Monday, October 11, 2010

Popcorn balls, corn painting and more! :-)

We enjoyed having Hayley home with us to participate in some of our planned activities. We made yummy popcorn balls. The girls had a blast and loved the sensory part of the project! LOL Here's the recipe followed by more pictures.
Colorful Popcorn balls

Makes about 15 3 inch balls.

12 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup of kernals)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine
1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
1   3 oz. package any flavor gelatin (We chose strawberry)
Cooking Spray
Waxed paper
Colorful plastic wrap
Curling ribbon
Decorative stickers

Directions: Pour the popped popcorn into a large bowl. Melt the margarine and the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl on high in the microwave (about 2 mins.) add the gelatin;then stir the mixture well. Pour the mixture over the popcorn, stirring until the popcorn is evenly coated. allow it to cool slightly.

Spray cooking sparay on your child's clean hands. Have them shape it into balls and set on wax paper to cool completely. Wrap the ball in colorful plastic wrap;then tie the ends with curling ribbon. Decorate with stickers.

We did sample ours along the way, LOL

There was much joy and laughter making these today!

Next I had gotten a few ears of feeder corn. We set some out for the squirrels but we also did a painting project and got really creative and messy! Second messy project in one day! What was I thinking? LOL


Then we went on a mission hunting for leaves....


After finding our perfect leaves, we brought them in to do leaf prints. By laying the leaves under the paper and using the side of the crayons to rub over the paper. Creating images of the leaves.

The girls then went back out to collect more leaves for their own project.:-)

Then we are working on a little science project. We wrapped acorns into wet towels and placed them in the window sill. Keeping the towels moist we will be observing them for sprouts. :-)

While the girls had their snacks I made halloween themed cupcakes for Jerry's work.


It has been quite a busy day
Well Blogger is freezing up while I'm typing so that's all for today!

Blessings,
Jill

18 comments:

Mandie said...

Oh my goodness, what fun you all had today!!! I love making popcorn balls, they are always sooo yummy. I haven't used marshmallows though, I will be trying that! You are so creative and your kids are so blessed to have you as a mommy. They are going to grow up to be great mommies just like you. I absolutely love their faces with their hands in the marshmallows, lol!

I have been praying for you today!

Chelle said...

Looks like you had a fun day. I'll have to try the popcorn balls with my kids. It looked like fun.

Karen said...

Hey Jill.. I cant wait until my grand daughter gets just a little bit older so we can start doing some of that kinda thing.. at 2 1/2 its just too hard to get her sit still let alone do a project.. but the time will come..
thanks for sharing..looks like loads of fun..

Liz said...

What an incredible day! Looks like they had so much fun too! You always come up with the best activities for the girls! I love the facial expressions when they are making the popcorn balls! Too funny!

By the way I've awarded you some blog awards! Come check it out!
http://chalkboardstostrollers.blogspot.com/2010/10/more-blog-awards.html

SonyaAnn said...

In my next life can I be your kid?
You have the sweetest and most wholesome family ever!
Have a wonderful week!

Donna said...

Jill, these photos are SOOoo sweet!!! Oh, you make me miss my kids being little so much. It's like seeing my past revisited. You would cringe if you could see what the boys did this last weekend. They USED to make leaf rubbings and popcorn balls...but that was a LONG time ago!

xo
Donna @ Comin' Home

Kerri said...

What a busy and fun day you guys had! I love the popcorn ball pictures! What a sticky mess! Kids always love it...but not one of my favorite things to make! Thanks for the leaf rubbing reminder...I will have to do that with my son. We've never done that before!

Wendi said...

What a fun day! I love your idea of painting with the corn. Great idea!

A Gracious Home said...

I will have to make some of those popcorn balls with the grands. Jaxson, just turned 5, made leaf paintings at school Friday. Kids are such a joy. Doylene

Cindy said...

What a fun messy day...the very best kind right!:)
Those cupcakes are making me hungry...
Enjoy the night

Susan said...

What a FUN Mom you are!
Blessings!

Jenny said...

You are such a super mom. Way to go. We just made these yummy caramel popcorn pretzel goodies that reminded me of the popcorn balls my grandma used to make. Great minds think alike. I love the corn painting idea. Fun!

Adriane said...

Hi Jill, I haven't been able to visit blogs much here lately so I'm catching up tonight.

It looks like y'all have had a lot of fun. I agree, you are a fun mom!

I also wanted to say that I'm praying for you & your family. (regarding your previous post)

I enjoyed visiting here again. Hopefully, things will slow down soon so I can visit my blog friends more!

Life In a Little House said...

Wow you guys are having way to much fun over here! My daughter would love the popcorn balls I will have to print out the recipe...great pictures Thanks for sharing ~Love Heather

Veronica Lee said...

How fun!! You're an awesome mom!!

Have a nice day!

Linda said...

Precious post and beautiful photos!
The popcorn balls sound wonderful!
Blessings

Sara said...

Looks like everyone had a great time!! Thanks for sharing the popcorn ball recipe!!

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

Those popcorn balls look like such a gooey mess! My daughters would love it! That is one thing I have yet to make with them...thanks for the idea!