Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Schools are closed so we're crafting and having fun!


Last night we received the phone call that schools were closed today due to the ice and snow they were calling for. So today we are enjoying the day together. A little less chores for Mommy and a lot more fun together with the girls!!

We got out our box of magic to be creative making a snowman and a snow scene picture! For the snowman we stapled two paper plates together and from there our imaginations took over and creativity set in!!

My kids have an abundance of art supplies, and some days I complain about them having too much. Yet when they pull out their resources and create, I am so happy they do have a variety to work with!

Hayley's completed snowman...

Kathleen's!

Then we made snow scene pictures...

Hayley made a fairy house in snow, complete with closet with clothes hanging up!

After this we were feeling a need for a snack so we made snowman soup!!
Ingredients:
1) favorite mug
2) hot cocoa
3) marshmallows
4) M&Ms  (usually use chocolate kisses but we ran out!)
5) candy cane for stirring
Result..... serious sugar high...serve with caution!! LOL



Add chocolate first and stir well...

Then the M & M's...

Next the marshmallows....

Mix with candy cane....

ENJOY!!!!!

Somebody still likes to play and really enjoy her chocolate! LOL


We also sang a little song as we went along...

" One little snowflake with nothing to do. Along came another and then there were two!
Two little snowflakes laughing with me, along came another, then there were three!
Three little snowflakes looking for some more,
along came another, then there were four!
Four little snowflakes dancing a jive, along came another and then there were five!
Five little snowflakes having so much fun!
Out came the sun and then there were none!"

We are also planning to write a snowman book this afternoon. But we are getting ready for lunch, then snuggling in warm blankets and picking a movie to watch. :-)

Hope you all are enjoying your day!!

Blessings,
Jill

21 comments:

Life In a Little House said...

Oh that looks like so much fun!!! ~Happy Snow Day ~Love Heather

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

How fun!!! You 're such a good mommy. Enjoy these moments with your girls...and have fun watching the movie :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) p.s. The cocoa sounds good, too!!!

Tracey said...

Sugar high indeed but looks delcious and I'm sure worth it! Snow days are so much fun...enjoy!
Hugs and blessings,
Tracey

Camille said...

What a fun thing to have a *snow day* and what appropriate crafts you did while you were inside on a day like that! Your girls will have lovely memories of all these times Jill...what a blessing!

Stay Warm!
Camille

Mandie said...

That sounds like a great afternoon. Can I come and play??!! Snowman soup sounds very yummy. Your girls are so precious!!

Wendi said...

I love snow days! Looks like you had lots of fun.

Julie said...

Our schools don't seem to ever close. I suppose Minnesota and we just keep going. It's suppose to be -35* wind-chill for catching the buss tomorrow. Wish those days they'd either close or be 2 hours laste so not at least standing in the dark and cold. I go out with the kids, I can' stand the though of them standing their alone.
That cocoa sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing you're day.
Take care Jill and have and blessed evening.

Kat said...

Hi Jill what a beautiful new topper! I love the snowmen crafts and yummy hot chocolate which actually sounds pretty darn good right now. Have a super great week. big hugs

MomOf2AtHome said...

Looks like the perfect day! Crafts are so much fun. Those were good ideas you had! I'll have to do the snow scene with my kids. I'll have to do the snowman with construction paper since we don't have the paper plates on hand. Love the ideas! Sounds like a memorable day for the girls. I LOVE creating memories with my kids.

Olives and Pickles said...

Beautiful..love all the activities.

Foxglove said...

Looks like your girls had a wonderful day, lots of fun!!!

Have a beautiful rest of the week my friend. xxx

Sheila said...

Your girls are certainly creative. I love how they each have their own take on things. Love the hot chocolate idea--I never thought of adding extras to it!! Hope y'all are having a great week. Take care.

Jenny said...

OH how fun. I agree art supplies multiply on their own but they are great to have around. I just saw a Martha Stewart recipe that calls for adding peanut butter to hot chocolate. Doesn't that sound good? Have a great day. I love the new pic at the top! Cute.

firefly said...

Im coming to your house on the next snow day!!! Looks like you ladies had tons of fun! And the snowman soup looks DELICIOUS!!! ~ Kristina

McVal said...

Wow! You ARE a good mom! I'll bet my kids will want to spend the next snow day at your house!

His bondservant said...

What fun. Love the activities...and your girls are adorable. We had a lot of snow recently too, but it is all gone now. Glad you can enjoy the beauty a little longer.
Blessings,
Jackie

Carmen said...

Jill, It looks like a fabulous snow day! We have weather that moved in today so we have schools closed here, grocery stores, and the military post.

I enjoyed looking at the girls projects. I will probably steal the candy cane stir stick idea. Thanks.

Bec said...

I often feel annoyed about 'too much' craft stuff too but just like you I realise its worth it when they get going and use such a variety! I forgot to say too that I love your blog makeover!!! It looks really lovely, especially your header picture of the girls.

Heather M said...

I wanna come hang out with you on the next snow day!!! You guys have tooooo much fun!!!!!

Cinnamon said...

Jill, thank you for stopping by our blog. Camille is such a sweetie, is she not? :-)

I love the tutu in the one post above, so cute! You are a crafty Mama. Something I wish I was more of. I will have to pop in to get some ideas on our long winter snow filled days.

And thank you for your prayers for my husband. He deployed back in July 2010 and was just home on leave.

~Cinnamon

~ Noelle said...

wish i would have thought of this snowman when broxton wanted to bring his little one inside
lol