Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nature walk, crafts:Turtles and Butterflies!

We are having a beautiful day today! Good thing too because Hayley runs the mile at her school. She was a bit nervous and as a good luck charm Jerry let her wear his medal from when he ran the 1/2 marathon. Hayley's whole face lit up. She knows it means a lot to him and he was letting her take it to school. She wore it proudly!
I put her hair up in a bun so she would stay nice and cool.

The awesome sunglasses were a must...you know! Good luck Hayley!! You always make us so proud!


I had Kathleen do a craft of a butterfly and then we talked about them. A great site to visit for info. is www.butterflysite.com.
We made Kathleen's butterfly out of coffee filters with watercolor paints and then added pipe cleaner for the body.



We went on a nature walk to find our own butterflies and to collect items to glue on our turtle's shell that we were making. To find out some fun facts about turtles you can visit www.peteducation.com. Kathleen and I love internet resources as well as regular trips to the library. Hands on is my favorite method of teaching. :-)
Come walk with us!
Beautiful blooms in our front flower bed....


I love how she'll just sit down anyway to gather her resources!

These have always been one of my favorite blooms! I have them all around my yard in different planters.

We had the perfect breeze...just the right amount of sunshine....lots of great finds!

Taking a rest by our neighbor's pond! Hopefully ours will get done soon so I can share pics! He's a landscaper so his yard always looks so lovely. :-)

Some more of his yard...Kathleen wanted her picture next to the purple flowers.
These are the fish in our pond...she was so excited they weren't hiding today so she wanted me to take a picture. Sorry it's so blurry!

So after our nice long walk we began to work on our turtle.
She's quite talented isn't she? I would say that looks just like a turtle....lol :-)

Tada!

Here I gave Kathleen a paper plate. Then she colored it with brown marker. We were out of brown paint.
:-( Too bad that would have been so much messier! Then I cut out the legs, head and tail for her to glue on and she glued on some of her findings from our walk. Flower petals, leaves, stones, etc. Sky's the limit!!

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do"  Walt Disney

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I encourage all of you to use your imaginations today. Enjoy the outdoors whether you have children or not. Try to remember the dreams you had or have. Have you full filled them? Why or why not? Set a plan in motion and follow your hearts. Today is a day for new beginnings....

Blessings,
Jill

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

My daughter ran the mile at school the other day! She was proud of herself because she shaved almost a minute off her time from last year. : )

Mark said...

My dream was to grow up and marry Parker Stevenson. I'm still holding out hope. I wonder if he'll see this and give me a call.
Thanks for making me dream again.
Your Friend, m.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Jill,
That's awesome that Hayley is running the mile. How did she do? I can't even run a m ile..well maybe in an hour :) :) OH, and Kathleen having fun with the nature walk :) :) Your flowers are gorgeous...especially those peachy orange ones ;) :) love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Julie said...

We do something sorta like you do when we walk. Which you know me and the daycare, it's often. We glue, paste, paint, color lots of odds things to this and that. I love that you work so much with Kathleen. She's one lucky little girl to have such a hands on mama.
Take care and I'm off to rest just a little bit. We did the library and then stop at the grocery store picked up corn dogs, banana's and M&M's and went and had a picnic at the park. Nap is late today but heck it's our first really sunny summery day. Have to go and play.
Blessings my friend.

Jamie said...

Way to go Hailey.the pictures are beautiful and the butterfly (I would never have thought of that)Keep it up Mama Jill

eileeninmd said...

Lots of fun happening there, great photos and info. Have a great weekend!

Wendi said...

Your walk looks like lots of fun! Cute turtle... we will have to make those soon. Have a great Thursday!

Heather M said...

How exciting!!! I love Hailey's Sunglasses, Im pretty sure I had a pair just like them growing up!!! So excited to hear how she did!!! I love the nature walk and all the crafts!! so fun!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I did that yesterday! I hopped in the van with the kiddos, grabbed another homeschool mom with her son and went for a nature walk. The hills are covered with wildflowers now! I got to play with my new camera! Fun, Fun, Fun!

Your blooms are beautiful. I love Columbine.

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Kathleen is just precious! I love her sweet little smile. You can tell she is having so much fun outdoors!

Good luck to Hayley on her run!

SonyaAnn said...

I'm sorry that I haven't been around lately, my internet has been down for day!
And your kids are picture perfect!!! But you know this, have a great day!

Lynn said...

That was so sweet of your hubby and the good luck charm. Love the pictures and the crafts, your house is just so full of imagination I love reading about it and seeing the things you and the girls create :o)

Life In a Little House said...

Yeah for Hayley running the mile our children are doing the same. Great sunglasses lol Kathleen did a fantastic job on her crafts!! They look wonderful great pics have s wonderful weekend love Heather

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You're so amazingly crafty! What do you do with all the crafts? I find myself avoiding crafts because they want to hang onto them forever and I can't stand clutter. What is your secret?