Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Book Review: Courting Miss Amsel


Let's take a journey back to the simpler times. No electronic gadgets, no take out meals, no hustle and bustle of the fast paced world. This story takes place in the late 1800's. It is a story about a young school teacher named Edythe. Edythe moves to Nebraska for her first teaching position. The story shows her strength and character and the trials she faces. It was not easy back then for women to have the rights they have now. She dealt with her adversity with grace. As the title suggests...love begins to blossom in Miss Amsel's life despite her resistance to it. Not wanting to give up her career as a school teacher.
Will Edythe take the chance on love or merely let it pass her by? Can she adjust to the conditions of being a single women on her own in a new place?
The book also takes you on a journey to Edythe's faith and the belief she learns will lead her to God's word.
It is a pleasant read, with very good messages about the things we encounter in our lives. The hard decisions we must sometimes face to take us to that better place. I enjoyed this book very much. I found myself having a hard time putting it down, as I wanted to know what would happen next.
This is the first time I have read a book by this author. I found I enjoyed her writing very much and I plan to read more of her books in the near future. To find out the choices Edythe makes I would recommend reading this book. It flows easily and is a great summer read! Be whisked back in time to enjoy the trials that a young women faces.

I received this book from Bethany House Publishers for free. All views are my own and I was not influenced to write a positive review.

Have a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

1 comment:

Genn said...

Hi Jill,
I love to read and this book sounds great. I am adding it to my list. I epecially love 18th century literature. It's so fun to imagine what life was like during that time isn't it?

Have a great weekend Jill. :)