Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A special thought about aprons and homemaking. Recipe included! :-)

see filenameImage via Wikipedia
I received this in an email, and it did not include the original author, but I felt it was certainly worthy of sharing.

The History of Aprons

" I don't think our kids know what an apron is. The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. it was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses, and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
    When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids....and when the weather was cold Grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought in the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
   In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the rd., it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
  It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old time apron' that served so many purposes. Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw. They would go crazy today trying to figure out how many germs were on the apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron -but love."    Author Unknown.

This post just spoke to my heart, of the simpler, meaningful times in life. The ones so few of us in today's society take the time to treasure and enjoy. The love of families that stayed together through thick and thin. They set loving examples for generations to come. I love when the girls and I cook together with our aprons on, and at times they even wear their "chef" hats. :-) Creating sweet, loving memories, that I know, I will always treasure. I thank God every day that he has blessed my family and my husband with a job that allows me to stay at home and raise and care for our children.  I feel it is such an important job.

I'd like to also share a book today that is one of my girl's favorites. It's called Mud Pie Annie, God's Recipe for Doing Your Best, by Sue Buchanan.



It's a delightful story about a little girl using her imagination and creativity from the simple things around her. It includes several recipes in the back, one of which I have included below.

No Bake fudge Cookies

2 C. sugar
1/2 C. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 cup margarine
1 tsp vanilla
Mix in saucepan and cook until it boils. Boil 1-3 mins.
Remove from heat and add:
1/2 C. peanut butter
3 C. Quaker instant oats
Drop by teaspoon fulls on wax paper
Let cool and Enjoy!

Thanks for visiting today, and a warm welcome to my new followers! I am off to another appointment this AM, but will be visiting everyone later on.

Have a great day!

Blessings,
Jill

Enhanced by Zemanta
Found a blog hop this afternoon i decided to try to meet fellow bloggers. If you are visting from there...Welcome! If you'd like to check it out and follow along, and post your site please visit:
http://www.inspiringyou2save.com/  Have a great afternoon!

24 comments:

Mandie said...

I love this post Jill. Aprons are sooo special. I have a huge love for them. There are some really great books out there with different ones pictured and even some patterns. I have two that I leave sitting out because they are so beautiful. Hobby Lobby runs a great sale on their patterns every now and then where they are .99. I have bought up all of the pretty patterns I could, lol. I love to read all of the great uses they have. And when I think of the old timey days I think of aprons and squeaky screen doors, among others but those are my favorites ;)

Sheila said...

I love this post. I wish I had some of my Ma-Maws aprons. My great Ma-Maw used to wear these little jacket things to do housework and aprons when she cooked. I had one of her jackets for years but with all the moves, it seems to have been lost. I wish I could find a pattern to make some though. They both had frilly aprons and plain aprons--depended on the day of cooking as to which they wore. Thanks for the memories. I hope y'all are having a great week.

Tracey said...

What a wonderful post, Jill! I too love when my daughter and I cook together and yes, we both have aprons, but rarely wear them. Precious examples and memories you are making for yourself and your daughters, as well! I think it's time for my daughter and I to put on our aprons :) Have a lovely day!
Blessings,
Tracey

Julie said...

Aprons and me, well we don't get along. They fit funny, to high, to long, to low, just not right but I did love the story.
We call those cookies chocolate drop quickies minus the peanut butter. They are excellent. Do your stay soft or firm up to fudge consistance?
Take care, have a blessed afternoon.

McVal said...

Love the apron story!
Those look like the old Chocolate No-Bake cookies of my youth! yummy!

Momma of Three {Kenna} said...

Thanks so much for following! I am now following you:)

Toyin O. said...

Praise God for all that he is doing in your life and family. Great insight of the Apron story.

I just also wanted to thank you for your visit and gracious comment. Have a great day!

Alea said...

Lovely post! I still hav some of my great-grandmothers aprons. No Bake cookies are my all-time favorite cookie!

