Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spring crafts, butterfly cookies and more :-)

Well....that day of "rest" went by very quickly! LOL But I wanted to make the best of today so we started out with some crafts. We made a pretty Spring flower.
Getting started....

Gluing down the petals....

I love her creativity with the swirls and the stripes.

We also made a caterpillar....

We covered a paper towel roll with construction paper and I let her rummage through our craft box to decorate the caterpillar the way she wanted to.

I had to laugh at this picture. Those of you who read my blog know our cat Elvis likes to be a part of all we do. He lingered on the chair for awhile...then I guess he needed a better view, climbed up behind Kathleen and posed for the picture, LOL.


I also wanted to make her a very special lunch today.


She always gets so very excited when I do this for her. I love making these meals for her.
She kept thanking me over and over.....:-) love you pumpkin!


Taking time to smell the flowers :-)

Afterwards we decided to make butterfly cookies from scratch.

Cream together:
1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
Beat in:
1 egg
Combine and add:
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted flour

Mix until ingredients are well blended. Chill dough 3 to 4 hours. Then preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll out dough and cut. Bake 8 to 10 mins. or until barely colored. Can be frosted and eaten or served plain.

If you'd like to prepare frosting:

3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
Melt butter. Then combine all ingredients, beat until smooth. add food coloring if desired.
Yields 1/3 cup

Enjoy!!!



Kathleen wanted so bad to crack her own egg. Since learning she outgrew her egg allergy she has been able to do so much cooking and baking with me. So today I thought I'd let her try!

So far, so good.... She's very confident in herself :-)

Whoops! Not quite! LOL

What's important is the learning.... letting them try things for themselves, giving them that sense of accomplishment. Giving Mommy great memories. :-)

Finally time to get it all mixed up and ready to chill for a few hours

This is one of her favorite parts.


Preparing the cookies....

She decided to use the squirt icing this time. LOL I just realized on here it looks like squirt cheese. I assure you it was not. :-)

We had a blast! Cookies and milk....what could be a better afternoon snack?

We had about a 15 min. break in the rain today so as I rushed out to get the mail I took my camera to get a few outside shots.

So happy to see my clematis finally blooming. :-)

An iris in one of my favorite shades....


Even though our pond area still needs some tweaking, I wanted to share what we've gotten done since the last set of pictures when we were just digging the hole...


We have some lilies and other pond plants in place, just waiting for them to bloom. The koi seem to be adjusting quite well. :-)

Today Jerry took a vacation day from work and went on a field trip with Hayley to Harrisburg. On the way home they stopped at Hershey's chocolate world. Hayley came home so excited about her day. Telling me what an awesome time they had. We were up at 4 AM this morning getting her ready, lol. Here is a few things she got with her own money she saved before going.

She got to make her own Hershey bar, and kept the clothing they made it in. Of course her hair was tucked up under the hat during the process.

She also picked out some gems to design her jewelry.

She also managed some stuffed animals....ugh....I am so anti-stuffed animals....we could already open our own store with them, lol. But to see her smile....I just held my tongue :-) Because that's what Mommy's do.


Daddy thought of Kathleen too and brought home a huge chocolate kiss

He also had this cool Hershey chocolate syrup bottle made for her.

She was so excited to have her picture on a bottle of Hershey's syrup! LOL

Thanks Daddy!!

They also got a great picture taken in the chocolate tour. Our neighbor and her group was right behind them in the seats.


Oh and I can;t forget to post these awesome cupcakes he brought home for all of us....yum!!

I'm pretty sure they're calorie free! LOL

Tomorrow I'll post more pictures from their trip.
Hope you all have a great night!

Blessings,
Jill

14 comments:

Olives and Pickles said...

My goodness...You guys are having fun!!mmmmmm I want some too : )
patty

Jamie said...

that is so sweet of hubby to bring home those cupcakes(they look soooo good)that hershey bottle is awesome,score!!!!The pictures of your day with Kathleen are so precious(its like a cook book for her)Your family is awesome Jill and the pond looks great.
Blessings

Wendi said...

Looks like a great day!

SonyaAnn said...

It looks like so many wonderful and fun things! I don't even know where to start.
Cute kids, fun food, and chocolate! Yay!

Annie Jones said...

I love the shade of that iris, too! And the clematis is beautiful!

McVal said...

Wow! You guys are just way too creative for me!
What a wonderful lunch you made her!
I think my clematis died. Choked out by the other plants around our posts...

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Wow, that all looks like so much fun! You always have the cutest ideas. And yes, that does look like cheese. I love your finished outdoor area...looks great!

Lynn said...

Sounds like a fun day. I love the crafts the flower is just too cute. I love those calorie free cupcakes hubby got for yall LOL I love your fish pond that is just so beautiful.

Tara said...

Those cupcakes look amazing! What a fun day you had with your daughter. Where do you get your craft ideas from? Have a great night, tara

Life In a Little House said...

Wow everything looks wonderful from the crafts to the cookies and the pond and the chocolate!! What a full and blessed life you have have a great weekend love Heather

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Wow, you've been busy...It looks like both your girls had some seriously fun adventures :) :) :) have a great weekend, Jill. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Kat said...

Hi Jill I love your pond it's very pretty. Those sweet little girls are so busy! they are always so cute! Your background is really pretty. I love Kathleen's little bakers hat that is adorable. Have a great weekend! Hugs

Sue said...

Good morning Jill, I am so happy to meet you. I throughly enjoyed my visit here. You have two beautiful daughters, making wonderful memories like these are the kind that will carry them through this journey we call life, and I know from experience it carries Mom and Dad.
Thank you for visiting me and for taking the time to leave me such a sweet note. I look forward to visiting you again.
Sue

Kerri said...

Your pond looks great...you guys did a good job! Kathleen looks so cute in her pink chef hat! And so nice of them to bring back treats for everyone!