Friday, September 3, 2010

Yard sale preparations and thoughts

What a long day, and as I glance at the clock and see it's already after 8 pm; I have no idea where the day went. The girls and I were up early this morning to run some errands. Traffic was already insane! Our trip to Walmart luckily was only for a few items or I fear we may have been stuck there all day in the swarm of people! LOL

We are busily preparing for a rather large yard sale this weekend. The girls have really been working hard to help out. I'm about to post another of those delightful photos of my messy home! LOL But really it is a serious sort going on! It's amazing how much you accumulate when your home is over 3000 square feet! Yikes!

Let's play can you find Kathleen? :-) The dogs and cats knew to stay out of the way today, for fear of being lost among the abyss! Kathleen had her heart set on sneaking toys away to her room. LOL.

This is just a small sampling of the many items we are selling tomorrow. Believe it or not they are organized!
All clothing is washed, folded and labeled by sizes. Toys and their pieces are matched, etc. I think a yard sale can run quite smoothly with lots of preparation. We have one at least once a year and have had regulars come back. Especially the Moms who children are a bit younger then mine, and they know the outgrown clothes will be available. We sell the clothes for 25 cents a piece. Tomorrow I will take more pictures of the set up. Really we could open our own store! We have 4 floors to our home, so much of it is neatly stored away. Honestly my house does NOT look like this each day. :-)

I guess I'll need to post some house pictures of how we really live one day soon. Then this little evil visitor tempted me today....

Don't get me wrong, I like soda. That's the problem... I like it too much! When I stress or have a late night, I find myself reaching for one. Ugh! I know how horrible they are for your body. In fact I will not allow my children to have them. It's a habit I do not want them to develop. Maybe I should start a support group to STOP drinking soda, LOL Can anyone else relate to this? ;-)

My online University opened the "classrooms" today for a preview of what's to come in our courses. This is the first time I've taken classes online. I am use to a classroom/ lecture room with tons of classmates listening to a real live teacher. When I opened the first class up I was quite overwhelmed. The reading is going to take hours. They say for one course the minimum to expect to spend a week is 10-15 hours! Hmmm I'm already trying to devise a plan to add more hours in the day. (Which I have yet to figure out ;-) But I'm a Mom and I am very determined; so I know, somehow I will get it "ALL" done.

Which kinda leads me into the "lovely" comment on my blog earlier, which I removed from comments. If you're reading this, great. I will not be visiting, nor following your blog back anytime soon. This person basically said that since I was a Stay at Home Mom that I was lazy. I am guessing he thought to insult me, but I am not affected by a person who knows nothing about me. A random blog hopper who trashes others is not welcome here. I blog for my enjoyment and to document my children's lives, and to meet some truly amazing people. Obviously a person who calls a Stay at Home Mom lazy, has never filled those shoes. I am most assured that I am the farthest thing from lazy there is. In one day I probably accomplish more then this person ever will. I do not like negativity because I feel it benefits no one. I can only guess this person is unhappy with their place in life. For that I can feel nothing but sympathy. So I will keep them in my prayers. I only hope his other "victims" are as strong and let this roll off them too. There are way too many real problems in this world then to react to something so mundane. Sorry for this point of unpleasantness, but I just had to address it.

On a happier note, I was most honored to be featured on a friend of mine's blog today. I wanted to get a post on earlier but today was so crazy with running! Patti has a beautiful blog that makes me smile each time I visit and she is so inspirational. To view what she wrote about my blog today please click here:
While you're there be sure to check out her other posts. It's a very lovely place to visit. Thank you again Patti! I greatly appreciate your kind words.

I'm leaving you tonight with one of my favorite poems. It's in another of my posts, but tonight I'm just rewriting it. For anyone who is facing struggles, challenges or new beginnings please reflect upon these words and keep the faith. All things happen for a reason, even if we cannot see it at the time.

The Oak Tree
by: Johnny Ray Rider Jr.

A mighty wind blew night and day
It stole the oak tree's leaves away
Then snapped its boughs and pulled it's bark
Until the oak was tired and stark
But still the oak tree held it's ground
While other trees fell all around
The weary wind gave up and spoke
How can you still be standing Oak?
The Oak tree said, I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two
Carry every leaf away
Shake my limbs and make me sway
But I have roots stretched in the earth
Growing stronger since my birth
You'll never touch them, for you see
They are the deepest part of me
Until today, I wasn't sure
Of just how much I could endure
But now I've found, with thanks to you
I'm stronger then I ever knew


Also one of my favorite quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt
"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Goodnight and Blessings to all.