Lynn said...

I absolutely loved this post I loved reading that about the Apron and I am gonna save that, I think I am gonna print that and make a little paper apron to go with it and frame it and I will make one for my daughter also, that is so true about the Apron and it just brings back so many memories of being young and remembering my great grandma and grandmas with their aprons, thanks so much for sharing this with us, and I hope your doctor appt is a good one :o)

Jennifer @ The Thrifty Military Wife said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog & following me! I am now following you as well.

Himadri said...

thanks for the apron story....i have never thought of an apron that way...i am copyin the recipe....will try it.....ur daughter is very preety....i know kids of her age hate this but i feel like pulling her cheeks..lol
i am following ur blog too...thanks for followin mine.

Vic said...

what a very beautiful post my dear:) i love it so much i wanna frame it! that is the best recipe ever...thank u...how did u know i was thinking of no bakes...yumm! it's that time of year:) what a doll...she's so dahhhhling

Misty said...

Thanks for stopping by and following me. I am following you back! I have read this about the aprons. Things just don't seem to happen the way they used to, huh? Great recipe too! Thanks!

Nancy said...

I am a new follower
Nancy
www.findingblessingsineverydaylife.blogspot.com
I hope you will also follow me

Holly said...

Love it!

Following you back...thanks for stopping by my blog!

A Primitive Homestead said...

Very nice story Jill. My Great Gram wore a full aprons & my Gram wore the waist aprons. A few years ago I drove by a yard sale & stopped. It was over but the lady said take any thing you want for free. She was going to take things to the good will. How kind of her I thought. I found this old wood woven clothes basket like one my gram had & a waist apron. The apron even looked like a design my Gram had. These were such a treasure for me. I have treated my self to two full aprons since. Not many use aprons today but I so enjoy mine. Blessings!

Just Married with Coupons said...

Hiya! Great post! I am stopping by from Wandering Wednesday and following your blog. I would love if you came to our site too at Just Married with Coupons

-Dawn

A Hopeful Heart said...

Hi, my sweet friend. I've missed you. I just haven't been getting my usual computer time, and I am really missing my blog friends.

This is a lovely post. I am a huge lover of aprons. There is such an old-fashioned loveliness about them. I have several aprons, and I always wear one when I do the dishes or cook. And I even put one on yesterday when I dusted the house, because I was wearing a navy blue skirt, and you know how dust shows on dark clothing.

Keep on enjoying those lovely times with your girls. You're making wonderful memories with them.

Love,
Patti

Rachel said...

Love the story of the apron, I was thinking that me and my daughter should have matching ones a few months ago. Now I want matching ones even more.
Thanks for following, now following back.

Mama Hen said...

I love this story about the apron. I always loved seeing my grandma with her apron. She always had some candy in one pocket and a tissue for tears and noses in the other. I will have to check the book out. It looks great. Have a good night!

Mama Hen

Angela said...

Thanks for following Mommy Time Out

Along A Widowed Road said...

Hi Jill,
I found your blog on another of my blogger friend's site. Loved reading about the PTA for the 1930s.
I look forward to coming back and reading some more.

I'm Viola from Poway, CA (borders San Diego). I've been widowed 3 yrs and I've got a little one at home.I'm starting over in all aspects.

Come over and check out my blog!

Take care,

Viola of:
www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com

Angie Berry said...

I've seen this story before and cry every time I read it. The first time I read it, I couldn't stop crying! Such a beautiful reminder of my own grandmothers that I miss so much! Also, a wonderful reminder to make time for those we love to make lasting memories with them.

Camille said...

What a lovely post Jill! How fun to think that an apron was used for ALL those tasks!! I wear an apron too...but I've never collected eggs in it or brought in wood chips. :)

You are right...being a stay at home MOM is a WONDERFUL occupation and has MANY benefits and blessings attached to it.

Have a lovely evening!
Camille