Thursday, February 3, 2011

Some blog awards, a craft, pear cake and banana bread! Whew!

I was so blessed today to receive two awards from Mana's Little chick's blog. Thank you so much!! I greatly appreciate them. :-)



I am also very blessed to have met some amazing people through the blogs I read, so I want to pass these awards on to ALL of you who visit me.  You all have something special that you bring to the blogging world. :-) Thanks for coming by, reading and commenting! You all make me smile and I greatly appreciate it. :-)

Schools were back to a normal schedule today, so it was just Kathleen and I. She asked if she could hang out in her pajamas and I said yes, sometimes you just have to have a pajama day! LOL. To them it's like a special treat. We started our day with lessons.
Then we did a fun but simple craft today. We took a plastic cup and put some salt in it, then we added red food coloring and stirred it all together.

Meanwhile, Kathleen glued on her heart, then prepared with glue.
Add mixture over the glue....

Shake off the excess and allow to dry. We then hung it up in our window. :-)

I always make goodies for Jerry's work and today I made banana bread. I did have to sample a piece and oh my it was so good!

Banana Bread

3/4 cups butter softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
3 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 bananas mashed

Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
Add eggs one at a time beating until just blended after each one.
Combine flour and baking soda;gradually add to butter mixture
Beating at low speed until just blended.
Stir in mashed bananas
Pour into 2 greased 9" by 5" loaf pans
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
Enjoy!!

Next I tried a new recipe called Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake, very yummy but I think it would be even better with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. :-)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large pears, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup molasses
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup warm water

Pour melted butter into 9 inch baking pan, sprinkle with nuts and brown sugar. Arrange pears over nuts

In a large bowl cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, ginger,cinnamon, salt,baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition

Spread batter over pears. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 mins.or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins before inverting onto a serving plate.
Enjoy!!

Another thing we tried today after I found this great idea at Donna's blog Comin Home was to grow bulbs in an indoor garden. She even mentioned using fish gravel from the aquarium. So Kathleen and I remembered we had bought some hyacinth bulbs ( my favorite flower :-) So we set up our own garden indoors and can't wait to watch it grow! This is just what I needed to help with my Spring fever! Thanks Donna for sharing this great idea!
Kathleen wanted to "dress up" for this picture, lol.

These are planters the girls made last year at Lowe's build and grow day. Come on Spring... we're ready!

Have a great night!

Blessings,
Jill

20 comments:

Julie said...

Love the salt and heart idea. We've been working on a few Valentine crafts too.
This year I'm going to start my garden plants. I use to do it all the time but then had young daycare kids that couldn't leave the plants alone, now they are older so think it's worth a try.
Take care Jill and have a blessed evening.

Mandie said...

These recipes sound fabulous! I love banana bread. What a great idea to plant those. I have seen the paper white planted after Christmas but not the hyacinth. They smell sooo yummy. Have a great Weekend!

Wendi said...

Love the salt idea! I think we will give that a try this weekend.

Heather M said...

YAY Jill congrats on the awards you sooooooo deserve them!! I love the valentine heart what a neat idea! I hope your staying warm!

Life In a Little House said...

Oh how cute PJ day sounds wonderful!! Kathleen is such a sweetie I just smile every time I see a picture of her smiling!! The bread and pear cake look delicious....And the bulbs will be wonderful to have in the house I will have to check out how you get them to bloom. Nice to have flowers in the winter ~Have a great Super Bowl weekend Love Heather

SonyaAnn said...

What a wonderful life!!!
Have a great weekend!

DeanO said...

Ms. Jill - it's those simple things that create memories which last a life time. Great pictures.

Along A Widowed Road said...

Hi Jill,

I've really enjoyed getting to know your through blogland. How cute that you guys had PJ day at your house. Savannah's whole school is doing this tomorrow. They're even watching a special Disney movie too. Savannah is so excited.

Congrats to you too on the blog award. I got one too. I love Mama Chicks blog. She's another woman like you that's an inspiration.

Take care,
Viola

Kerri said...

We've had our share of pajama days this week....I was glad school was back in session yesterday!

You sure do know how to pack a lot of things into one day!! My husband loves pears...I will have to try your upside down pear cake.

Courtney said...

Add a half cup of chocolate chips to that banana bread. Thank me later. =)

McVal said...

Lowes has such great classes for kids! I wish I could have taken my kids down for a few of them...
Such a cool day!

Kim said...

The Little Ballerina has been requesting banana bread for a week now. I can't get the bananas to ripen quick enough though.

That heart craft is very cool. It looks like you made your own glitter. :)

Carmen said...

Extremely Cute, Jill. Love all the crafty ideas. The banana bread looks fabulous.

Lynn said...

I loved the crafts yall did and that banana bread sounds so good and simple to make I just may have to try that, thanks for sharing. I will have to check out the bulb thing I love trying to grow stuff lol

Tara said...

Hi Jill! Thanks for finding me! Your girls are adorable! I'll be following this one for sure... that yummy food! Can't keep me away. Looks like you ahve some great crafts for the kids ideas too! Thanks for letting me follow you! Enjoy your night, tara

Smita Srivastava said...

What a lovely blog ... simply love ur creative ideas !!!

- Smita
www.littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
(fun foods for picky lil eaters )

~ Noelle said...

oh, i just love banana bread...
so yummy

Camille said...

What a fun Mom you are Jill! Your girls will remember all the special things you did with them...very precious! And...does your hubby know how blessed he is to have you doing all that baking for him? I *love* banana bread...especially with chocolate in it. :)

Have a wonderful week!
Many blessings,
Camille

Mama Hen said...

You are such an amazing mom! The recipe looks delicious and you are so creative with your girls! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Bec said...

I love the little planters that the girls made, they look relaly cute! THe cake/bread looks really yummy, I love banana bread as well, its like a staple in this house! I like the idea of planting bulbs inside too, I hadnt thought of that!