Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thanksgiving crafts about Native Americans and some songs :-)

We were busy having a play date today, so we started learning time after lunch. We are talking about Thanksgiving. This year is extra special because Kathleen's birthday falls on Thanksgiving, and we are certainly thankful to have her in our lives. :-) We are also enjoying different holiday books to read.
After our lesson we made a paper doll of a Native American girl.

The clothes and hat are changeable, and what little girl doesn't like paper dolls? :-)

After that we learned about the Thunderbird. Then we made our own. I wanted to be accurate in the description of what a Thunderbird is so I am including the following descriptions with my sources.

From Wikipedia:

"Legendary creature in certain North American indigenous peoples' history and culture. it is considered a "supernatural" bird of power and strength. It is especially important, and richly depicted in the art, songs and oral histories of many Pacific Northwest coast cultures, and is found in various forms among the people of the American Southwest and great plains. Thunderbirds were major components of the southeastern ceremonial complex of American prehistory".

I also visited a website having more info. There is a wealth of information about the different depictions of Thunderbirds, it's quite interesting to research. One site I got this definition from is: www.tnais.com/home/ Thunderbird North American Indian Society. They defined it this way:

"For the Lakota, or Teton Sioux, the Thunderbird-wakin'yan'-is an important subordinate deity. It is a great bird which lives somewhere in the west and sends the rain. Thunder is caused by the beating of it's wings, and bolts of lightning flash from it's eyes".
Lakota storyteller: painting.Image via Wikipedia















Kathleen's Thunderbird:


Gluing two popsicle sticks together crosswise. Place glue on top. We also glued on a little beak on the side.

As a child, I was always taught in school about the first Thanksgiving. As an adult I realized that Thanksgiving wasn't all the wonderful things the stories told us. While we celebrate the day, for all we are blessed with, we cannot ignore how the Native Americans have been and still are treated today.

Native north-american IndianImage via Wikipedia


We read a few of our favorite Thanksgiving stories.

I also wanted to share the cute little craft she made at her nature center preschool time. It's a great program I get to attend with her and it's all hands on, even for the parents. :-)  They are learning all about Fall and they got to choose these leaves and make a headband out of them. Adding sparkly features of course.

I also have some more songs to share that I have taught both my kids.

Five little pilgrims on Thanksgiving Day (hold up 5 fingers)
The first one said, "I'll have cake if I may". (lower 5 fingers then raise respective finger)
The second one said, "I'll have turkey roasted"
The third one said, "I'll have chestnuts roasted".
The fourth one said, "I'll have pumpkin pie".
The fifth one said, "Oh cranberries I spy".
But before they ate any turkey or dressing, All of the Pilgrims said a Thanksgiving blessing. (fold hands)


A teepee is quite a home, (form triangle with hands)
Especially for Indians who must roam (place fingers behind head)
When it is time for them to go and hunt the mighty buffalo (pretend to shoot bow and arrow)
They pack their teepees, sticks and all (pretend to pack)
Then build them again straight and tall. (form teepees with hands.)



Great spirit. Help me never to judge another (shake head sideways)
Until I have walked in his moccasins for two weeks. (raise two fingers)

Sioux Indian Prayer


Hope you all have a wonderful afternoon!

Blessings,
Jill
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Miller Moments said...

I love her little hat/headband! Very cute! And thanks for the great books suggestions.

~Niki~ said...

so fun! I need to do more crafts with my kids~they are 7 and 9~and they grow up fast. my 17 and 15 y.o. boys don't want anything to do with me now LOL

A Hopeful Heart said...

I have a late November birthday child too. My son was born the day after Thanksgiving, 1991. This year, that date is the Monday after Thanksgiving. Since he is the 29th, his birthday has NEVER been on Thanksgiving (impossible!!), but he generally is sharing his birthday with Thanksgiving weekend.

Cute crafts...as always.

Blessings,
Patti