Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A little variety

Has been crazy busy around here as usual. I've been wondering who invented the idea of having band practice at 7 AM? LOL We were all up at 5AM to get ready and to get Hayley a proper breakfast to get her there on time. With the late nights I'm keeping trying to get my school work done, it's beginning to catch up with me and today I am very tired. Tomorrow and Friday are more days of running and this weekend is just going to be a whirlwind.

Have a couple quotes to share today that I like. I enjoy wise words to ponder. :-)

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain"  Vivian Greene

"This above all, to thine own self be true"  William Shakespeare

Need a good appetizer for entertaining this Christmas?.....

If you like spicy recipes here's one for a dip you can share for the holidays. Also done in a slow cooker! :-)

Cheesy New Orleans Shrimp Dip

1 slice lean turkey bacon
3 medium sized onion chopped
1 garlic clove minced
4 jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
1 medium sized tomato peeled and chopped
3 cups low fat Monterely Jack cheese shredded
4 drops Tabasco sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
dash of black pepper

Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel, crumble
Saute onion and garlic in bacon drippings, drain on towel
Coarsely chop shrimp
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker
Cover and cook on low 1 hour or until cheese is melted. Thin with milk if too thick
Serve with chips.

Girls were having a great time the other night after their showers. :-) We had an entire village of Little People figures everywhere. Some may call it a huge mess, but I see creativity and imaginations at work. I have these two blessings to be so thanful for...so I've learned to "love" the mess. However if anyone wants to volunteer to come and clean my house I'm open to that idea, lol.  Elvis thinks it funny to bat the girls doll shoes down the stairs and play with them on the wood floors. They always have to search for the matching pair. lol. He has certainly added a lot to our family dynamics, then we wonder how did we ever not have him before? Our pets just a huge part of our lives.

Hope you all have a great evening! Take some time to unwind and enjoy the moment for what it is.

Blessings,
Jill

13 comments:

Jenny said...

If you find any volunteers to clean, send them my way! ;)

Annie Jones said...

The dip sounds delicious! And I think I already have everything to make it!

Kerri said...

Up at 5am for band practice...yikes!

Your dip sounds delish...I love spicy!

Hope you are able to catch up on some sleep!

Julie Harward said...

I am so glad my days of doing all that is over! Love the recipe! ;D

Lynn said...

The dip sounds good, and I would right down there on that floor playing barbies with those girls LOL I love barbies and miss playing with them :o)

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

Practice at 7 am...that is crazy! Are the kids actually awake and alert that early?

My daughters were also playing with their Little People and Barbies yesterday. They built a castle with blocks and had all the Barbies and little People in line to go into the castle. It kept them busy for a long time and I love when they place nice together!

A Hopeful Heart said...

I don't want to offend you by saying this, but you know that I care about you, so I'm going to say it anyway. Not everything you want to do is something you NEED to do. Please please please try to eliminate some of the busyness so that your body gets the rest and downtime it needs...otherwise, you may really lose your health, just as I did through non-stop activity.

I ran like the Energizer Bunny for over a dozen years, and as a result, I developed a myriad of health issues, mostly the result of the huge amount of stress my body was under. Even now, my health is tenuous and will easily fall by the wayside when I don't allow my body the downtime it needs.

Yes, it's hard to say no...we WANT to do everything. But doing everything isn't good for us.

You know I say this with love in my heart.

Love,
Patti

Kat said...

HI Jill it has been a busy time for me too! wow I can barley catch my breath! in any event congrats to your winner Carol she should be really excited!!! yay for her. Your girls are so cute in their PJ's on your gorgeous wood floor and beautiful fire place, wow what a pretty house you have. Your Cheesy Orleans dip sounds good but I have many that won't touch seafood coming for the holidays so I have one I seen on the commercial that is just Velveta Cheese and a Mexican tomato sauce it's super simple and probably everyone will eat that. Now for me I would rather have your dip because I love love love shrimp! so will copy that one for sure.
I have a give a way too, it's really easy compared to my last one and it's free and simple won't take but a moment for anyone which is good at this time of year. So stop by and participate!
I wish I could blog more but I am in the busy season of beading Christmas gifts for customers.....life is good! big hugs

Karen said...

Oh I have to share this with you.. My sister sent it to me the other day and I found it so funny YET SO TRUE.. it is about June Cleaver.. the famous mom from Leave it to Beaver show back in th 70's..how did she do it.. being The Mom in heals and pearls everyday...and this is what it said..lol...
1.She had her hair done once a week (that sounds nice) and it stayed that way until the next time. We wash, blow dry, and straighten, etc. every day.
2.She wore simple pearls. We create too many choices with tons of accessories.
3.She cooked "meat and potatoes." We try to create a gourmet meal or dinner perfection every night.
4.She limited her children's food options. We are short order cooks, or take them out for fast food, or order in.
5.She had fewer clothing choices, wore all purpose dresses and outfits. We overload our closets, and still only wear 20% of what's in there.
6.She didn't spend her free time on the computer or watching a Lifetime movie marathon. We waste precious time on Facebook or surfing the net.
7.She kept herself busy with her home life first. We busy ourselves with outside stuff, which puts our home life last.
8.She stayed fit without a gym membership. We have a gym membership and still aren't fit!
9.She stayed involved with her kid's lives and choices of friends (see: Eddie Haskell). We give up because it's all too much to keep track of.
10.She greeted her family with joy. We let stress take over because we have so much going on.

see what i mean.. this is from http://www.imom.com/daily/espresso/comments.php?em=881

Jill you are an awesome mom with a great family. relax and enjoy..and rest...

Problems loading Disqus?

Life In a Little House said...

Nice quotes...oh the girls look so sweet playing together. My daughter has brothers not sisters so I am often on the floor playing with her. What a blessing a Sister must be I have one brother. Great Advice Enjoying the Moment especially when your children are young it goes by so fast!! In exactly 11 weeks I will have another teenager lol!! ~Take Care Love Heather

McVal said...

My 16 yo is in marching band, pep band, jazz band, you name it. She is at school by 7 every single day! Just wait til she's in high school!

A Primitive Homestead said...

I think it is great you are still taking classes & adding to your own education. This month is always so busy for all. We should just all join in prayer lifting each other up for added strenght & rest. It is so true a Mom works from sun up to sun down. I remember myself playing with barbies & then my own daughter. I am waiting for this fun activity to happen in my grandaughters life. She may have a few more years yet. You always have so many recipes to share with us. Your kitchen must always smell so yummy. Blessings To You & Your Family.

Sheila said...

WOW--7 a.m. for band practice. All my kids school activities were for after school. Guess I was lucky!! I hope you are able to get some rest and that you are feeling better. We went from toys and books all over the house to yarn, hooks, needles and books all over the house. I love it though--like you I see the creativity and enjoyment they get making things and conquering a new idea/stitch/pattern. I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend. Take care.