Friday, February 25, 2011

Rainy days...recipe to enjoy!

Rainy days can be uninspiring.... or relaxing.....
We're getting a lot of rain and wind and I'm beginning to think our picnic table will soon be swept away! LOL

Owen is too tired to play with his stuffed hedgehog, so instead he's using it as a pillow!

A little blurry as I took these through the front door, no way I was standing in that rain for pictures, lol.

Rain was so heavy it knocked down our cattails...

What's this I see? Some signs of Spring! :-)

Drinking lots of water and preparing our grocery trip, will wait till tomorrow though, nothing like shopping for groceries in heavy rain....plus my car is in for inspection today.

Kathleen decided to stay in her Tinker Bell PJ's today to play the Wii. :-)

The treadmill and I got along great today with a walk/run routine! Felt great afterwards! :-)

Been wanting to share this yummy recipe I found it at Julie's blog. She posted it awhile ago and I had made it when we had friends over, if you like lemon, you'll enjoy this!

Lemon Pound Bundt Cake

Cream together:
3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks softened butter
1/2 cup Crisco

Beat in 5 eggs, one at a time

add:
2 T. Lemon extract
1 cup milk
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
(alternating flour and milk)

Pour into a Pam sprayed bundt pan
Bake one hour or so at 325 degrees

Icing:

Mix together;
1/2 stick softened butter
The juice and zest from 2 lemons
1 box powdered sugar (3 cups)

Spread over cooled cake
ENJOY!! :-)




Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! We're going to do some reading, learning, crafting etc!

Blessings,
Jill

16 comments:

Tracey said...

Hi Jill! I like Kathleen's idea of staying in her p.j.'s on a rainy day :) Owen is adorable. Bella uses her toys as pillows too! Enjoy your weekend!
Hugs and blessings,
Tracey

Julie said...

Rainy days, I'm ready for them instead of snow and cold but at least some sunshine today. Still only 3* though.
I love the sprouts coming up. Tulips, daffadils? Pretty anyways.
Thanks for sharing your day. Keep up the great work on the treadmill and a PJ day sounds awesome.
Take care and have a blessed afternoon.

Jenny said...

Hi Jill, yay for you getting in a workout! That is a perfect rainy day activity. My dog has that exact same toy, he got it from Santa. It is his favorite. :)
Where did you get that cute coupon holder/organizer? I really like it.

Cindy said...

Oh I love anything lemon!
Makes me think of spring!!
Have a happy day

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill,
Oh, love the rainy photos. All the colors seem to be brighter, deeper and more intense. Today it actually snowed, so I took some pics. I'll make sure to upload some of them to my blog soon :) :)
Oh, I wish I had a treadmill in my home. It's a little chilly to go for a walk today. however, I do have some dance workout DVDs that will come to my rescue ;) :)
That coupon organizer looks interesting. Where did you find that? Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Patti said...

Thanks for popping by the other day and for following my new classic movie blog. We'll see if I'm able to keep up with two blogs and my college!!!

I love to bake on rainy or cold days (which has been the case pretty much since October). It's a nice way to warm up the house, isn't it?

I'm not seeing any signs of spring flowers here yet...hopefully soon.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Love,
Patti

Donna said...

I'm sorry you are having rainy days. We get them in big clumps..but right now, it's just lots of sunshine. I love the photos though.

Lemon cake..yummy!

xo
Donna

~Niki~ said...

OH MY YUM!
I've been dieting~only 2 wks now . ugh! this looks so yummy. ;)
have a great weekend

Vic said...

sometimes rain is a pretty thing:) i love when it's warm enough to splash in it! those pics are gorge! i love staying in jammies all day! so nice! i would love a pup...i begged B for one! i need not want:) that recipe sounds so good - i get yelled at for buying so many baked goods and ingredients...LOL

Cinnamon said...

Jill - thanks for stopping by our blog. Yes finding the love of your life is wonderful. Of course I didn't know that 24 yrs ago...but he did :-)

Loved your peek of spring :-)

~Cinnamon

Life In a Little House said...

Sounds like your putting that rain to good use!! Exercise, organizing, baking....sounds like a great plan ~We are getting tons of rain here as well. Have a wonderful weekend.

Seizing My Day said...

I LOVE love love your picnic table!!! I have been wishing for a hexagon picnic table... we are a between borders family (Canada and USA) and every time we go visit the hubs family... there is a picnic table like yours sitting near the border... teasing me.. ha ha... anyway... I feel your pain with the rain... we get it alot here too! right now our rain is White!! =)
Have a lovely indoor weekend!

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

That's a lot of rain! Wow! You've got a creek flowing there.

Yum! The bundt cake reminds me of a lemon jello cake that my mom used to make when I was a kid.

McVal said...

I love a rainy day with nothing planned! Those budding flowers fill me with hope! It's in the 30s around here but sunny. I hope we get to spring too... someday...

Bec said...

definately signs of spring there!! WE have Autumn upon us, far too soon for my liking lol! I am jealous of your treadmill, I would loooove to have one, I have been thinking about renting one.

Liz said...

Yay for signs of spring! I am so ready, it's been a long, hard winter and I can't wait for some wonderful weather!

I'm with you on the rainy day thing, sometimes they are great and sometimes they are just depressing. Sometimes it's nice to have a reason not to leave the house and stay a warm at home.