Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Some recipes .....

Hello!!!! We have sunshine today!! :-) We've been up since 5 AM, it's another band morning for Hayley. On the bright side I've been able to catch up with lots of chores and organizing today!! This afternoon we're off to pick up Hayley's new glasses and her medicines. It feels great getting things accomplished. I start a new college course tomorrow so this is my last "free" day so to speak. I did take a break from running because my legs and tops of my ankles/legs are so sore. I don't want to overdue and risk any injuries.

When I came in from the other room this morning I saw this:
"Nope Mom, wasn't me, it was him honest!" LOL. Notice my curtain pulled down in the background? :-)
This kind of things are daily occurrences in our house, that's why I have magnetic curtain holders for the sidelights. :-)

Kathleen was busy making the Shamrocks to hang in those window squares. She does 5 and Hayley does 5 and we change them for seasons and holidays.


I mentioned in my other post some new recipes I was trying. This one I found at Gina's Skinny Recipes.
If you haven't already found her site, it's definitely worth it to stop by! She creates recipes with weight watchers point values. They are awesome recipes! This one I tried last night was for a zucchini casserole and it was delicious!!

I know...it looks like a big pile of mush... but it is really yummy! And if you do follow weight watchers it's only 3 points. :-)

4 cups grated zucchini
1 cup Bisquick (using heart smart)
1 small onion, grated
3 egg whites, 1 whole egg
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything together in a bowl. Spray pie or casserole dish with Pam ( I used olive oil in a special container we have for spraying oils)
Pour in mixture
Bake 45 mins or so until golden brown.
Put a toothpick in the center to see if it's done.
Enjoy!!!

The next meal I tried was Chicken Terriyaki with Broccoli ( Not Gina's recipes)

Cooking spray
2 cloves garlic minced
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless, chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
4 medium scallions ( I left these out didn't have them on hand) chopped (green and white parts)
1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
2 Tbsp Terriyaki sauce
2 cups cooked brown rice, regular or instant keep hot
4 cups fresh broccoli florets, steamed

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium high heat. When hot, add garlic;cook stirring about 1 min. Add chicken, cook until golden brown on all sides, stirring often about 5 mins.

Add scallions; cook until soft, stirring, about 2 mins. Add broth and terriyaki sauce; simmer until chicken is cooked through ans sauce reduces slightly, about 5 mins.

Spoon 1/2 cup of cooked rice into each of 4 shallow bowls, spoon 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1/2 cup broccoli over each serving.

Enjoy!! (This had a really nice taste) Girls enjoyed it too!



I also had a smile on my face when I found my herbs growing into a heart shape on my window sill. The girls were delighted by it. :-)


I'm also enjoying some leisure reading. Right now I'm reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. It's really good so far, I really enjoy his books. My all time favorite of his is The Notebook. If you have not read this book yet I highly recommend it. But be sure to have tissues nearby. :-)

Have a great afternoon!!!

Thanks to all of you for the lovely comments on my last post. I appreciate every one! And as Mark mentioned to have me let the girls paint my sneakers pink....hmmmm... maybe I will! LOL I know they would sure enjoy it. LOL

Blessings,
Jill

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

I've made the chicken teryaki recipe a few times, everyone likes it here!

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog the other day, they helped get me over that little bump in the road. Thanks again!

A Primitive Homestead said...

Pretty little heart sprouting there. I have not read either book but I have watched the move The Notebook many times. Love it. The undieing love they shared & that big old beautiful house he remodeled. Amazing. The scene in the boat on the water feeding the ducks is my fav. My oldest son looks like the actor (Ryan Gosling) young Noah. Blessings! Lara

Annie Jones said...

Thanks for the recipes. I have a few packages of zucchini in the freezer from last year's garden that I need to use. I get tired of always putting it in zucchini bread.

Kerri said...

That zucchini dish sounds so good!
Thanks for the skinny recipe blog...I'm starting WW on Friday & those recipes will come in handy! Thanks!

Syl said...

thanks for reminding me of that website, it's been a while!
Your dogs are adorable! I miss having a big dog in the house!

Vic said...

ahaha...damn dogs! too funny! looks like a blast, chaos and all!:) love it! those shamrocks look great girl! i sometimes don't know if taking a break from walking/running for me is good because i end up forgetting to get back at it, but tore a muscle months ago and it still is in so much pain! why do we need to workout again?!

ugh! have fun at the new class and the recipe is divine! thanks doll

McVal said...

I hope you take pics of the shamrock-y window!

Wendi said...

I love, love, love The Notebook! A book hadn't made me tear up so much in a long time. Very cool heart shaped herb.

Seizing My Day said...

That zucchini dish looks so yummy!! I heart zucchini!! =) only I will have to try to modify it to be gluten free!?? =) I am off to check out her recipes... see if I have any gluten free luck!! ha ha!

Life In a Little House said...

Oh that does look Yummy! You asked me if I run and am not running much right now I have been sick and my asthma has been terrible but I do love to run and come from a family that has many marathon runners and cyclists....It is good to rest while your muscles are getting used to it. No fun to get injuries. I keep a large container of epsom salt next to my bath tub. Great for soaking sore muscles. And a super hot bath till you work up a sweat is an excellent detox as well!! ~Thanks for sharing the recipes I will have to check out that book I just picked up a few books from the thrift store..I am still fighting this flu and picked up round 2 of antibiotics today :( ..so I have been catching up on my reading ~Hope your having a wonderful week ~Love Heather

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, those recipes look good,...and I do enjoy zucchini ) :) :) The girls shamrocks are really cute...:)
How fun that your herbs are growing into a heart-shape :) I guess that makes it romantic herbs? :) :) Have a good week!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :)

Lynn said...

I loved the dog picture lol I just love how yall are always doing crafts together also. That chicken recipe sounds so delish!! thanks for sharing that and I sure hope you are having a good week :o) Thank God for the sun eh? :o)

Camille said...

I *love* trying out new recipes! I even *read* recipe books for enjoyment...LOL! :)

Those dogs of yours don't look guilty at all! ;-)

Many blessings,
Camille

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Great recipes!!! I can't wait to try them out!