Friday, February 18, 2011

Money saving tips Part 2


"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations"
Charles R. Swindoll

Some more great ways to save money are as follows:

* Something as simple as placing plastic over your windows during the winter months to keep drafts out. They have kits you can purchase at your local home improvement stores. This is another thing I remember my Dad doing when I was growing up. We had a couple really large windows that he would cover, then use a hairdryer to get all the "kinks" out.

* Programmable thermostats!

* Eliminate any extra services you may currently pay for like dry cleaning or lawn care.

* Install foam gaskets behind your outlet covers, makes a huge difference and watch the savings add up!

* Inspect windows, doors, etc. and apply caulk as needed.

* Insulate your water heater (insulating jackets also sold at your local hardware store) You can save up to $100.00 a year!

* Replace furnace filters regularly

* Use ceiling fans not only for cooling your home, but to distribute warm air as well.  They can save you up to 15% :-)

* Purchase energy saving appliances and apply for tax credits Usually eligible for 30% federal tax credit up to $1500.00 for all improvements combined

* Change light bulbs to compact fluorescent, they generate less heat and use less energy. These are actually more cost effective to leave on for a period of time, then to continuously turn them on and off.

* Spend less on entertainment. Instead of dropping a ton of $$ at the movie theatre, consider redbox, $1.00 rental per night. Cook up some popcorn, drinks and snuggle up in the comfort of your own home and enjoy!
There are many activities that are free of cost in your local communities, or low cost. Check out your local parks and recreations :-)

* Utilize your local library. Great resources and books for free! They also offer wonderful children's programs and activities. As well as things for students and adults. The girls and I spend a lot of time in the library, especially during the summer to participate in their reading programs.

* A huge money saver is to plan and prepare your meals at home. I've heard so many people say they don't have time! But how can you not take time to save $$? Make clipping coupons and price comparisons a must. Shop several stores and record your receipts to find the best prices. There is a wealth of resources on your local stores sites. Does all this sound time consuming, overwhelming? At times, but think of the benefits once your system is in place. So much more cost effective! More posts to come on this as well. :-)

* GARDENING! No matter how small an area you may have for a yard, or even if no yard at all...you can create wonderful gardens and have healthy foods for your family. Container gardening is a great way to get started. Our family is looking forward to the warm weather this year to get ours started again and add even more. It is so rewarding  going into your own yard and picking fresh ingredients for dinner. :-)

* Cut costs of postage and pay bills online.

* Invest and use cloth napkins instead of paper...helping the environment too. :-)

* Instead of using sandwich bags use plastic containers for sandwiches, and other snacks. If you do use sandwich bags now, save by washing them out and reusing.

* When running errands try to combine into one day and a general location to save on gas.

* Brew your own coffee at home and resist the Starbucks urge ;-) LOL You'd be surprised how quickly these little treats add up!

* Pack your own lunch each day. I make my husband's lunch every day, they tease him at work about it, yet we can't understand why anyone would pay $5.00-$10.00 a day on eating out. There are some at his work that eat every meal out. Yikes! Think of what they could be saving!

* Do the same for your children's lunches and be sure to add notes each day :-)

Another little thought to ponder.... think of what you make an hour, then think about how long you would have to work to afford a particular item. It begins to help you realize the value of that dollar.

Focusing more on what we have and enjoying it, can help us focus less on our wants; which may not necessarily be our needs.

I will continue to post more savings ideas as well as menu plans and recipes; as well as other posts I have been thinking about for awhile. My biggest challenge is finding the extra hours in the day to get these things accomplished :-) LOL

Blessings,
Jill

17 comments:

claudia b said...

I am so excited about my garden this year, too! Can't wait to have my picky eaters eating green beans off the vine when they won't touch them if I cook them :D

Jenny said...

I agree Jill, I love saving money but sometimes those things do take a lot of extra time. i clip coupons and I love how much I save using them but sometimes it is hard to find the time to get them organized and ready to go. Thanks for sharing all these great tips.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

The library is awesome!!! I LOVe magazines and movies...and I can check out 10 DVDs at a time from my library and as many magazines as I can read in two weeks :) :) it's so cool, and it has been all for FREE :) :) That's one of my favorite tips..and lots of people donate their DVDs to the library. So the selection of movies is really good!!!

