Monday, March 21, 2011

It may be a rainy day...but we're crafting and ready for Spring!

Hope you had a fabulous weekend!! :-) We enjoyed some warmer temps. this weekend while we could, but today it is rainy and cold! :-( We are trying to encourage the Spring weather so we had some fun with crafts and learning!

Has anyone ever been to a Kiwi Yogurt place? They just opened one in our area, so on Saturday we went in to check it out. What a neat place! You pick the size cup you would like and it is self service for frozen yogurt! Plus self service toppings, including lots of yummy fruits! The girls loved it, and I must admit we did too. They were crazy busy and I bet the summer months will bring them lots of customers. The only negative I could find was not enough chairs and tables. They did keep pitchers of water full with cups to help yourself for free. We will definitely be visiting them again! I did not receive any compensation for talking about their store...I had never heard of them before we saw the sign this weekend. :-)

Kathleen and I were busy with learning today, and I found a nice magnetic calendar at A.C. Moore to use with her. We had the standard paper one they sell also, but the numbers were fall and it was more of a headache than a help. We loved the new calendar and today we opened it and got caught up on the month of March. It has a lot of different pieces for recording birthdays, sports practices, dance etc. She enjoyed getting it together. :-)
Sadly our local book store is going out of business...it's the only one nearby. The good thing is the books are being discounted by 60 %! So I found some learning books to use with Kathleen. This one is dealing with $$. Nice book for only about $2.00! :-) We all found a lot of really great deals.


I'm always happy when I find a great deal! :-)

Today we started talking about Spring, even though it's cold and rainy. I actually still have some snowmen decorations out...LOL Hasn't been nice enough to switch the decor!

I taught Kathleen this little finger play.....

Trees are budding.(Stretch arms above head)
The grass is green (point to ground)
Flower blossoms I have seen (Form circle with arms above head, sway)
The days are warm
By evening it cools
It's time to find the garden tools!

We then talked about Cherry Blossom Trees and Kathleen made her own!



We drew the tree trunk, then I had her cut and glue on leaves and cherry blossoms. She also added more creative touches to the pictures. :-)

Since we were talking about the fragrance of cherry blossoms and spring I lit my new candle from A.C. Moore that smells like lilac while we were working! Can't wait until the real thing starts to bloom!


Next we talked a bit about butterflies and started our next craft.
First I had her stand in paper while I traced her feet.

As always Owen is sitting there to give his approval! LOL

Not only is this a fun learning activity, it's a great keepsake for parents. How quickly their little hands and feet grow!

Here's the finished product....a beautiful butterfly!


She was also tickled pink when she found this pretzel in her snack bag that was shaped like a butterfly!


A little blurry, but you can get the idea. So neat how learning things can just start falling into place :-)

Another little activity that I did with her, that's great for rainy day weather is called Happy Children in he Springtime. Just recite this aloud as they follow directions and add things as you go!

Happy children in the springtime, run to the wall
Happy children in the springtime, hop back one and all
Happy children in the springtime,skip to the tree
Happy children in the springtime fly back to me
Happy children in the springtime,gallop to the door
Happy children in the springtime, sit on the floor!......

I will have more activities throughout the next few weeks!

Hope you all are having a great Monday! Thanks again for the kind comments and emails about the children I use to nanny for. I deeply appreciate it very much.

Blessings,
Jill

16 comments:

SonyaAnn said...

Happy Spring to you!
As always, it looks like such a wonderful place to live and grow up. You are a good mom and I'm sure your girls will turn out wonderfully because of all of the work that you put in.
Have a great week!

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

So sweet!!

We're having Spring here - as much as you can in Texas. If you don't pay attention it goes straight into Summer.

Love the chocolate pretzel butterflies ;-)

McVal said...

Happy Spring!!! Looks like Kathleen is learning a ton!
I scanned through the posts I've missed while being gone and saw the one you were referring to about being a nanny. I'm so sorry! My prayers are with Libby and her family. and you.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Jill :) :)
Oh, it looks like your girls are having fun learning. I'm a grown-up and I was having fun reading about all their activities ;) :) The butterfly shaped pretzel is cute :) :) Oh, you mentioned cherry blossoms. I took a bazillion photos of some local cherry blossom trees. I'll make sure to post some photos on Tuesday...so you and your girls can look at them :) :) I think your two girls will love the pink of the looms...so Tuesday for that ;) :) :)
I haven't heard of Kiwi Yogurt...but we used to have a yogurt shop where you could pick/choose your own toppings. We do have Cold Stone Creamery here in town. th at's fun to watch them m ix the ice cream with toppings on this cold marble slab.
Great find on that money book, too!!! Have a great week...you and your family :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Jenny said...

Yay, I love your spring activities! The butterfly feet picture is so cute! I have never heard of the ice cream place but it sounds yummy.

Julie said...

Oh I love the feet butterflies. That will be on our to do this week. I so love it when you share your projects. With doing daycare for 12 years I'm always looking for something we haven't done.
Take care and enjoy your spring activities.
God bless you and your family~

Wendi said...

Happy Spring to you! It is sunny at 70* here today. I hope that it makes its way east to you!

Thanks for the ideas. I think we will make the butterflies tomorrow.

Olives and Pickles said...

Just to let you know I just posted a raffle to help Japan.
http://olivesandpickles.blogspot.com/2011/03/japan-quake-appeal.html
If you are interested on helping you are more than welcome to participate.
thank you : )

Patty

Kerri said...

You're such a good mom Jill! Are you going to homeschool Kathleen? I might copy that butterfly picture with my son...I think he could handle that!

Oh, and I just put my snowmen stuff away on Friday!

Mark said...

You're are single handily making all other Mothers look bad. Thank God I'm a Dad and can't be jealous.
Your Friend, m.

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I'm so happy spring is here!

Lynn said...

We need rain so bad. The pictures your daughter drew are so cute. The yogurt place sounds so yummy, we dont have one of those around here :o(

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

The cherry blossom tree is cute, especially with the kitty up in the tree! Kathleen always has a beautiful smile on her face. I also love how you make learning fun.

Natasha said...

Wow, you are such a good mum! Your ideas are so creative and special. I wish I'd seen your blog when my kids were little!

I just read your news and please know that I am thinking of you.

Enjoy the springtime weather when it arrives. I wish you could send me some cold weather as I am desperately waiting for Autumn to arrive and it just doesn't seem to want to get here to Oz!

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

Cindy said...

Love any kind of butterfly art!
And the pretzels are perfect
Have a happy day

Tara said...

Love the project ideas! Even the simple ones are so much fun for them, thanks for reminding me to do more fun with my girls.