Sunday, January 9, 2011

Weekend highlights

Saturday was a day that tugged my heartstrings as a Mom. It was the night of Hayley's first sleepover alone at a friend's house for a birthday party.
Her bags were packed.......
Her favorite stuffed animal named Frankie went along as well. Hayley won him at a carnival when she was about 2 years old and he has not left her side since. Tugging at my heart knowing it was a part of letting her grow up, starting a circle of friendships to hopefully last the years like many of mine have. Knowing she was creating wonderful memories. As a Mom, the realization of how fast she is growing up and the independence she is achieving.

"What the vast majority of American children needs is to stop being pampered, stop being indulged, stop being chauffeured, stop being catered to. In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings."  Ann Landers

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths,but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."     Anne Frank

For a Mom, I feel like this day I brought her home was just yesterday.....

My tiny little angel I waited so long for....

Her tiny little feet...growing up and making me smile.....

looking up to her Daddy and wanting to be just like him....

Always laughing....

Always beautiful.....
I know this is just one of the many milestones she will be facing in life, I am proud to see her growing into such an independent, lovely, respectful young lady... but there are still these moments that tug my heartstrings...

This is a painting from Norman Rockwell that hangs in my hallway...it reminds me so much of this journey she is on, the bridge between a young child and a young lady with so much to learn...

"If you raise your children to feel that they can accomplish any goal or task they decide upon, you will have succeeded as a parent and you will have given your children the
greatest of all blessings"  Brian Tracy     

While Hayley was enjoying your time at the sleepover, Kathleen was missing her so we planned a special night... movies....
Shopping and dinner out...
Sleepless night....yes definitely....priceless moments? Absolutely!

Sunday we picked Hayley up...

Went on a lovely ride in the gentle falling snow...

Thought it would be a great day to photograph the "mystery" of some more abandon homes.

I have posted about this before... but I'm always intrigued by these homes and their histories and the families who lived there through the years.

These pictures all part of an abandoned farm...


Intriguing...


Mystery?....

Heartache, love? Can you imagine it in it's glory days? The animals in the barn...the children running through the fields, the Mom cooking a hot meal for her family...the neighbor visiting? So many wonderful possibilities...so tragic to see it go to ruins...I wonder....


Cresting the hill an older restored home...


The stories it could tell...

A restored schoolhouse...


Just enjoying the beauty of the day...

Thankful for our blessings, our life, our family...



There was also having our neighbors visit with us today, as well as the football game...


Daddy and his little cheerleader!

The Ravens won!!!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend with your loved ones! Have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Jill
  

16 comments:

Heather M said...

You are such a wonderful mother, It crazy how fast time fly's when children are in your lives! I hope Hayley had a wonderful first sleep over experience! You really painted a beautiful picture of the abandoned farm, I could see it all in my head!

Julie Harward said...

Oh yes milestones...and these kind do tug at a mom's heart for sure! I loved the pictures along the way..just awesome! :D

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

OH Julie... You love your girls.and they'll grow up to be wonderful young ladies..of that I am very confident :) :) I'm glad both girls had a fun time this past weekend ;) :)

Abandoned homes have always intrigued me. That farm is lovely...I'm not sure what condition the inside of the farm house is in...but just the look of it on the outside...that's my kind of home :) :) It would be neat to be able to fix it up and have it working again!!! Have you ever asked about the history or if someone still owns the property? It's intriguing mystery :)

Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

McVal said...

I used to be like that when my kids went off to sleepovers too!
Love those old houses and buildings... My mom used to stop at abandoned houses on trips and walk thru them with us. Making us use our imagination about the people who used to live there. Looking back, I'm surprised we didn't die young... (broken floors, squatters, etc.)

Sheila said...

Jill,
The milestones seem to come faster each year. Love the pictures of Hayley and Kathleen--I wish my girls still got along like that!! I still think about doing a post on abandoned houses I see as I'm out driving. I've always wanted to find a place like the farm above--my dream has always been to live in a big farmhouse on a working farm. Glad Jerry's team won--even if I don't know where the Ravens are from!! I hope y'all have a wonderful week. Take care.

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

I love the quotes, but I cannot imagine my daughter going to a sleep over! They grow up too quick!

Kat said...

HI Jill, Love the photos, I understand how much you want to keep your kids close to you and small forever. I once read that God gives us our kids for a short while and they we set them on their way.
What a lovely weekend you all had, that's a wonderful family day on Sunday and lots of wonderful winter photos! have a great week! big hugs

A Primitive Homestead said...

Cute baby photo & foot prints. I had my kids put in there baby books while at the hospital after delivery. I still worry even when my older kids stay with friends. They do grow up to fast. The old houses are just so wonderful. Oh how I wish I could afford one with lots of land to restore. What a homestead that would be. I enjoyed your ride. Blessings!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

What wonderful pictures! I just loved the ones of the old farm houses and churches!

Thanks for your comments! I haven't been blogging as much since my foot surgery. It is all I can do to get through the day. I am always having to keep my foot up and I do not have a laptop. Kicking myself for that one!

Victorian1885 said...

Good evening Jill
Thank you for visiting me today. Your Family is beautiful! The photos of abandoned buildings are lovely and I like you always imagine what life was like when the homes were in their glory. I look forward to following your blog! Take care.

Wanda

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jill, What a lovely post with so much truth about parenting and children. Your daughter is such a gorgeous little girl and how wonderful that she is spreading her wings and enjoying the gift of friendship. I bet she had a great time on her sleep over. Enjoyed the pics of your ride home and the old houses. Seems such a shame they stand silent, empty and without someone to love them. I would love to have one of those to decorate and fix up.

Thank you for stopping by. It is so nice to see you. Have a blessed week and stay warm
Hugs, Celestina Marie XOXO

Cherie said...

Ohhhh my it really does tug bigtime at the heartstrings when they start doing things on their own...away from you. I bet she had a wonderful time with her independence and friends!
And how neat that it gave you a chance to spend time with your other daughter!

Ohhh and I love old houses too - I always wonder how they were abandoned - neat stories out there that need to be shared!

Heather M said...

Hey Jill!!! I just wanted to let you know I left you an award on my page!!!

Carmen said...

Wow. My heartstrings are being tugged. What am I going to do when I walk over this milestone with the Little Lady.

So sweet are those little footprints and pictures too.

I always enjoy wondering and wishing I knew the History of old buildings. Those are some great pictures.

Blessings, Carmen

Camille said...

Woops, something happened to that comment! If you get two from me, you don't have to publish both.

The gyst of what I said was how amazingly beautiful those photos you took are. Such mystery surrounds the who and why's of those abandoned homes/farms...so sad!

And the children do grow up waaaaaaaaayyyy too quickly!! Enjoy every minute of it! :)

Blessings,
Camille

~ Noelle said...

time to let her start learning to spread her wings...
loved the old buildings... stuff like that is so neat to me! ( I love watching american pickers to see all the neat old things they find!)