Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fun at the Fall Fest! Mashed potato soup!

Hayley's school had a Fall festival Friday night. For a $1.00 per child. You couldn't beat all the goodies they got and it went towards a great fundraiser for the school. We had lots of fun. :-)


Races rolling the gourds!



Digging for gold in the hay stack!



Decorating pumpkins and Kathleen found the biggest one!



The got to make their own scarecrows too!



Racing in scarecrow clothes!


TATTOOS!!


Making necklaces



Sliding and having lots of fun!

Wrapping up with caramel apples. apple cider and popcorn! They also got to select a baked good. I was so happy that they made pumpkin bread that was nut, egg and dairy free! So Kathleen got to enjoy a piece! She was so excited! That really meant a lot to us that someone took the time to think of the children with allergies and to include them. :-)



Wrapped it up with a beautiful sunset.


I still seriously need to get a camera that takes better shots!

Now for a yummy recipe to enjoy....

Mashed potato soup

4 baking potatoes (about 2 lbs)
4 slices bacon
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 cups milk
4 oz shredded monterey jack
Salt and pepper
4 oz sour cream
2 tbsp chopped chives or scallions

1) Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on high until cooked through, turning once, 12 to 15 mins total. Let cool slightly and scoop out flesh, discarding skins. Mash with a fork. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp, turning once, about 10 min total. Let cool then crumble.

2) Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth and light golden, about 2 mins. Slowly whisk in milk and cook, whisking, until thickened, 5 to 6 mins.

3) Stir in cheese, potatoes, and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Cook stirring until cheese melts and soup is heated through. Whisk in sour cream. Check seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each with bacon and chives.

ENJOY!!!

Blessings,
Jill

Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

How fun...all these events...sounds like you and the girls had a great time...:) :) :) It really made me smile today :) :) Okay...I have to say my favorite photo is the daddy/daughters photo :) :) :) It reminds me of the fun times I had with my dad as a kid :) :)

Oh, pumpkin decorating looked like fun, too. Oh, funny story...when I was studying abroad in Norway....thte American students decided to throw a Halloween party...and we wanted to have a pumpkin carving contest. The only problem was pumpkins aren't really plentiful there...so instead we had a vegetable carving contest...and needless to say...it was really funny...carved turnips, carrots...and even a carved purple eggplant with toothpicks for fangs..It was hilarious. I think the carved eggplant won the prize :)

Oh I'm glad someone thought to make friendly/fun foods for the kidlets with allergies. That was really sweet....so they could feel included and p articipate in the fun....which must include yummy treats to eat :) :) I tell you what....stuff like that...even though I'm a grown-up...is still so much fun for me :)

Thanks for sharing the photos...Oh, I have a Kodak EasyShare C182 camera...very simple...but if you like the photos that I take, that's the kind of camera that I use...very simple...not overly pricey at all...
Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Mandie said...

That looks like so much fun! How wonderful that someone made allergy free goodies. I am sure that is hard to come by. That mashed potato soup sounds yummy and hardy. Great soup for a cool day, mmm.

Life In a Little House said...

Hey Jill..thanks for stopping by my Blog it's great to meet you! You have a super cute blog and your girls are beautiful...I can't wait to follow along with you and your family here....I had to giggle when you commented about getting a better camera I will have to post a picture of mine it's hanging on by a thread....well actually some duct tape is holding it together lol and my daughter recently dropped it in her french toast making it sticky hehehe ....amazing the wonders of duct tape ~love Heather

Bec said...

Hi Jill, it looks like you have really been getting out and about lately! Looks like you all have been having heaps of fun, I love how happy and involved your hubby always looks with his girls.

Linda said...

Hi Jill,
What wonderful pictures and you all look as if you had a great time!
Your children are beautiful!
I love homemade soup and I will look forward to trying this recipe out.
Enjoy your day.
Blessings

Sheila said...

Jill,
It looks like y'all had a wonderful time. I well remember going to the school carnivals when my girls were little. So much fun. Now,that recipe is my kind of recipe. I love mashed potato soup--can't wait to try it. I love seeing how happy Jerry is doing things with his girls. I hope y'all have a wonderful day. Take care.

~ Noelle said...

how fun!
that is so cool that the school does that!
might have to try that soup recipe now that it is getting cooler :)

Lynn said...

Cool it looks like just had so much fun, I would love that also. Thanks for the recipe on the soup I love potatoe soup and I will have to try that but I will have to make a smaller one because hubby won't eat it, and I will definitely share the recipe with my daughter she loves potatoe also, hope you have a good week :o)