Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tuna casserole recipe and odds and ends :-)

Well I got back to my walk run program today after running Kathleen to all her activities, now I am very tired and VERY sore!!! :-) I keep telling myself it will be worth it. :-) Wanted to share another great recipe from Ginas site. This is really good and for those of you on WW it's 8 points.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

6 oz no yolk noodles
1 tbsp butter
1 medium onion minced fine
3 tbsp flour (gluten free use rice flour)
1 3/4 cups fat free chicken broth
1 cup 1 percent milk
1 oz sherry (optional) I left this out of mine.
10 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 cup frozen petite peas thawed
2 (5 oz) cans tuna
4 oz 50 percent reduced fat sharp cheddar
butter flavor cooking spray
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs

Cook noodles until al dente or slightly undercooked by 2 mins. Set aside.

Melt butter in a deep skillet. Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft, about 5 mins. Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 mins on medium low.

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray 9 x 12 casserole with butter flavor cooking spray. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined, increasing heat to medium and whisking well for 30 seconds, then add the milk and bring to a boil. When boiling, add sherry, mushrooms and petite peas, adjust salt and pepper taste and simmer on medium mixing occasionally until it thickens about 5-7 mins. Add drained tuna, stirring another minute.

Remove from heat and add 1 cup cheddar and mix well until it melts. Add the noodles to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated. Pour into casserole and top with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray and top bake for 20-25 mins

Enjoy!!  Thank you Gina for the great recipes!! :-)

Soooo yummy and enough for lunch the next day!!

Last night we went to pick up Hayley's new glasses, they make her look so grown up. She really likes them :-)

Sally and Owen were tired out from watching my workout on the treadmill! LOL

Jerry was feeling inspired and bundled up to run in the freezing cold weather and wind last night! I'll stay with the treadmill for now, lol. Then he locked himself out and was banging on the window at 10:30 PM making the dogs bark like crazy.... at least the girls didn't wake up!



Today was also exciting for Kathleen because her bulb was starting to bloom!! Owen of course had to pose in these shots too. He's our shadow follows us everywhere! :-)




Our groomer had to reschedule so next Tuesday he will look like a different dog! LOL

Some quotes I'd like to share with you tonight too.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up"

-Steve Prefontaine American Running Legend

"More powerful than the will to win is the courage to begin"  Author Unknown

My  college course started today so I'll be starting on another 6 weeks of intense studying. Hoping to finish my other book ( The choice) too. We have a busy weekend ahead. Dr. Seuss's birthday will be celebrated at our local library. I love Dr. Seuss!!! Then I am chaperoning Hayley's Scout sleepover....wish me luck, then Sunday errands and hopefully a stop at A.C. Moores grand opening. You know how much we love crafting!! So I'll leave you with one of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes...

"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter"  -Dr. Seuss

Be sure to visit Seussville! Fun for family and educators!!!

His birthday was yesterday; Happy Belated Birthday Dr. Seuss!! Thanks for enriching my life and my children's and so many other children's lives. :-)

Oh, I almost forgot.... two funny things Kathleen said I've been wanting to share!

1) We were at dinner the other night and Jerry wanted Hayley to try a jalepeno chip. I was warning her it was very hot, she hesistated a bit and Kathleen reached over, touched it with her finger and said "I't's not hot!" LOL

2) Then the other morning when I made Kathleen's breakfast she asked how I got it done so fast! I said because I'm Super Mom! She said "well can you fly?" She was so serious and I said "well maybe...." Then she said "well let me see you!" LOL So serious and intent.... I love that little girl!! 


Hope you are having a wonderful night!!! :-)

Many Blessings,
Jill

17 comments:

Tara said...

Love the picture of Kathleen smiling with her blooming bulb! (love that name) Thanks for the recipies

Jenny said...

#1 And #2 things Kathleen said are cracking me up!!!

Cherie said...

I love Tuna Casserole but no on else in my house likes it so I may have to make it just for me!
Yesterday on Dr. Suess's birthday I made 400 green eggs and ham - it was exhausting but fun to celebrate!

Happy day!

Heather M said...

I LOVE tuna casserole and so does Landon! I LOVE Hayley's new glasses! We are Big Dr. Suess fans, I have 2 of his quotes on Landon's wall so inspiring!! i hope you guys have a great weekend!

Syl said...

Great post! I use to brave the cold weather too, but some how lately I've been a wimp!

Great work keeping it inside, it's much warmer ;-).

Love all the pics!

Sandra J said...

Yum. I love tuna noodle casserole.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love tuna casserole, too. Wow, that bulb bloom is looking beautiful. Hailey looks really grown up with those glasses. Have a great weekend!

Bec said...

Love Dr Seauss!! Kathleens spring bulb looks lovely :)

Lynn said...

Kids are so funny and that is a good one about touching the jalapeno and saying its not hot LOL Your daughters glasses are very pretty and they do make her look like a little grown lady, they are wonderful on her. That casserole sounds delish, except for the mushrooms, not a fan there LOL thanks so much for sharing it and I hope you are having a good day :o)

Julie Harward said...

I always love a good tuna cass. YUM! She looks so cute in those glasses..and the little dog sure is cute..even if he did bite a hole in his kennel! LOL

Camille said...

Your tuna casserole does sound yummy...I might just have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing Jill. :)

And way to go on the jogging! Don't overdo it...shin splints are never fun...stretch, stretch, stretch! Oh, and did I mention you should stretch? ;-)

Your man made me laugh...too funny to lock himself out in freezing temps! LOL!

Isn't it fun to have a little bit of spring indoors? We grew a bulb that way last winter/spring...fun!

Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Camille

Julie said...

Mike and Dr. Seuss share the day. We've always made a big to do about that.
I so love you sharing with us. So cool. I have to check out that tuna caasserole though we don't do tuna, chicken would work too.
You are doing awesome on the treadmill. Do stretch though it'll help lots. It took me awhile to figure out stretching isn't a waste of time.
Take care Jill and havea blessed weekend.

Kat said...

HI Jill good luck with your exercise it's hard to stick with it but you can do it. I have a exercise plan as well, but not running, though I love to run. The recipes sounds good! How exciting for Kathleen getting to watch her bulb sprout and grow, that's the same flower I gave my mom for her birthday and she says it's growing so fast and has flowers on it now. My moms flowers are red, but I have white ones like Kathleen. Have a great day sweets. big hugs

SonyaAnn said...

Great post. And good luck with the treadmill. Would you consider running a bit for me? LOL

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Your family is adorable. The hubby going out to exercise at 10:30 pm in the cold??? He's a trooper.

I'm loving the bloom popping out of Kathleen's bulb and of course, Owen, posing for the cameras.

Dr. Seuss and his quotes are some of my favorites.

You've got some busyness going on but it sounds like fun! Enjoy!

McVal said...

Hayley looks great in those glasses! and I'm printing off that recipe now. Yum!

Liz said...

Love Hayley's glasses, you are right, they do make her look grown up! The recipe looks delicious. Love Dr. Seuss and he has some of the best quotes! The Kathleen quotes cracked me up, so funny!