Thursday, October 7, 2010

Halloween painting, Sunrise, and a gift from my husband :-)


It has been so busy here! We've been running from different activities and planning for a busy weekend!
 Woke up to this beautiful sunrise.... the pictures don't do it justice though.


There were so many shades of pink in the sky, so pretty. But my camera wasn't cooperating. :-(

Yesterday I had errands to run. One of the things was letting Kathleen use her allowance money she's been saving for. So she decided on the newest Barbie movie.


I'll say Barbie has sure changed a lot since I was little! LOL Cute movie.

Then we picked up some craft supplies. One of her favorite things to do is paint so she selected these for Halloween.


Pretty cool paint on the bat...it glows in the dark! LOL

My husband cut this rose from our garden the other day as a bud, this morning it looked like this smelling heavenly! This afternoon it opened even more......

So beautiful, it's right in my windowsill and makes me smile each time I look at it.

He surprised me with something else last night. He found this 12 piece dish set as a goodwill store for $20.00. China set made in Japan. Not antique, but beautiful! It has cups with saucers, plates, salad bowls and dessert dishes. Again the pictures don't do it justice. I rearranged my hutch today. washed everything and put it away. He always thinks of me and I am so blessed to have him in my life.


Quite a deal for $20.00! Especially 12 pieces with not a scratch or chip or anything! I am looking forward to using these when I host Thanksgiving this year, which also happens to be Kathleen's birthday!

I also thought I would share some interesting facts with you about Monarch butterflies: I received the information from Birds and Blooms Magazine. I enjoy teaching these type of nature facts to both my girls.

100 plus female monarchs lay 100 eggs or more on a single milkweed plant

60 degrees is the temperature monarchs need it to be before they can warm their muscles up to fly.

There are only 12 mountaintops in Mexico where you can find Monarch butterflies during the winter.

Adult monarch butterfly feeding on a ZinniaImage via Wikipedia
The only food on a Monarch's menu is milkweed.

Monarchs travel an average of 50 miles a day during their migration

A tagged Monarch once traveled 265 miles in a single day!

Most Monarchs typically spend only two to six weeks in butterfly form. The first three to four weeks of life are spent as an egg, as a caterpillar and in a chrysalis

Only some Monarchs migrate. Roughly four generations of monarchs live and die in any given year.




Male Monarch Butterfly, Danaus plexippusImage via Wikipedia


Enhanced by Zemanta

I just love the beauty and grace of a butterfly. :-) Hope you are all having a great day!

Been having real issues with the new picture upload feature on blogger. Anyone else having trouble?

Many Blessings!
Jill

9 comments:

Mandie said...

Those dishes are beautiful! How wonderful they are, hubby bought them and they were a great deal. I love it! Those Halloween ceramics are great. My girls love to paint those. I think my youngest has a million horses, lol. I am not too fond of the new pic. loader that blogger has either. There are so many steps to go through now when I get pics. off my SD drive. Maybe they will get the kinks ironed out. I love that your husband scares the older kids, lol. My husband wants to dress up this year and he NEVER wants to dress up. We are having a lot of fun with this holiday stuff, lol. Have a wonderful Thursday!!

Sheila said...

What a nice husband you have!! The tea set is gorgeous!! Lovely sunrise and rose. Kathleen is looking more grown up in each picture--such a cutie!! Each year of our homeschooling, we raised painted lady butterflies. It's amazing to watch the transformation. We also hatched some praying mantises one year--who knew there were so many babies in the egg sack!! We tried frogs, but we couldn't get them to live. I hope you are having a lovely week. Take care.

Lynn said...

Those are cute little pieces to paint and looks like she had fun doing it also. The dishes are just beautiful and so is the rose :o) I loved reading about the butterflies, thanks so much, I love butterflies so much also, hope you have a good day!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill...
Halloween fun :) :) It's always fun to pick out craft supplies!!!! Kathleen is really developping a sense of style! Is Hayley making any Halloween items...like jewelry etc?

Your hubby is really sweet to buy you those dishes!!! The design is delicate and very nice :) :)

I haven't had any more trouble than usual uploading pictures to blogger. Every once in awhile when I try to upload photos, one won't upload...so I cancel the whole upload...redo it...and it's fine the second time around. However, I have had some issues logging OUT of my blogger account. Sometimes I get this edit that it "can't find the page"...weird..so I just "x" out of it!!!

The sunrise photo is beautiful...and I don't see the pinks, but I sure do see gold :) :) :) It's gorgeous!!!

Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

A Primitive Homestead said...

I love the magazine Birds & Blooms. So many wonderful articles & photos. The butterflies are beautiful. Your rose is pretty. Mine have stopped blooming. Good deal on such amazing dishes. Enjoy! Happy for you. Blessings!

Liz said...

I love sunrise. One of my favorite times of the day! That's actually when we are having Avery's first year pictures taken, I hope we get some great sunrise backgrounds! What a sweet husband! The rose is beautiful and I love the dishes.

Jenny said...

What a sweet hubby you have! I can't believe you still have a rose bloom. So lucky. Those dishes are truly lovely.

Camille said...

How lovely those dishes are Jill! What a thoughtful husband you have! And how wonderful that he found them for such a good price! Amazing! I often think those types of things are gifts from the LORD. :)

Blessings to you!
Camille

Patty said...

Hi,

I found your blog while reading The Country Blossom and wanted to comment about the Monarch Butterfly. We live in Texas and each year they stop by our house on their way to Mexico. This year we had more than normal. I love how they fill the trees; when you walk under the trees they come alive as the butterflies begin flapping their wings and flying overhead. It’s truly spectacular.