Jill, these are good tips. You ROCK!!!!

Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather:) :)

p.s. I don't clip coupons, but leave them in the circulars and mark the date on them. There's a co uple of sites I follow...The Coupon Mom and Frugal Living NW that list which circulars the coupons are in. It's neater and I don't have to cut them all out. OH, I also keep each circular in a sheet protector in a three-ring binder. It's simple and very easy :) :) Another good site for saving money on groceries if you don't do coupons or use them rarely is The Grocery Shrink. That's a fabulous site, too :) :)

Annie Jones said...

Great posts the last couple of days! Of all the tips, I think I like the one about the library the most. I read a lot, as does Kat, so I'd send us to the poor house I had to buy all the books I read. :)

Mama Hen said...

This is an excellent post! We all need to save! The picture of your daughter with the veggies is so cute! I want to plant our own garden this year. Last year we supported our local farmers. Have a great day my friend.

Mama Hen

McVal said...

Great list! When we were first married, I used to joke (sometimes was serious) that we needed to budget in for the stamps to mail the bills...

Camille said...

Great ideas Jill. I'm sure there are things here that will bless many. I agree with you that there are many ways to save if we will just think before spending. How wonderful that you pack those lunches for your precious ones....what a blessing! :)

Have a great weekend!
Camille

Mandisa Chesser said...

These were some great money saving tips, Jill. My Dad put plastic around the windows in the winter when I was a child, as well...I think he still does. I agree with you about gardening. It can be great. I'm hoping one day I can grow MOST of my own foods.

Have a blessed evening!

Wendi said...

I had to laugh when I read the part about thinking about how many hours you had to work to pay for something. I had dinner with my sister and family the other night. My 17 year old niece has a part time job and she made that comment when her younger sister was talking about wanting a new pair of jeans.

I totally agree about packing lunches. When I worked I heard so many people complain about never having money, then they never packed a lunch.

Lynn said...

Wonderful Ideas and I especially need to work on that Starbucks one, Im sooo addicted lol

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

The one expense my husband and I argued about is our landscapers. I thought he should do the work himself and he likes the idea of hiring someone. We found someone that only charges us $65 a month and I now agree it is totally worth it. It saves him so much time that he can now spend with our family, especially the weeks he only has one day off.

Bec said...

Thanks for your lovely comment Jill, it means a lot to me xoxo I know what you mean about reading and not always commenting, I dont think I have missed any of your posts but I dont always get a chance to comment, sometimes I am reading bits and pieces as I do other things or get called away half way through :) I love your tips on savings, any little tip is helpful! I too cant understnad how many people spend thier hard earned money on takeway food, which is also often unhealthy. It really isnt much to make a sandwich and some fruit for a fraction of the price! I usually cook extra at dinner so that my man can take leftovers, sometimes so bread to put it on, but it takes no extra time or effort on either of our behalf! I couldnt imagine eating out every night, I think I would feel terribly sick, the food and the money spent lol, plus I love that my kids, and I, know where all thier food comes from and what is in it.

Carmen said...

Great Tips!!!

Heather M said...

Great tips Jill, Yo have given me a lot to think about!!! I hope you and those beautiful girls have a wonderful weekend!

Mandie said...

Great tips! I am happy to say that we do most of them. I don't make hubbies lunch every day but frequently and the kids love school lunches. I have tried everything to get them to eat homemade, lol. Every now and then I get lucky. I think they like to sit by certain people and that is why they beg to eat at school... silly girls!

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jill, Thank you for sharing all your wonderful tips for saving $$$ all year long. I agree and do just about each one you pass on. As a child my parents did these things too. When you learn them from childhood they stay with you. How wonderful your dear girls are learning these most valuable living cost cutters. Like with our current project, hubby and I did all that we were able, instead of hiring it out. In fact 99 percent of all we do is done by us. It may not be perfect, but it does save big time and gives such a sense of accomplishment.
Love the pic of your daughter with the veggies.
Have a great day and blessings to you always.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

SonyaAnn said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It keeps me energized to find new ways to save!