This one my husband enjoys, as I do not eat red meat at all.
Pork with squash and onions
4 lean pork loin or rib chops, about 1/2 inch thick ( about 1 lb)
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 medium onion cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pound)
1 medium unpeeled cooking apple, cored cut into eighths
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Trim fat from pork. Mix sage, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and garlic, rub on both sides of pork
2. Cook pork in 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side until brown. Place onion on pork Pour broth around pork. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low
3. Cut squash crosswise into 1 inch slices, remove seeds and fibers. Cut each slice into fourths. Place squash and apple on pork; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer about 15 mins. or until pork is not longer pink when cut near bone and squash is tender.
4. You can also just cook and serve squash to the side with it.
Lemon shrimp with squash
Lemon Rosemary Marinade (See below)
1 pound uncooked large shrimp in shells, thawed if frozen
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1 inch slices
1 small bell pepper cut into 1 inch wedges
1 small lemon cut into wedges
1. Make Lemon-Rosemary Marinade.
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves crumbled
Mix all ingredients in large shallow glass or plastic dish or resealable plastic food storage bag.
Add shrimp zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper to marinate; stir to coat. Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate 15 - 30 mins, stirring occasionally
2. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Remove shrimp and vegetables from marinade; discard marinade. Place shrimp and vegetables in grill basket (grill wok)
3. Cover and grill shrimp and vegetables 4 to 5 inches from medium heat 12 to 14 minutes, shaking basket or stirring shrimp mixture occasionally, until shrimp are pink and firm and vegetables are tender. To serve, peel shrimp. serve with lemon wedges.
Finally for today's post is the recipe we had for dinner this evening. This was really yummy!
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
1 can 20 oz pineapple chunks in juice
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon grated gingerroot or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
6 boneless , skinless chicken breast
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. spray 13 x 9 inch pan glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In 2 quart saucepan heat 3 cups of the broth to boiling over high heat. Add rice; reduce heat to medium low. Cover, simmer about 20 mins or until liquid is absorbed
2) Meanwhile drain pineapple juice into 2 cup measuring cup; add remaining 1/2 cup broth to make 1 1/4 cups. In another 2 quart saucepan, mix pineapple liquid, sugar, cornstarch, gingerroot , vinegar and soy sauce. Heat to boiling over high heat. Cook about 2 mins. stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in bell peppers and pineapples
3) Cut chicken into 2 1/2 1 inch strips. Spread rice in baking dish; arrange chicken strips over rice. Pour pineapple mixture over chicken and rice.
4) Cover dish with foil. Bake about 45 mins. or until chicken is no longer pink in center and mixture is bubbly.
Have a great night!