Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Garden updates, War World 2 historic piece, camping and a snake?!

My goodness time has gotten away from me yet again! I've had little time to blog or visit but I'll do better for a few days! :-) One of the reasons I've been so busy is I've been logging into this site:
My online college courses working hard trying to get my papers completed before we leave on vacation! So it's been double the work! Today the girls and I were at the park with our neighbors all day! We packed a picnic lunch and had a great day! We also came home met Jerry and headed right back out to the vets to get Sally rechecked.

Looking perkier isn't she? The vet is very happy with how she is responding to her meds although she's losing weight even though she's eating a lot. So even though she's not out of the woods we have borrowed time and I'll take all I can get!!! We love this dog soooo much!!!
The girls have been good about me studying and stay entertained during the day while I work on papers. Hayley pulled out her scrap booking stuff and was working on it outside my den.

We've also been taking time to watch our garden grow and produce yummy foods! Today we found cucumbers ready to pick!

I had Kathleen stand in the garden so you can see how tall our plants have gotten!

                                                         These are our tomato plants!

Not quite ready to pick yet though :-( But when they are I'll be busy!!

We feel blessed our garden is doing so well and saving us money!!

The dogs like our garden too, they like to guard the gate and have us play ball before we can get in! LOL

Owen just hangs out in the yard and waits to play with the girls.....

These are some of my favorite shots of the girls running and playing in the yard!


They are just having a grand time! :-)

They also have been enjoying quiet time reading for the local library program.


Over the weekend when we were out and stopped to get gas we spotted this antique ambulance from World War 2!! Jerry took time to talk to the guy who said he had it shipped from overseas! It was in mint condition and he was more than happy to let us take pictures of it!



We all thought it was pretty cool and boy if it could talk and tell some stories.....

The girls also wanted to camp out for 4th of July since we had to cancel our travel plans with Sally's condition. So we set up a little tent in the backyard. Usually Sally sleeps in there too...

But once she got in and saw there was very little room she turned around walked out went to the porch and looked at me like"come on mom"

Did I mention how much I LOVE this dog?.....

So it was getting too late to cook smores the "traditional" way so we decided to cook them over the stove burners! LOL

The girls still had a blast!

Look at the size of that marshmallow! LOL And now they even make the small flat ones to fit the smores perfectly! Talk about convenience! :-)


Hayley always being silly! LOL!

So then they slept outside with the 3 little dogs....Since Sally and I determined there was not enough room we hung out in the air conditioning for the night :-)

It was funny the other two dogs moved around so much that Jerry ended up with paw prints all over his shirt the next morning! LOL

Then tonight is where the snake comes into play..... walking out our front door we found this....

Jerry is laughing because even though he only found the skin on my front porch, Hayley tickled my leg while I was taking the picture and screamed there it is! Little stinker made me jump!!!

Ewwwwww!


O.k. seriously this is NOT funny! About 2 years ago Kathleen walked down the stairs before me one morning. She said "Mommy a snake!" Well I didn't have my glasses on yet and I thought she was tricking me and had their plastic toy snake down in my foyer.....um no....when I got close I realized it was bigger and it was coiled and it was REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I screamed so loud I scared Kathleen! I told her to go back upstairs! I grabbed the phone and told Jerry he had to come home from work and get this snake! And how in the heck did it get in my house??????????? So for awhile while I waited it stayed there, then it proceeded to go in my den!! I was so freaked out! Luckily Jerry got there are caught him and took him outside...a copperhead....ugh! Again how did he get in my house? So now we find this skin and no snake??? WHERE IS THE SNAKE???????????

So onto happier things.....I have these totes ready:

Along with my planning folder that holds a notebook with all my notes....

And tomorrow I will doing a post on planning and preparing to go away on vacation!!!

I'm off to visit you guys since I finished my papers tonight! Whoohoo! I still have my discussion board postings, but the hard part is done!

Blessings,
Jill

19 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Glad you all had a super fun weekend!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill,

wow, I'm glad you got the hard part of your school work done ;) :) It'll be worth it, because you'll really be able to enjoy vacation.

