Friday, June 24, 2011

Does our health matter???


Looks familiar right? We all have one in our kitchens, but how often do we really use them? Has the busyness of life caused us to resort to unhealthy fast food choices? What price do we pay?
I've given this lots of thought and we're all guilty of poor choices from time to time, but when does the accountability kick in?

For me I really feel it has. For most of my life I never had to work hard at being skinny. Yes I loved dancing and always was pretty active but I was able to eat anything I wanted and I could not gain any weight. My friends all thought I was too skinny or anorexic but I wasn't. I just had a great metabolism. All lasted until Kathleen was born, now I carry more weight then what I am comfortable with. Why post about this? Because I think so many of you out there feel the same way. Wanting to get healthy and fit but are not sure where to start or how to juggle it all.


We all have choices in life and we need to be accountable for the ones we make. Being unhealthy is not cheap, it can cost tons in medical bills, disability and in hospital care. There are many diseases and ailments that can be easily cured by taking care of ourselves. Eating right and exercising. I found someone recently who has re inspired me to realize that I am worth this journey. That I'm tired of putting myself last. What's a big motivator for doing something? Having someone tell you you can't!

I feel like if we want positive changes in our lives we need to surround ourselves with positive people and a great support system. People who will build us up, not cut us down. Negativity is so draining to be around.
We need to have those people in our lives that are encouraging and have the same values and goals.


I enjoy using my treadmill, but there are also times I love walking outside and changing the scenery. My dad has told me for years how great weight lifting is for the body and while I knew it for some reason it didn't click. Perhaps having someone watch the kids for me to exercise would have helped, but being on my own for so long made it feel impossible to juggle everything and take time for me. I started a program this week called Chalean Extreme by Beach body products. Charlene Johnson is the trainer and I love it! Am I sore? Yes, but I feel great after the workouts. I follow up afterwards with a great protein recovery shake.
I am not lifting to be a bodybuilder, I'm lifting to be fit! Muscle burns fat and is more effective than just cardio alone. I found I also miss it and it really makes me feel good! I recently purchased a few weights to get me started in the program.
For some reason a light bulb has turned on for me. I wanted results but always had an excuse why I couldn't do it. Yes, the kids do make it a challenge finding time to exercise but I've made new goals and now exercise is at the top of my to do list. I don't want to grow old popping a million pills a day. I'd rather eat fresh, real food and get the same results. No more excuses, no more nasty food. My health is important and I'm worth it and you are too. We'll look better and feel better when we care for ourselves. This is not news we've all heard it before, but we need it to click for us personally. Instead of watching t.v. for an hour at night, go for a walk, or pop in a workout tape. Get up extra early in the morning before work or before the day starts and work out. It's all in how we manage our time. Turn the I can't attitude into I can!!

I am looking forward to this new journey and I'll be updating my progress along the way. I feel this week has been a step in the direction of a brand new life for me. I am so type A in everything I do and everything I do for those around me. Now I need to focus some of that energy on me. :-)

I started this blog to record my family's life and I have met so many incredible people! I don't like to post unpleasant things because life is full of that. I like to be positive and upbeat and have this blog be a place of joy and inspiration. I like that I can post whatever I like because it's my space to do so. If I can help others in some way that also brings me great joy.

There are many ways we can take some time to set up our homes so we don't fail at healthy eating.
First is to plan a menu every week! (No excuses!!)

Be sure to buy healthy snacks, like fruit and almonds and make snack bags up after you get home from the grocery store. I like to keep mine in baskets in my pantry so when I'm hungry I can just reach in and grab what I need.

To encourage eating healthy fruits and vegetables put them at eye level in your refrigerator. Don't let them rot away in the vegetable drawer! :-) 

If you are traveling, plan the day by packing a cooler to take along. Try to avoid eating out as much as possible to save $$ and calories! :-) But if you must choose wisely....salads, lean meats, etc.

I always keep snacks in my purse for me and the girls, just in case of times when we may get held up and it wasn't planned. I also try to carry my own refillable water bottle and keep lots of ice in it.
Be sure your diet is balanced between carbs and proteins, this is so important for stabilizing your blood sugar. Remember we are responsible for our children's health and we need to set them up with good habits. They also are learning by watching what we do. So we need be aware and make the right choices.

Please don't do as I have done in the past and say you don't have time to take care of yourself, if you don't no one else will. Make small changes every day, don't try to do everything at once. Even with health problems you currently have, there is always something you can do to improve your health, your habits and your mind! Be the positive change for yourself and others. You have the power to change things....if you're not happy DO something about it! Don't blame others for your own unhappiness. BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOU!!!!
You can do this....all you have to do is start and make one change. Do this for you! You're worth it!!!