Jill

17 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Jill...wow , I LOVE yard sales..I think you will do well with your sale!!! I mean, I LOVE yard sales..oh, I said that already..hee heehee :) :) Today, after work, my dad and I were just going to go to the grocery store and then go HOME...but he saw a yard sale sign..and my sweet daddy decided we'd stop BEFORE the grocery store :) :) :) I found one thing...a very nice pair of sheer white curtains..for $1 for the set. I'm going to use them in the living room.I love having the blinds opens and letting in lots of sunlight...at the same time, I do like some privacy too..without feeling like the neighbor's have a clear view of my living room.

I'm sorry about the nasty comment from Mr. Mean...I haven't been able to read a lot of my favorite blogs lately because of work. I work and it's tiring. Oh, SAHM's are AWESOME and work hard...many of my friends are stay at home mom's and it's work!!! My aunt raised 9 kids being a SAHM...and she did a fabulous job!!!! You are right, it's work and you get so much done!!!! Remember, your identity is found in Jesus Christ :) :)

Oh, I had to laugh when I saw those stacks of storage boxes...those giant blue ones. I have the exact same ones in my room still. Evenetually I'll get rid of them...or get rid of all the stuff inside so that I can put the boxes back in storage. I'd thought about getting rid of the boxes...than changed my mind, realizing I may need them later on, if I move.

I'm only schedules for 20 hours next week...so I'll have lots more free-time to read all of the awesome blogs:) :) :) Kathleen...I almost didn't spot her in that one photo. Will she get to keep the toys she "sneaked" into her room...or at least tried to? :) :) :) That's so cool that you're selling the clothes for $0.25 each...that'll really help those moms with the younger kids!!! What a blessing to them!!!

Have a great weekend, Jill. Much love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jill, I am visiting by way of my friend Patti's blog and feature of you. She was so right. You are certainly a wonderful lady and doing incredible work being a stay at home mom. Which is one of the toughest jobs around.
Your blog is lovely and I so enjoyed my visit and now a happy new follower too.

So nice to meet you and God Bless you and all that you do, being a SAHM. I applaud you!

Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

~Brenda said...

Love, love, love that quote from Mrs. Roosevelt. Good for you for taking her advice.

SAHM's are one of the hardest working people I know. Just reading your posts exhaust me. I don't know how he ever made that judgment about you!

And you are not alone. I love soda. Unfortunately, for me, I haven't been able to drink them for years because of all my intestinal diseases. Ugh. Do you think they have soda in heaven?

~Brenda said...

We have to stop communicating this way, Jill. Heehee. Do you by chance have a facebook page? Maybe we could do better there, instead of replying on each other's blogs.

Anyway, I don't have much info on my health issues on Prairie Tales. I guess I need to add an "about me" page. There's one on my writing blog at www.thebrokenquill.com if you're interested. It kinda explains the health thing more.

Thanks for praying for me. Can't tell you how much that means to me.

I'm counting on guilt free soda, chocolate, bread, grains of any kind ... so much more than soda. I WILL pig out once I get to heaven.

Kat said...

Jill,

What a total jerk to call you lazy. OM-Goodness you're a great mom and everyone that reads your blog knows that!
Wow I hope your garage sale goes great, it looks like a lot of stuff you need to get rid of. It's funny how when kids are around they grow out of everything so fast and the high chair, guess you don't need that right now or do you? I will have to read what class your taking online that sounds fun.
Enjoy your holiday weekend! big hugs

Kat said...

Jill that was so sweet of your blog visitor to write about you, I went to read what she wrote and I agree with her your blog is so inspiring because you love your lovelies so much and have so much fun with then and it shows. Your job is the hardest job in the world, so this male that came to your blog if he is working how does he have time to read a stay at home moms blog? to funny! what a weirdo. big hugs

~Krystle~ said...

Hey Jill, thanks so much for the comments on my blog, today was a better day and I am seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel.

As far as the ignorance goes, it bothers me sometimes how a lot of society has labeled SAHM'S lazy! Good for you for taking the high road and your quote is right on. There are way to many bigger issues to worry about.

Good luck on your sale tomorrow, and have a great weekend!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jill! Good luck with your yard sale. I hope you do well. Just ignore the rude comment. Some people can just be mean for no reason. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sheila said...

Jill,
Good luck with your yard sale. I remember my girls trying to sneak toys back into the house when they were younger and we had a sale. Poor things!!
I'm sorry you had a rude comment--you are the most active stay at home mom I know--you are always busy with your girls--something I love. Your girls are so fortunate to have a mom like you.
I quit Mt. Dew cold turkey a couple of years ago--and I had been hooked for well over 10 years. I don't miss it at all though I did for a few months. I can't remember the last time I had a soda. Good luck!!
I'm off to check out your friends blog. I hope y'all have the most wonderful weekend. Take care.

