Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ice, more crafts and a crockpot recipe :-)

We woke up this morning to this:


Cold, icy mess... but we stayed warm and toasty inside keeping busy.

Hayley wanted to help out this morning so she made this for Kathleen for breakfast. :-)

Are my kids learning from me making special meals or what? LOL I think she did an amazing job! Kathleen sure enjoyed it. :-)

Hayley also had a request for making clay and creating lots of different things so I agreed. It's not often she has days off school to do these things.

Getting creative....

This is a squirrel Hayley made, isn't he dear? Don't mind my pan, it is for crafting projects :-)

She made a porcupine too!


Yesterday we were busy with more Valentine crafts. First we made a sachet...

We sprayed our favorite scent on cotton balls and glued them between the paper, then stapled it and glued bows to cover the staples.


Next we made Valentine people :-)

We had a great time as we always do and I keep treasuring this time.

Here is the crock pot meal I made yesterday...so yummy!

Zucchini-Vegetable Pot

1/2 lb ground turkey (I used 3 lbs)
2 cups zucchini, diced
2 ribs celery,chopped
1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup rice, uncooked
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1. Brown turkey
2. Place vegetables in slow cooker. Top with rice and cooked ground turkey
3. Sprinkle seasonings over top
4. Cover. Cook on high 3-4 hours.

Enjoy!!

Tonight we will be enjoying spaghetti, homemade meatballs, garlic and cheese bread and a salad. :-) As we watch the beauty of the ice fade away....


Hope you all are having a safe, warm evening with your families.

Blessings,
Jill

13 comments:

Mark said...

And you did all of that in one day? I stay away from the kitchen. Although I do have to clean it so I guess that's a lie.
Beautiful pictures. Tell me, what type of camera do you use?
Your Friend, m.

Wendi said...

The ice is beautiful, but oh what a mess! Our sidewalk and drive has about a 3 inch layer. Poor Megan fell and bloodied her nose and busted her lip while helping her Daddy sprinkle some salt. Poor baby! Stay safe, warm and happy crafting!

Jill said...

Hi Mark...actually the sachets and Valentine people were yesterday,lol. I actually just got a new camera for Christmas it's a Cannon Powershot SX30 IS I'm still learning it's features, but I love it!

Wendi.... So sorry to hear that about Megan! Hope she's doing o.k. now. You guys keep warm too and have a great night! :-)

Lynn said...

All of the crafts are just adorable they sure are talented young ladies. That spaghetti dinner so delicious to me :o)

I feel so bad for everyone getting so much snow and ice, stay safe and warm and hopefully it will all start melting soon.

Donna said...

Jill, I just love these photos of the girls and your lovely trees. I have always thought ice on trees was magical. Can you believe that we may get our own 'personal' snow here in Houston tonight?

In the meanwhiles, I've got spring blooming in my window sill. It's a project your girls would love to do..and it's so easy! My granddaughter is on today's post too..but she's not to interested in the bulbs yet. :o)

xo
Donna

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

Wow, those photos are amazing! They make me feel cold just looking at them. You definitely know how to keep the girls busy. You are a wonderful mother!

Donna said...

Hi Jill, About the bulbs growing on my blog today. :o) You don't need any dirt and you can use anything that is solid enough for roots to entangle in..like marbles, large glass stones etc. My mom uses stones. I just happened to have fish tank gravel on hand. And any container will do to. The fish tank water is helpful because it has lots of nutrition..but mom uses plain water. Although she may fertilize it, but I doubt it. This little project really just needs bulbs, water, stones, and a container. They just grow..period. Don't need nutrition though I logically thought it wouldn't hurt to add some. :o)

My first photo was taken of the bulbs at the bottom of a very tall vase. Mom thought the vase might give the growing stems more support.

In many ways, this is an experiment as far as what is the exact right container for this. But Mom has grown them in everything under the sun! Tee-hee!

Jill..I just can't get over the girls and their valentines and playdough creations..a total blast from my past! I can't wait for the grand kids to get here so we can do some of this. I'm in withdrawals! Perhaps Rebekah and I are just going to have to make our own Valentine's this year. :o)

xo
Donna

Life In a Little House said...

Wow those pictures of the ice are amazing...I can't even imagine. I did grow up in the North in Canada so I have seen Ice like this before but it has been awhile. We had the crockpot out yesterday as well I made Chili, Your recipe looks very yummy. Those girls are so cute ~I love that little sandwich and the crafts look wonderful. Your giving me lots of ideas of things to do with Anna. Although for us we will have to wait till the weekend no snow days here ~Stay warm Love Heather

Kim said...

Those animal sculptures are sooooo cute! What a great job they did. And I love that pic of the icicles on the dog bowl. That is a COLD day, for sure!

Mama Hen said...

That looks like our yard! You are such a wonderful mommy with all of the great projects you do with your girls! I gave you two awards. You deserve them my friend! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Heather M said...

I think I want to come and live with you, and do all of these fun crafts!! Your girls are so creative!

~ Noelle said...

those ice pictures are great!!!!
that squirrel looks awesome!!!!
talent

Bec said...

Looks like a wonderful day Jill!! I do not envy that degree of cold!! I complain about the cold here but its nothing compared to that!