Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A teepee, a turkey, some songs and a recipe! :-)

MMMMMMM as I am typing, I am enjoying the mouth watering smells of dinner cooking! As the wind is whistling through the windows, I am thankful for my warm home. :-) Tonight for dinner I am using my crock pot and cooking a yummy meal: Chicken and rice casserole! I took this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Fix-It and forget it lightly by Phyllis Pellman Good.

Ingredients:

1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
3 cups water
2 tsp. low sodium chicken bouillon granules
10 3/4 oz can fat free, low sodium cream of chicken soup
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp onion salt
1 cup grated, fat free cheddar cheese
16 oz bag frozen broccoli, thawed (I'm using mixed veggies)

1. Combine all ingredients except broccoli (veggies) in slow cooker
2. One hour before end of cooking time, stir in broccoli (veggies)
3. Cook on high for a total of 3-4 hours or on low for a total of 6-7 hours.

Enjoy!!

As I've mentioned before, I love my crock pot meals! They are great for busy days. Plus the house always smells so good!

Kathleen and I got busy early with our learning today. we talked more about Native Americans and Thanksgiving. First we made a teepee after discussing the early symbols they used to communicate. She tried to copy some on her teepee as well




After completing the artwork we rolled it up and stapled it.

Next we got busy working on our turkeys, gobble,gobble
I drew the circles so she could color them brown, then cut out shapes for her to design her turkey



We also learned some new songs/ finger plays

We go to Grandma's on Thanksgiving Day.
Mom helps cook while we run and play (pretend to run)
When dinner is ready, I wash my face, (pretend to wash face)
Then sit at the table in my special place (sit)
After we say the blessing, (fold hands)
We eat lots of turkey and dressing (pretend to eat)
For dessert we always have a treat,
because pumpkin pie is so good to eat. ( rub stomach)


Mrs. turkey, a pretty fat hen, (curve arms at side, stand tall)
Lives with other turkeys in a pen.
They spend the day talking turkey talk, (open and close hand)
"gobble, gobble, gobble"
strutting proudly as they walk,
wobble,wobble,wobble. (place hands under arms, move elbows)


A few more quotes for the day:

"God teaches the birds to make nests, yet the nests of all birds are not alike."
Duwamish Proverb

"Prejudice blinds, ignorance retards, indifference deafens, hate amputates. In this way do some people disable their souls."
Mary Robinson (1944-)

"Freedom is the right to choose:the right to create for yourself the alternatives of choice. Without the possibility of choice and the exercise of choice, human beings are not human but instruments."
Archibald MacLeish (1892-1982)

"Consciously we teach what we know;unconsciously we teach who we are."
Don Hamachek

Have a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

13 comments:

Olives and Pickles said...

great!! Thank you for sharing.

Julie said...

I love the tepee. Justin wasn't into crafts today, we baked a cake instead and play on the computer. Hannah just follows and smiles all day long.
Thanks for sharing, I love it when you do that. Take care and have a blessed afternoon.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You would seriously make the best homeschooling mom!

Jill said...

Olives and pickles you are so welcome!

Julie, Thanks for stopping by!

Cheesemakin Mamma Thank you so much!!! That means a lot to me!

Wendi said...

Cute turkey!

Carmen said...

Jill, She is such a precious little girl and her turkey picture is a masterpiece! So, sweet.

And, after 5 years of blogging I tend to run out of quotes. I will have to take a few! ;)

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

The recipe sounds delicious! Now I just need to buy another crockpot!

I'm loving the lessons Kathleen is learning. Her turkey is so very cute.

Camille said...

Your girls are blessed to have you do those special things with them Jill! What a great looking turkey your little girl made...so cute!

Blessings to you this day!
Camille

Lynn said...

Wonderful crafts and OMG the recipe I can't wait to make for me and hubby that sounds so delicious. I love that book but I do not own one myself, I might have to change that lol Thanks so much for sharing :o)

Jill said...

@ Wendi Thank you!

@ Carmen Thank you and you are welcome to borrow some quotes anytime! :-)

@ Chocolate covered daydreams Thanks for stopping by, and yes a crockpot is a must have! LOL

@ Camille Thank you so very much for your kind words!

@ Lynn Thank you and your welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

A Hopeful Heart said...

Yummy-sounding recipe. I, too, love the slow-cooker. However, my daughter does all the cooking now (her choice), and she rarely likes to use a slow-cooker. But I will have to share this recipe with her...just in case.

As always, I LOVE the photos of Kathleen. She's SO photogenic.

Love,
Patti

Kelly Polizzi said...

gosh, your daughter is too precious. The best model ever!

Love this little craft.

Holly said...

Aww, love her turkey picture!