protect your eyes from the onions. My eyes are so sensitive. I knew I was giving it a try! It does work, and I used gloves to hold the onion. And Viola!...

Successfully cut and diced onions ready for dinner tonight!

So I must share this yummy recipe too. I was super happy to walk outside and pick my own tomatoes and peppers for this meal.

Chicken-Veggie Mix  ( You can also use beef)

1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 medium tomatoes chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 small green bell pepper chopped ! (1/2 cup)
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 cups bite sized pieces cooked chicken (or beef)
3 tablespoons raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt

1) Melt butter in 10 inch skillet over low heat. Stir in cornstarch. Stir tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and garlic into butter mixture. Cook about 5 mins., stirring frequently until hot.

2) Stir chicken (beef) raisins and salt into vegetable mixture. Cook about 5 mins, stirring frequently, until beef and raisins are hot.

Enjoy!

Here is a little song for Fall I taught Kathleen to sing. Now it's stuck in both our heads! LOL

Apple Man Song  ( Sung to tune of muffin man)

Oh do you know the apple man
The apple man, the apple man
Oh do you know the apple man
who likes to play with me?
Oh he has a great big smile, A great big smile, a great big smile
Oh he has a great big smile
And likes to play with me!

Have more to do today and lots of schoolwork.

Have a great day!

Blessings,
Jill

11 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

So cute....I think that cookbook is really cute and I LOVED how the measuring cups are color coded to help the kidlets know exactly how much to measure of the various ingredients...Oh, and no recipe is complete without being able to lick the spoon ;) It looks like you both had fun and Kathleen's pink chef's hat...that's really cute :) :) Everyone needs some pink somewhere :) :)

I don't recall Paula Deen using protective glasses and glove to chop onions...but it does make sense and if it keeps you from "crying" than that's good!!!!!

Have a fun time. I'll bet Hayley will be surprised with the fudge when she comes home from school :) Love and hugs from Oregon...oh, it rained today :) :) Yippeee...Heather :)

Jill said...

LOL Heather she only did it on one episode that I can recall and of course hers were fancier then mine! LOL The gloves... they were my idea. :-) Thanks for the sweet comment!

Cindy said...

Licking the spoon...the very best part!
Love the nature walk necklaces too!
Enjoy the day

Jamie said...

Jill.she is so cute in he chefs hat.It looks like you all had a very nice day out looking for treasures.
Blessings~

firefly said...

I open up my blogger dashboard and the word FUDGE jumps out at me... :) It looks like you ladies had a fun filled awesome day!!! Im going to try the fudge recipe, too... looks yummy!!

Lori said...

Hi Jill!! Thank-you for the visit!! I love meeting new people. :)
I love all of the things you did in this post!! How fun!! You found a lot of goodies on your nature walk.
Have a wonderful rest of the week!! ((BIG HUGS))!!

Karen said...

Great project...BUT YOUR CAT IN THAT PICTURE JUST CRACKS ME UP;; tooooooooo cute..

~Krystle~ said...

So much fun! You are very good at coming up with fun activities for your girls. I just love it...have a great end of the week!

Doug and Jhona said...

SO CUTE!!! I have seen Paula Deen with her goggles on too. I never once thought she looked weird. My only thought: GENIUS! I love the project and that your cat is included in all the fun learning. I love cats and Elvis just puts a smile on my face! Our cat, Posie, is always just as nosey:) But we love our Nosey Posie!

A Hopeful Heart said...

I love Kathleen's pink chef's hat!!! Too cute!!

Hugs,
Patti

Angie Berry said...

Elvis is so cute! I can honestly say I have never seen a cat sit in a chair like that and watch what's going on. Most cats are disinterested and want to be left alone. He is so adorable just sitting there watching it all!

I love the nature project! Very cute idea and she found lots of great stuff! My little guy always brings home pockets full of acorns, rocks, and leaves when we go on walks. It just cracks me up.