Bec said...

Yay for yard sales! Yours looks like one I would love to visit! SOrry about th emean comment, even though you know its so far from the truth it still makes you feel yuck doesnt it!? We all know and YOU know that lazy is the last thing a sahm is so that is all tha matters (your gorgeous bright girls are the proof!!).
ANyway enough on that, have a great yard sale tomorrow and I love the little poem xx

The Teacher's Pets said...

I feel as if I was actually in your home as I read your post this morning! You must be just as inviting in person as you are as a blogger. Can I come over and help you set up your yard sale? Heehee!
Anyway, I couldn't resist visiting this morning b/c I am a yard sale fanatic! I need a bumper sticker for my car that reads "I brake for yard sales" but I haven't located one yet!
I was also happy to know that you have cats and dogs because, as you know, I am a professional pet sitter and I "brake" for all things furry too!
How rude that someone who doesn't even know you to put you down for being a stay at home mom! I confess that I am not a mom but I certainly know what mom's do and it's not an even task to juggle so much each day! When I was a nanny years ago I was shocked to find out how tired I was at the end of the day! Raising children is the most important job ever and I'm glad you let that guy's comment roll off your back! Personally, I think he either has too much time on his hands and perhaps he's jealous too! Glad you mentioned this so we could support you!

Vic said...

that is a whole lotta stuff:) i often just donate our stuff because there are never any yard sales here...condo living doesn't really give us a great yard sale to go to when your in a gated community. I love ur flooors:) so pretty!

Pepsi and that cherry coke is my fave especially when i need energy. let's not get soda wrong here. we can totally indulge and quench the thirst while burning off calories because it does give you energy. Now eating a ton of junk with it is a no no.

I say we start a group to just drink those and eat very small portions...we're good to go!

Gorgeous poem:) thanks for sharing love!

Karen said...

Wish I lived closer.. i would be by to visit you and buy some of your goodies at your yard sale..
Good luck today.. and PS.. One soda a day is not bad for you..just pick a time that you can savor and enjoy it, but limit it to only one a day.
To give it up completely is to deprive yourself, and then you just want it more cause you feel you cant have it.. So you can have it..you just CHOOSE when you want it...

A Hopeful Heart said...

How horrible of someone to leave such an ugly comment. Truly, that person doesn't have a clue!!! Our society today is reaping the ugly consequences of two or three decades of moms not being around their children during those crucial, formative years. Today's youth and young adults are rebellious and disrespectful, in large part because they didn't receive training at a young age. They are unconnected to their families because their families were unconnected to them when they were young. Raising up children to be decent, well-adjusted, respectful people is a high and noble calling, and if that person doesn't understand that, how sad for him...and his children!!

And beyond that, I will never understand why people choose to leave ugly, argumentative comments on someone's blog. I mean, there are plenty of blogs to read. If you dont' like what the blog you are reading has to say, then go on to another one. Is it really necessary to say unkind words to someone you will never meet? Is it really necessary to engage in debates over the internet?

Anyhow, I hope your garage sale goes well and that you make a good chunk of change. I had a garage sale 4th of July weekend...got rid of some stuff so I could go to garage sales and buy more!!

That is a great poem. Such true words.

Finally, thanks for your sweet words about my blog. I enjoyed writing about you and introducing you to some of my blog readers.

Blessings and hugs,
Patti

Jill said...

Thank you lovely ladies for your wonderful, inspiring comments! :-) I greatly appreciate them!

Cindy said...

It' amazing how much "stuff" can fill a home before you even notice it!!:)
Glad everything seemed to go well today and that everyone got a little something special from all their hard work!:)
Enjoy the night

Angie Berry said...

That first picture is so funny, I didn't even see Kathleen until you mentioned she was in there! Lol! That's what my family room looked like last week as I was preparing for a garage sale (only I didn't think about taking a picture, I was in turbo speed mode). My husband was a little worried that I would be able to get through it all and have it ready in time but I did it! Our home is 3,000 sq. ft. and I started going through all the rooms during summer. I know what you mean about accumulating so much stuff!! SO much work but it's worth it when you see a child so excited about a toy that your child outgrew. I just love that part!

Sorry about your negative comment. That is so very wrong. I have two blogs and started my first one in 2006 and I have never, ever had a negative comment. That person is obviously unhappy with their life and seems to be jealous of yours. You are so far from being lazy... the other end of the spectrum for sure! I find myself often wishing I had your energy! I'm glad to see that it hasn't gotten you down.