Saturday, June 4, 2011

Book Review: The Sweetest Thing by Elizabeth Musser


The cover definitely opens you up to the intrigue of this wonderful novel! I have been so pleased with the books I've received so far from Bethany House Publishers. This is the first time I have read Elizabeth Musser's work, and I will certainly be reading more!

From the first page of this book it draws you in.... a tragedy occurs early on that hit home for me. I felt as if I were somehow meant to read this book at this time. It takes place during the depression and follows the lives of two teenage girls Perri and Dobbs and their families.
It accentuates the high society life versus the cruelty of poverty and social statuses.
It provides life circumstances that test even the strongest of faiths.....
It defines love and all it can or cannot withstand.....
It moves you to read more and to wrap yourself in the lives of these characters, needing to know more.
I started this book and finished it in two days almost 400 pages of an amazing read.
You know how with so many books if they don't grab you in the first or second chapters you just know it's usually not worth continuing? Well not this book, her writing is wonderful and engaging. I so enjoyed it that I looked up her website so I could find more books she has written and have every intention of finding them at my local library.
I was moved to tears at several points in the book, and I still think of the characters even after finishing the final page. The true to life stories that touched my heart. Whether you are an avid or casual reader I highly recommend this book. No matter your religion it is an emotional ride. Summer is the perfect time to check it out and enjoy this new release! If so, let me know what you thought!

I received this book for free from Bethany House publishers. The review is my own opinion and was not influenced in any way. :-)

Have a wonderful evening!

Blessings,
Jill

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I have this book to review, too! So far i've enjoyed it. : )

teacher2mom said...

This book sounds really good! Thanks so much for sharing!

p.s. We are doing a fun giveaway that you might like! ;)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

That sounds like a good read :) :) I have enjoyed getting books from my library, too...and discovered some nice titles from Gilbert Morris, another Christian author. He has a series that takes place in New Orleans of the 1800s...four girls who are friends, who lead different lives and come from different backgrounds. A book for each girl :) :) Really cool :) :) Have a good weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Lynn said...

I used to read so much, then crafting kinda took over so not so much anymore lol I am reading a book now though because it is by my most favorite author. That book sounds interesting, I have so many books I dont think I will ever read them all. Im like you it has to grab my attention at least by the first two chapters or its capoots, hehehe. I hope you and your family have a wonderful day!