Thursday, March 24, 2011

Birds and music and books! :-)

Woke up this morning to bitter cold and snow!! What in the world!! I am still being optimistic and we are focusing our studies on the weather and Spring! Sooner or later it has to arrive and stick around!!

Yesterday afternoon I had to smile when I found Kathleen like this in our living room. I love that my girls love to read as much as I do. :-)
Today we talked about the wind and birds!
We made a wind instrument using a toilet paper roll, wax paper, rubber bands and crayons.

As you can see I have the pattern laid out for our bird as well!

Yes...I still have my snowmen decor out....it's that cold! LOL

Just hum into the small hole and enjoy your wind instrument!

Simple project, fun for the kids and lots of learning discussions!

Next we talked about birds. We have bluebirds starting to nest in our bird houses out front. So nice to hear them singing outside our windows in the morning!

Owen waiting patiently by my feet to play!


As you can see I cut a slit in the middle of the bird so we could place the wings inside and he can fly!


A couple finger plays:

A nest for Mrs. Robin, (form circle)
A woodpecker's hole in a tree, (form circle)
Or a birdhouse made by me: (point to self)
Bird homes are all three!( three fingers)

Little Robin redbreast sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head. (move head)
Wiggle, waggle went his tail. (wiggle hands behind back)
Scottish nursery Rhyme.

Here's a little saying to encourage the activity as you recite it.

Baby Birdies:
We are baby birdies living in a nest.
We dream of flying when we take our rest
Finally one Spring day we hop, hop, hop.
And flutter our wings flop, flop, flop
They lift us up and then we fly
We fly around the sky
Flying very high and flying very low
Then in a big circle--round we go
Finally we soar home and go to sleep
We close our eyes without a peep!

Enjoy!!

Just curious....I've noticed with blogger I've been unable to pull in updates on my dashboard. Is anyone else having this problem?

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

blessings,
Jill


19 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Sounds like a fun day at your house, in spite of the weather. Now go put that snowman away...bad omen for Spring! LOL

Along A Widowed Road said...

Hi Jill,

Savannah and Kathleen would get along great. Both have the love for books and art projects. love this age with the girlie of mine.

Hey your coffee mug and gift card are on their way.

email me when they arrive so I know they got their safely.

Take care, Viola

Camille said...

Fun times Jill! Isn't it wonderful to have little people reading and enjoying it?? Warms my heart. :)

Sorry you still have snow...but it will go away soon and spring will be here! The birds outside your window must give you hope of that! Don't you just love hearing them sing after a long winter?

Have a wonderful evening!
Many blessings,
Camille

Jenny said...

What a cute birdie. Yesterday it was 70 degrees here and today it was 33, so crazy. I am with you, I hope spring comes soon.

Lindsay said...

Cute pictures! I took your advice and had playtime with Noah with shaving cream on the table. He loved it! Thanks!

I've selected you for The Stylish Blogger award. Please go to http://lifeas5.blogspot.com/

Thanks again!!

Karen said...

What a beautiful, creative, fun little girl you got there.. You have done a great job..
Great post..
Have a great weekend..

Life In a Little House said...

Oh no more snow?? Where is spring?? Well I guess leave those snowmen out for another week or so right:) Kathleen is just cute as a button and love the crafts you made adorable ~Love Heather

Heather M said...

OOOHHHH I hope that it gets warm soon, Im soo sorry that its still cold! You guys are def making the best of it!!

Julie said...

Tomorrow we are going to make some chicks on a stick. In two week we are going to be getting our baby chickens so figured a good time to work on them. I love your noise maker. We made rain sticks like them (just paper towel rolls and rice). The kids loved them. We didn't use rubber bands, Hannah would take them off and the mess...not worth it so I duct taped the bag on. Save on my sanity that way.
Take care and God Bless!!

Olives and Pickles said...

soooo cute!

Genn said...

Hi Jill!
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
Love your blog's springy look.
You also have an adorable family. I see your little girls are a little older than mine. Maybe I can learn a thing or two from you!! :)
Have a happy day. I am your newest follower.

SonyaAnn said...

It's yucky here too! Everyone is complaining, it's time for winter to just accept defeat and leave.
It looks like another wonderful day.
Have a great weekend!

Tara said...

adorable birds! Love that cute Owen! Enjoy your weekend, tara

Traci said...

So creative Jill...something I am NOT! I think my daughter would love this bird craft idea.

My dashboard updates have been ok. Hope you get to the bottom of it. I hate when my computer won't cooperate.

McVal said...

We got about an inch but it's all gone now. Supposed to be in the 30s for about a week. YUCK! That 50 degree weather spoiled me...

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I think I would cry if I saw snow again! I'm so ready for spring. I just planted lettuce, peas and onions, so it better start shining!

We don't have cable, so I can't give you a time or date for Pantry Raid. But it is on Watch Instantly on Netflix. We have a ROKU box that streams Netflix to our TV. It is wonderful!

kewkew said...

Yeah, it was a tad chilly here today.
Love the picture of her on the couch with the books and the crafts look great!
Just wanted to let you know I have a blog award over at my blog for you
http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-was-given-award.html
Blessings

Beloved's Bride said...

HI Jill.
Cold weather rolled in again here too. Brr. Although I dont' think it truly went away with all the wind we were getting while it was in the 70s.

I adore the picture of her all over the couch with books. I adore book worms! ;)

Sweet craft too!

Lynn said...

The weather is just nuts. Love the bird projects and its always wonderful when kids love to read, ours did also when they were younger. I hope you and family are well :o)