Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yummy recipe and more :-)

We've been diving right into summer around here, I'm not sure where the days go they fly by so fast. Keep wishing there was a way to slow them down! While playing outside with the girls the other day we found a bird's egg, I just love seeing something from nature in relation to Kathleen's tiny little hands.
We are finally seeing some progress in our garden! Can't wait to start enjoying all the yummy goodness.




I found this little cutie in the garden too! :-) She is so excited about all the things we have growing in there.

I was happy to see my lily finally blooming in my pond. They are one of my favorite flowers!

We had a heavy rain shower pass through today and Hayley wrapped Owen up in a Princess towel! LOL

He's not spoiled at all!

We started working on the ground to put up the little pool for the girls. Jerry was using a grade tamper to smooth the ground and level out the sharp rocks etc. He then decided to teach the girls how to do it.

Hayley couldn't stop laughing because it was shaking her around so much. :-)

Kathleen was also using the hammer and hammering in some stakes. She wanted to be a big helper for Daddy.


Looking for a yummy, healthy lasagna recipe? Then you've come to the right place. :-) I made this one for dinner tonight and it was so good, the girl's really liked it too.

Turkey and Spinach Lasagna Rolls

6 dry lasagna noodles
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 pound uncooked turkey breast
1 medium onion chopped
1 yellow bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
16 oz marinara sauce, refrigerated, fresh
1/3 cup water
1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
5 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup basil, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse noodles and lay them flat on wax paper.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add turkey,onion and bell pepper and cook. Stirring frequently until all pan juices evaporates and the turkey browns, about 10 mins. Stir in the marinara sauce and water, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened and the flavors blend, about 5 mins.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile combine the ricotta, spinach, basil,Parmesan,egg and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Spread ricotta mixture over the length of each noodle and roll.

Spread half of the turkey mixture in the bottom of 8 x 12 inch baking dish. Add the rolls. Top with the remaining turkey mixture. Cover with foil and bake 30 mins. Remove the foil and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until heated through and top is golden about 10 mins longer.

ENJOY!!!



I started a new exercise program this week from Beach body called Chalean Extreme. Well I'm certainly feeling the effects of the workout today! I started on Monday and it feels good to be lifting weights again! It's time to start making some changes for Mommy for a change. For so long I've been putting everyone and everything else first. But I am realizing if I'm not healthy and at my best....how can I expect to be there for those I love? I'm looking forward to this new journey in my life and I'll be sharing with you as I go along!

Have a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

13 comments:

Patti said...

I have SO missed seeing your girls' smiling faces. But I'm using my husband's laptop, and photos show up on there...so I am a happy camper right now.

Congratulations on your garden. I don't enjoy gardening, but I DO love going to the farmers' market and buying produce other folks have grown. There's nothing like fresh local produce.

I'm going to go pop by your other post now.

Love,
Patti

Genn said...

Wow, your garden is really doing well!
Looks great. This was our first year planting a garden, so we started out small, but I can not wait to plant more next spring!
That lasagna looks delish!
Way to go on starting up your workout routine! It is so easy for us moms to put ourselves last, but in reality, it is the last thing we should do!!!
Good luck!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Glad you are finding time to work out. I go to Curves at least 3 times a week. It really helps me physically and mentally.

That recipe look fabulous!

I'm jealous of your yellow squash. My one plant just died yesterday :( Hoping to get another one planted before it is too late!

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

That's got to be so exciting to get the pool up. At least you have some adorable helpers.

The lasagne recipe looks like a hit!

Sheila said...

Very nice garden. Kevin wanted to put down that black stuff in our garden this year but for some reason he didn't. I think it would have made our gardening much easier. I wouldn't mind finding Kathleen in my garden either--too cute. It's so nice to see your girls smiling faces. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself--we like having you around too!! That lasagna looks so good-you know me and my love of spinach--YUM!! I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend. Take care.

Mark said...

What! Take care of yourself? We're allowed to do that? Why didnt' someone tell me earlier? Now I'm mad.
Aren't you glad that you are capturing these "little monents" down on paper. I mean, on your blog? m.

vic said...

so much prettiness going on and how fun are y'all! love that the dog gets so much of it:) i must eat these carbs tonight...I'm dying for something de-O:) thanks for sharing!

Cherie said...

How fun to work outside in the garden and to put up a pool - Your garden is so beautiful and looks like it is growing like crazy!!
Your girls always look so happy and I can tell they are great helpers.

A Primitive Homestead said...

Your garden is growing & I see you have a fence. I love your pond lily. I have not tryed one yet. The girls are having fun helping. We moms seem to always take care of ourselves last. Keep us up on your progress & share your routine please. I am walking but need to add more. Blessings!
Lara

Life In a Little House said...

Don't you just love summer!! the girls looks adorable as always ~Good Luck with your exercise program :) ~Love Heather

Lynn said...

The water lily is so pretty! I just love your garden and how you have it set up, everything is so green :o) Good luck with your exercise routine, I need to get on track with some exercise also and watching what I eat the doctor isnt happy with my cholesterol. I sure hope you and your family have a happy weekend :o)

Kerri said...

Your garden is looking awesome Jill! And, I'm thinking maybe you can inspire me to get my butt exercising too! I am kind of in a downward sprial lately...and summer is NOT the time for this! :( I've been MIA this week...so I'm trying to get caught up on my blogs this morning. Have a great day!

Beloved's Bride said...

Now how did I miss this post? Yummy, Jill!