Thursday, January 6, 2011

Winter recipe,crafts,jokes and riddles for the little ones...:-)

This week has been tough recovering from all the holiday excitement, and I have been very tired. Today I was determined to try to get back into some kind of a "normal" routine. :-)
Kathleen and I talked about Wintertime. We are possibly getting snow tomorrow, so I am hoping for a little more this time so the girls can enjoy it. Last time it was just a dusting on the ground.

Today we started by making a fun craft. We recreated snow looking out of a window! These are the materials you will need:

1 sandwich bag, cut the top off but not the seal part.

Glue

1 1/2 tsp sugar

Dark blue, light blue, and red construction paper.

Window and curtain pattern, trace on white then cut and trace on construction paper.


Measure out the sugar and add to sandwich bag, be sure to seal securely.

Glue bag of sugar onto the lighter blue construction paper, then glue window over top. Be sure sugar is in middle of bag when doing this and do allow air inside so the sugar/snow can move!

Have fun shaking it and watching it snow!

We also had fun saying a few jokes and riddles while doing the project.

What do snowmen eat for breakfast?
Frosted Flakes!

What did Frosty call his cow?
Eskimooooo!

Riddles:

I can swim or walk for miles
I'm big with thick white hair
I live up in the Artic
I am a ........(Polar Bear)

I'm usually made of colored yarn
by someone who is knitting
Unless ones lost I come in pairs
Of course I am a ......(mitten)

I've got a big mustache
I dig shellfish with my tusks
I swim in icy waters
I am a..... (walrus)

We also made a snowball dessert!

You will need:
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/2 cup butter softened
1/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cookie crumbs or chocolate chips ( we chose chocolate chips!)
powdered sugar for rolling

Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl, cream together, adding in powdered sugar

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand

Then lay out a piece of plastic wrap sprinkled with powder sugar and shape dough into a ball, roll it in powder sugar to coat it all. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for several hours. Serve with graham crackers etc.




After cleaning up we read some Fancy Nancy books and did our daily learning.
We are also working on designing our own Dora golden book. This will take a bit longer to finish.


Since we talked about Jack Frost I had this little poem to share with her.

Jack Frost
Where did you get that little red nose?
Jack Frost kissed it I suppose
He kissed it once. He kissed it twice
Poor little nose its as cold as ice!
(while saying it I was kissing her on the nose :-)


This one is sang to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot:
I'm a little snowflake,look at me
No other snowflake is just like me
I am so unique,as you can see
And just as special as I can be!

I really enjoy planning and doing all theses activities with my girls. If any of you have questions or private comments for me feel free to email me as well. I enjoy hearing from you! jill58972@gmail.com

Have a wonderful day!!

Blessings,
Jill

15 comments:

Patti said...

Surprise, a comment from MIA Patti!!!

I had to smile at this post...you know me and snow!! Enjoy it? Have fun? NO WAY!!! But I enjoyed sharing in the fun you and Kathleen had. You always do SUCH fun things with your girls, and I love how you incorporate so many ideas into one subject...(snow). You are a great pre-school teacher!!

Have a great day.

Love,
Patti

Alea said...

Aww, what fun ideas!

Julie said...

Love the idea. Hey, got one for you. When it snows tomorrow scoop up as much as you can and put it in the freezer, then make snow ice-cream. It's really a different treat and the kids can make it with a baggy. What the recipe just holler and I'll share it.
Thanks for sharing and also for stopping by. Take care and God Bless!!

Carmen said...

It looks like a fun day!

McVal said...

Sweet! literally! What cute ideas! I'm writing that recipe down now. And maybe steal that snow window idea for my Sunday school class on Sunday...

Jenny said...

Fun, I love how Kathleen is all decked out in her crown to create. Cute.

Rayanne said...

What a great model you have and so cute! I remember those days and they were great days...enjoy!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, you always have something fun for the girls to do :) :) K. clearly enjoys demonstrating her crafty skills :) :) Oh, it really does look like snow through the window, too :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Wendi said...

Love the snowing window craft. Fun!

Cherie said...

Your daughter is beautiful! How lucky she is to have a fun mom who will do crafts and cook with her. Great ideas.
P.S. I LOVE your yellow kitchen - it looks happy!

A Primitive Homestead said...

No snow here. That is ok with me. Hope you get some rest. All the fun things you & Kathleen do. She may be bored when she starts school. I am sure she will miss the best teacher she will ever have. Her Mommy! Blessings!

Life In a Little House said...

Oh how cute! Looks like a super fun snow day!! When I was a little girl I wanted to Marry Jack Frost after seeing him on the Christmas show.lol ~Some wonderful ideas you have shared ~Love Heather

Jill said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments!

Patti great to hear from you again!

MCVal, your Sunday school class would have a great time doing this!

Julie, thanks for the suggestion, we've done this too with snow! I remember catching it in cups when we were younger and adding sugar and flavoring to it!

Have a great night all!

Lindsay said...

I love the craft, thanks for the fun idea!

Mandie said...

What a great craft for the day! We are expecting some really cold weather this weekend. I don't think snow though.

Your company looks like they had a great time. I love spending time with family and friends. It makes a person feel so good!

Have a great weekend!