Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nectarine pie and a scavenger hunt! :-)

I've been getting back to my routine this week slowly after being so sick. One of the things that was on my priority list was a good cleaning of the refrigerator and freezer. Especially from all the food at the party. While cleaning it all out and reevaluating what I had and what I needed to make a menu plan, I came across the nectarines I have frozen from last summer. So I decided to make a nectarine pie and boy what a hit it was! Jerry about ate one whole pie himself, lol. Luckily I made 2! :-)

First thing was to defrost and strain the liquid from the nectarines.
Next was to get the skins off...
Hayley asked to have a few before I put them all in the pie. :-)

Then I prepared the pie crusts. (Not homemade this time though)

Adding the nectarines and then the next step next to it adding the rest of the ingredients.


Mmmm warm right out of the oven! Smells delicious! So we couldn't wait and served it warm with cool whip!

What a great pie for summer! So delicious!! I found the recipe here.

Another great way we like to start the summer is with a scavenger hunt for the girls. Always ending in a sweet surprise. Here are a few pictures of the girls running around trying to find the clues....

Love Hayley's joy on this one...one of the clues was in her flute case!
Notice the flip flops? Daddy had taken them out while I hid the clues and they were so excited over the flip flops on sale for a $1.00 they were carrying them around! LOL

Hayley was deep in thought here, as Kathleen decided it was a good time to dance! :-)

This was another one of my favorites because you can really see the excitement in Kathleen's face! :-)
Their surprise took them back outside to a box that held the final clue....that led them to a turtle (not real, lol) that shared the surprise that they are both going to the grand opening of another American Girl store!
They are just thrilled! Hayley is already counting up her birthday money and making plans! :-) I'll be sure to do a post after we go. :-)

It's another scorcher today so we'll mostly be inside. Some errands to run after Hayley gets home from school. Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Blessings,
Jill

7 comments:

Beloved's Bride said...

Ha. I also spent the day cleaning my refrigerator! But, I didn't find anything to make a pie. That pie looks wonderful!

I have been meaning to do a scavenger-hunt with my Kiddos too. How exciting that they get to go to a new American Girl Store. My Little Lady has been wanting to go for some time. Where is the store that is opening?

Lindsay said...

I wish I had found something to make pie with! lol

Jenny said...

Yummy, I have never made a nectarine pie. Sounds delish. My kids love scavenger hunts. I should try to do one soon. I hope you are feeling 100% soon.

McVal said...

I've never heard of that kind of pie! It sounds awesome!
Hmmm - a scavenger hunt... I might have to come up with something like that for my girls to help fill their days...

Julie said...

It's been awhile since we've had a hunt. That will be a perfect thing to do next Thursday when the new kids start. It'll help them get to know the place and work together a bit. Thank you for the idea. You're girls are so lucky to have a mama that is so into them.
I hope all is well and you are starting to feel tip top now.
Take care and have a blessed weekend.

Kerri said...

I love that you guys always seem to be having fun...great memories! Your pie looks yummy!

Camille said...

I *love* nectarines! Never had them in a pie though...looks super yummy! Your family is blessed to have you caring for them Jill. :) You do such fun things with your girls...what wonderful memories they will have of these precious days. Enjoy!

I am so happy to hear you are feeling better...it's so nasty to be sick.

Have a terrific week!
Many blessings,
Camille