Thursday, April 28, 2011

Book Review: Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock


An emotional ride.

This is a book about domestic violence. The story is told by an eleven year old girl named Roz.  It is about their family's journey to escape her alcoholic, abusive father. Roz as a young child doesn't fully understand the severity of the situation and continues to feel conflicting emotions of love as well as uncertainties about her father. When her grandfather helps them move away, they meet an elderly lady names Tilly. Who becomes a key person in the drama that enfolds. There is suspense, sadness and hope in this story.
It is a touching story that one remembers long after the read. It is thought provoking and insightful and I was glad to have the opportunity to review it. You will get to know the characters in this book like your own family. When Roz's Dad tracks them down, there are surprising twists and turns.....

When I write a review I don't like to spoil the book with too many details. I recommend you read them for yourselves to decide. :-) This is one I don't think you'd be disappointed in.

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers. I was asked to give an honest review of what I thought of the book.

4 comments:

Annie Jones said...

Thanks for the review. It sounds like one I would like; I'm going to add it to my list.

~Niki~ said...

I don't know if you know this, but I have a whole other blog that is my book review site! I get TONS of books daily just to review. I'm now at the point where I contact the authors and publishers I want to do reviews. You might think of starting a book review blog. Sometimes you can connect easier/quicker with the publishers that way, and authors find you better. you can check out my profile if you want to see my book review blog. i've been doing it over a year now, love it.
i get all the newest books for the kids!

Lindsay said...

Sounds good, i'll have to put it on hold at the library!

Cherie said...

Sounds like an interesting topic I will have to check it out - I am always reading and need a good book!