Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tricks for an appointment taking little ones, learning and a fun craft relating to Native American cultures

Wow, what a long day today! I had another appointment to get some blood work results this morning.  So each time I have to take Kathleen with me. I thought I'd share how I make these visits easier for us both. I pack a bag, usually it varies to keep it fun and exciting. Today it was the following:

I pack a backpack for her because she just loves carrying things this way. She also likes to be like Mommy, I've started carrying a backpack purse that I LOVE!

I included:
Coloring books and crayons
Notebook and pen
Etch a sketch (remember those?)
Water bottle with a snack
Lollipop for when I need to actually speak with the Dr.
Medical supplies, stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and the piece that checks your eyes, nose mouth (forget the name)
Bitty Baby to be examined too!
Books to read.

Kathleen did a wonderful job and it really kept her busy during the wait. We checked each other out while waiting for the Dr. I looked in her ears and told her I saw potatoes, in her eyes and saw beauty, in her mouth and saw goldfish (her snack, lol) She got the biggest kick out of it.

Then using the notebook we practiced words, played tic, tac, toe and a cool game I love doing with them that helps stimulate their creativity. I start with a shape, line etc. Then she would draw something and we'd go back and forth one thing at a time creating an image. Then when it's all done she colors it. :-) This is what we created today... A snowman scene:

This picture doesn't give the sharpest image...but she had a lot of fun with it. :-) Engaging them as much as possible is important.

I also like to hide surprises in the pockets of the backpack for her. A little ring, a note, etc. She gets a big kick out of it.:-) Loves searching to find the surprise.

After we finally got home and had lunch (Dr's is an hour away) we had to go out for awhile and enjoy the beautiful day.

Then we came in and started more of our learning. Continuing the learning part of Native Americans, and working on our language development. For our craft we made a Kachina doll. Here is an excert from Wikipedia:

"A kachina (also katchina or katcina, pronounced /kəˈtʃiːnə/; Hopi: katsina /kətˈsiːnə/, plural katsinim /kətˈsiːnɨm/) is a spirit being in western Pueblo cosmology and religious practices.[1] The western Pueblo, Native American cultures located in the southwestern United States, include Hopi, Zuni, Tewa Village (on the Hopi Reservation), Acoma Pueblo, and Laguna Pueblo. In later times, the kachina cult has spread to more eastern Pueblos, e.g. from Laguna to Isleta. The term also refers to the kachina dancers, masked members of the tribe who dress up as kachinas for religious ceremonies, and kachina dolls, wooden dolls representing kachinas which are given as gifts to children.




A kachina can represent anything in the natural world or cosmos, from a revered ancestor to an element, a location, a quality, a natural phenomenon, or a concept. There are more than 400 different kachinas in Hopi and Pueblo culture. The local pantheon of kachinas varies in each pueblo community; there may be kachinas for the sun, stars, thunderstorms, wind, corn, insects, and many other concepts. Kachinas are understood as having human like relationships; they may have uncles, sisters, and grandmothers, and may marry and have children. Although not worshipped,[2] each is viewed as a powerful being who, if given veneration and respect, can use their particular power for human good, bringing rainfall, healing, fertility, or protection, for example. One observer has written:[3]



The central theme of the Kachina cult is the presence of life in all objects that fill the universe. Everything has an essence or a life force, and humans must interact with these or fail to survive."



Drawings from an 1894 anthropology book of dol...Image via Wikipedia

The easiest way to define it for a child is a doll representing a spirit. The above is for your info.
Enhanced by Zemanta
These are pictures of the dolls, so we use various shapes (compliments of my cricut) to color and design a stick doll. You can also use colored construction paper, but I like doing the white and letting her create.

The shapes to the side on the left she informed me was the dress blowing in the wind. :-) See, imagination, it's a wonderful gift!

To work on language we made a chart of things we would take going to Nana and PopPop's house for the holidays. We travel there a lot on the weekends sometimes too. She really had fun naming things and wanted to be sure she filled the columns up, lol.


Overlook my amateur drawings, lol. This is a perfect age for labeling everything around the house. We play games in the car of finding objects and sounding out the letters. She'll be avidly reading in no time. :-)

Here's another little song and fingerplay:

Good manners I show (point to self)
Wherever I go (make 2 fingers walk)
"Excuse me, please," and "thank you", (3 fingers)
Are just a few words
I should know. (Point to self and shake head vertically)

Hope you all are having a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

9 comments:

~Niki~ said...

Hi Jill~
Thanks for visiting me and leaving me a nice comment :)
I adore your blog. I'm following now.

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

What a wonderful way to keep her occupied at the dr. Sometimes, that is not an easy task. I hope all is well with you.

I love the kachina doll project.

Lynn said...

You are just such a wonderful Mom! That is a wonderful idea with the backpack, I want one of those also hehe. I love the pictures of the little dolls and your daughters turned out really well, thanks so much for sharing :o)

Foxglove Spires said...

What wonderful ideas for so much creativity and learning!

Have a glorious day. xxx

Vic said...

what a fun mommy....where were you when i was little:)

Life In a Little House said...

Wonderful i always brought lots of goodies for the doctors appointments for my kids...it is very helpful and it keeps them from touching the germy toys left in the office ~Have a wonderful day ~Love Heather

Angie Berry said...

Sounds like another fun and busy day in your household. (I was going to insert your last name and then realized I have no idea what it is.. hehe).

Have a blessed weekend, Jill~

~ Noelle said...

what a great way to make the wait fun!!!
and i love the song

Liz said...

What a great idea! I love how you can turn a boring time when usually you don't get anything done into a fun, educational time.