Tuesday, November 30, 2010

That time of year for fevers...some quotes and a recipe

Not sure if all the excitement of the weekend brought this on or not... but I got a call from Hayley's school today to pick her up. She is running a fever and has chills and a tummy ache, so I rushed to bring her home. No school tomorrow either until the fever breaks for 24 hours. I dislike it very much when my girls are sick, it's the one thing Mommy can't "fix". So I make sure they are really comfy and spoiled! I set them up in our guest room so they can watch t.v., etc. All meals are served to them in bed with snuggles and hugs and kisses.
Tonight's dinner with some flowers to cheer her. :-)

She always wears that smile no matter how bad she's feeling!

Of course Princess has to be by her side and Elvis is curled up on the floor because Princess won't let him in the bed.

Thought would share a homemade recipe for chicken noodle soup since it seems so many are not feeling well. I am hoping to not catch it so I can take care of everyone.

HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP




Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739,151184-252199,00.html

Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.



1 (3 to 4 lb.) fryer chicken

1 lg. onion, chopped

1 c. celery, chopped

1 c. carrots, chopped

2 tbsp. chicken bouillon granules

1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper

2 qt. water (approximately)

1 c. dry noodles of choice, precooked according to directions

2 tbsp. freshly snipped parsley

2 1/2 tsp. dried lemon thyme (optional)

Salt to taste



Wash and drain chicken. Place in large soup kettle with vegetables, bouillon and pepper. Add enough cold water to just cover the chicken. Simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth. Discard all skin, bones, fat and cartilage. Reserve all meat and cut or shred as you prefer. Return meat to broth. Add parsley, thyme, noodles and salt and pepper to taste. Reheat broth to desired temperature.

Yield: 3 quarts soup. Freezes well.


Have to share another cute picture of Kathleen conking out on the ride home....

"I looked on child rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best I could bring to it"
Rose Kennedy

"Giving kids clothes and food is one of thing, but it's much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people" Dolores Huerta

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget he is someone today"
Stacia Tauscher


Blessings,
Jill

15 comments:

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Love your quotes. All three are very profound and touching. Good thoughts!!

Wendi said...

It is hard when our littles aren't feeling well. Hope that Haley is feeling better soon!

Marah said...

Jill,
Have you ever heard of Waynesboro, PA? That is where I'm from. My husband is from Hagerstown, MD. But we are stationed at Camp Lejuene in NC right now. It really is a small world.
:)
Marah

~Niki~ said...

hope she gets to feeling better real soon~hugs to mom too! :)

Kat said...

Good evening Jill sorry to hear Haley is sick, I sure like the treatment she is getting, wish I could get some of that. Looks heavenly. But I do not want to be sick to get it.
I love your trip to Boyds Bear country that looks to be a fun day trip. I love those bears and have quite a few of them. My daughter Kirsten found her Kirsten doll the other day, so it is not lost and I guess it's in great condition she said.
I love chicken noodle soup! yummy. Kathleen looks snugly for her ride home. I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving! I can't wait to see everyones Christmas decoration photos. Have a wonderful Wed Eve! big hugs

Sheila said...

I hope Hayley is feeling better soon. She looks like she has all the essentials---snuggly bed, cats, stuffed animals, food and most important of all--lots of love. I wish I could sleep like Kathleen. Hope y'all have a wonderful rest of the week. Take care.

Erin from Skoots and Cuddles said...

Hope your little one is on the mend! I love the Stacia Tauscher quote! Thanks for that :)

Karen said...

Sorry to hear that she is sick..but I can share her pain.. Im sick too,,but no one to bring me dinner in bed complete with flowers.. I guess that is the price we pay when we are moms..lol
HOpe she feels better soon..
God Bless

Lisa B. said...

Hope Hayley is feeling better and you have a great day!

Jenny said...

Hope she is feeling better soon. Poor girl. Can you come take care of me next time I am sick!? Wow, I would be better in a flash!

A Primitive Homestead said...

Oh Jill I think I would love to come to your home the next time I am sick! Your not only a great Mom but a great nurse to. I think our kids should get extra Love & care when sick to. I serve Sam in bed & he watches t.v. & plays game cube when he is home sick. Hayley I lift you up in prayer for a speedy recovery. Jill I am not a big meat eater myself. I sure could not hunt & end their lives. I guess it is mostly a guy thing. We have had two lucky hunters bag a deer. Blessings!

McVal said...

Awe! Poor thing! When my 16 year old is sick and home from school, she always insists on homemade chicken noodle soup too. But now she knows how to make it so sometimes I make her make her own.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Your such a good mom! Homemade chicken soup truly is the best "sick" food. Love the flowers and the tray. I'm sure that cheers up your sickies every time.

Along A Widowed Road said...

I know isn't it the worst when we can't make them feel better...
How wonderful must she feel to have a tray brought into her with flowers. What a great idea.

Viola

Tracey said...

So sorry Hayley is not well and I hope she feels better soon. She still looks adorable :o) Oh yum, I love homemade chicken noodle soup!
Hugs and blessings,
Tracey