"We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world"  -Helen Keller

We can't change our circumstances all the time, but we are capable of changing our attitudes and how we handle things. We just have to want to bad enough.

Who would like to share this journey with me? Comment or email me jill58972@gmail.com. :-)

Hope you all have an amazing weekend and take some time to reflect about what you want in life and what truly makes you happy and full filled!

Blessings,
Jill

8 comments:

Patti said...

Great post, Jill!!! Interesting things is that my friend Becky posted a similar thing yesterday, talking about the need to take care of ourselves. We moms tend to take care of everyone but ourselves!!

One of the reasons why I continually harp to young moms (like you) to slow down their lives and to get off the merry-go-round of constant activity is exactly for this reason. I am speaking from experience. When my kids were young, we wanted to do it ALL. If there was an activity, we HAD to do. I raced all over town all the time, going here, going there...anywhere but home. As a result, I didn't have time to cook healthy meals, so we lived on fast food. Well, let me tell you, fast food on an ongoing basis will destroy your health. I had huge health issues back in the 90's, and it wasn't until I slowed my life down(and as a result, ate healthy, homecooked meals) that my health improved.

Oh, and by the way, for me, the metabolism changed at 43. Prior to that time, I didn't gain weight, but ever since then.... Exercise is a part of my life 5 days a week. With regular moderate exercise, coupled with healthy eating habits, I was able to lose 20 pounds very easily in about 4 months...no dieting.

Blessings and hugs,
Patti

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill,
I'll join with you :) :) I have a hard time keeping the weight off. I have a naturally slow metabolism... :) :)

I think t his is really cool what you're doing...and I"ll ha ppily be a support/running buddy with you :) :)

Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

p.s. running buddy...in this case, prayer buddy etc since we live on opposite ends of the country :) :)

Sweet Tea said...

I'm not "ready" to sign on yet, but I'll be watching your updates. Good for you, Girl. We all know what you said is TRUE!!

Beloved's Bride said...

Count me in!

I have a hard time doing this too! I have a treadmil too but my excuss is everyone wants to run on it when I am running on it. I hate running so the excuse works for me really well. Now, I know you know that I have been cycling with the Family. You won't believe this but doing 5 miles a day for the last month and half -- I have not lost but 4 pounds. Errr. I have not been watching my inches. I wish I had it might help with keeping me out of the discouragment club.

I know I need to get off the sodas! My sister says that is what is going on with me! :(

Julie said...

Good luck Jill. I too have been on a life style change journey for a bit over a year now. You follow my every day blog but I do have a health one if you'd like to stop by...it's www.julie-thegoingtobenewme.blogspot.com
You will do an amazing job on the getting healthy change. You are learning you are important and you need to be the best you can be so you can be the best you can be for the family. It takes time, energy and more but in the end it's oh so worth it. In 18 months I have lost 60 lbs. Just slow and steady and learning all the way.
Take care and God Bless!!

Donna said...

Hi Jill, This was a great post! I'm so happy for you. Several bloggy friends and I post once a week on a group blog about our weight loss efforts. You'll always be welcome. :o)

I'm on the bandwagon with you..but don't read tomorrow's post. The oven was in full force with Milanese style pasta. Italian is hubby's favorite. But I only cook 'special' recipes once a week. The rest of the time..I aim for simple and delicious and healthy. We rarely ever eat out for the budget's sake.

xo
Donna

Life In a Little House said...

That is really great and I love what you are doing. I try to not grab food out when we are on the go and I do much of the same keep a Lara bar in my purse. I use the Jari Love videos you might like those also she has some great weight workouts. I am working on maintaining my weight. I always yo yo up and down. I lost about 25 pounds last year have gained back about 5 so I am trying to learn how to maintain my weight better I am also reading a good book about emotional eating which I have a tendency to do. It is called Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst a Christian book that is all about being more balanced with our eating. I am wishing you the best of luck on your new journey and will pray for your success!! I just worked out today for the first time in 2 weeks since I had the bronchitis ...ugh I am sore but like you said in a good way :) Can't wait to hear updates Love Heather

Angie Berry said...

Great job girl!! You are so right... Make small changes every day and it's so much easier to make your new regimen stick. We have slowly been changing our lifestyle mainly with our eating and grocery buying. We can really tell a difference.