Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Weekend Valentine Craft and a crispy onion chicken recipe :-)

The schools were closed again today, so I kept the girls busy with crafts and learning. I will post more of those activities and another recipe for the crock pot tomorrow. :-) I want to catch up on a craft we worked on as a family this weekend. A couple years ago my friend Lori had made hearts to hang on her children's doorknobs to fill with notes for the month of February. We had always done notes on that day, but we liked the idea of all month so we started doing our own hearts.

This year I decided to do a little something different that would last from year to year and not get caught when closing the doors. We took a trip to Target to get our supplies and I let everyone pick what color mailboxes they wanted to decorate, along with stickers etc. Then we got creative and had a blast!

These are the before...

Next we got out our decorating supplies...




Mommy's....

Daddy's....

Hayley's....


Kathleen's....

They are now sitting just outside our doorways and we've already begin our letter writing...which I treasure and keep every one! These are the notepads we selected to write our notes to one another.


I am always looking for moist, delicious chicken recipes and I found a delectable one in my new Taste of Home magazine. I just started subscribing to it and I have not been disappointed yet!
This is a must try! Inexpensive, quick and so yummy!

Crispy Onion Chicken

1/2 cup butter melted
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper ( I left this out as I am not a fan of pepper)  :-)
1 can ( 6 ounces) cheddar or original french-fried onions crushed ( I used original)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

In a shallow bowl, combine the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, add 1/2 cup fried onions. Dip chicken in the butter mixture, then coat with onions.

Place in a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Top with remaining onions;drizzle with any remaining butter mixture. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

I also made fresh green beans, baked potatoes and rolls to enjoy with it!


We also had a movie night and rented Secretariat from Redbox. What a great movie, but I recommend keeping a tissue box close at hand. :-)

These two were being silly eating their popcorn! LOL.

As I type we just received notice that the schools are closed again tomorrow due to bad weather. So I will be planning more activities. :-) I still have papers to work on for school tonight, so it looks like I will be getting very little sleep again.

Hope you all have a lovely day!

blessings,
Jill

14 comments:

~Niki~ said...

oh i would not do good living in snowy weather where schools are closed~working from home is so hard when the kids are home. lol. you have tons more patience than me.

claudia b said...

i just saw those at target but had no idea what to do with them! going back tomorrow and getting mailboxes for my boys!

Along A Widowed Road said...

Ok Jill - I totally love this idea. I might be poppin by Target tomorrow and do this for Savannah.

Your recipes look wonderful.

Viola

Pam said...

Hi Jill, Your daughters are beautiful, you're such an inspiration to moms! I'm a new blogger and look forward to meeting kindred spirits as yourself. I also have two daughters, 20, and 24. My oldest is a 2nd grade teacher. I love to write and would love to share musings and ideas with you. Blessings, Pam

Julie Harward said...

Looks like a fun day to be home..cute little mail boxes! The recipe looks good too..stay cozy! ;D

Cindy said...

We sure do love love notes in our house too.
The mailboxes look great!
Enjoy the day...snow and all.:)

Wendi said...

Those turned out adorable! We are enjoying another "snow" day today. Yesterday it was ice and today it is high winds. Stay warm and safe!

Suzanne W. said...

Must make that dish!! Yum-o!!

Seeing as you have a dog, wondering if you'd be interested in following our puppy's new blog. At least the kids would get a kick out of her photos!
Let me know what you think! :)

Our dog's blog-Making Of A Mastiff

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Your family is the cutest!!! Hubby looks like he is enjoying making those Valentines with his girls. God bless you my sweet friend.
Hugs,
Bren

Olives and Pickles said...

Nice!!

Life In a Little House said...

The crafts look adorable the girls did a wonderful job!! Stay warm and enjoy your snow day ~Love Heather

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Your little mailboxes were precious ~ what a wonderful custom! Your girls always look so content and peaceful...not that I would expect you to take pictures when they weren't...but they look like they genuinely like each other.

Heather M said...

I Love the mail boxes soo cute!!! Im totally making that chicken yummm!!!

~ Noelle said...

what cute crafts!!!
love the idea of letters...
that is a great pic of them having fun at the end!