All your veggies are really looking good. That's such a blessing that you can have a garden. You're right. It really does save money and time and lots of other stuff. have you ever tried making fried green tomatoes? I did that once with some friends, after we'd seen the movie. They were really good ;) :)

Oh, my, Sally is just a cutie pie of a dog...so are the rest, too. Has she been really sick lately? I'm a bit behind on blogging, but I'll pray she does better. That's good that she's responding to the meds. Yes, I can understand how much you love that dog. it's like the love I had for my childhood pet cat, Bubba...big, fat white kitty :) :)

The camp out looked like a total blast for everyone :) :) Eewww...snake skin? I was wondering the same thing you are....skin and no snake? Where did the snake go? Hopefully it just slithered off into the grass away from your house!!!

that's so cool that your girls understand how important your schoolwork is...and they entertain themselves while you're working. You've got a wonderful family :) :)

Have a great week, Jill :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Angie Berry said...

Busy, busy, busy! Glad your college courses are going well and the girls are giving you the time to work on things.

Your garden is looking yummy delicious! The girls are gonna have fun at harvest time... that was always my favorite part of the garden when I was little.

The summer reading program at the library is always a hit with my kids. We've been doing it for 10 years now and they just don't get tired of it... I'm so glad!

What a fun campout! We occasionally have to get the tent out also. The kids just love camping wherever we will let them. Our favorite is setting the tent up in the living room in the winter on school snow days. They pile the tent up with all kinds of fun things and watch TV from it too... keeps them busy for a few days anyway.

Julie Harward said...

Hi Jill, thanks for your visit. Sounds like a busy summer for all of you and a fun one too. Camping in the yard sometimes is the best! I have not seen the flat marshmallows, good idea. I hate snakes too, luckily we never see any around here. :D

Jenny said...

You have been BUSY! Glad everything is coming right along for you and the family. If I saw a snake in my house I would scream so loud, you'd hear me for sure! My kids just camped out in our yard with my hubby too, not me, too hot for this preggers! Have fun on your trip.

Mark said...

I have never in my life seen someone cook smores over an electric stove. I guess I've seen it all now.
By the way, I will use the large plastic container idea for future vacations. Thanks for that! m.

Kerri said...

Yikes! I want to know how the snake got into yoru house too! I am so afraid of snakes...I think if I saw one in our house, we would have to move! :) Maybe it's in your garden?

I bought the new flat marshmallows last weekend when we went camping....wasn't to crazy about them...they just don't get all poofy like the big ones!

SonyaAnn said...

You are such a cute and super busy family!!!!! Thank you for sharing it with me!

claudia b said...

Yum, cucumbers! We don't have any yet. Sally is such a sweetheart! The boys want a dog so bad over here!

Cherie said...

OK the snake freaks me out - and I have to admit even a snakeskin would haunt me because...where is the snake it belongs to?? Yikes!

You have been busy busy busy - I love the pictures of the girls in the yard - they look carefree and happy. And the marshmallows over the burner is priceless!!

Your garden is growing so prolifically - You guys are going to be eating fresh, yummy, goodness all summer!!

Have a HAPPY day!

Lindsay said...

I would have lost my mind if there was a snake in my house. I can't stand it when there's spiders! Augh!!!!

I love that notebook.

Beloved's Bride said...

OH Jill, You crack me up! Your post are a delight. Love the marshmallows over the stove! Classic. ;)

Camille said...

What a LOT has been going on around your house Jill! How fun that your girls and your husband and your Sally *camped* out in the backyard...am I to understand that you stayed inside?? That's what I do when my children get it into their heads to set up the tent...LOL! :) I'm not a big fan of snakes either...thankfully there are not many around here. :) Have a fun vacation!!

Many blessings,
Camille

McVal said...

I'm so jealous of your gardening!!! And the s'mores look wonderful... We still have some fixings left around here so maybe we should use up some of them tonight... hmmm.

A Primitive Homestead said...

Your garden is growing nicely. Have a safe & fun vacation. Blessings!
Lara

Life In a Little House said...

oh no!! you have a snake also ugh!! my son Liam almost stepped on a rattlesnake the other night while walking the dogs. I have really had enough of these snakes I tell you. Sally is adorable I can see why you are so fond of her she has the sweetest face:) your garden looks fabulous and your indoor smores looked great! Enjoy your vacation ~Love Heather

Sweet Tea said...

Did I read that right?
You once found a Copperhead in your house?!!!!
On no you dhid'ent! That's just way more excitement than a person should ever have.
We had a lizard in our house last week and I thought THAT was bad.

Great photos. Your girls are adorable - as usual. Love the backyard campout idea. And I'm so glad that your sweet pooch is feeling better. It's so hard to watch them age and get sick. Hope she has more sweet days ahead.

~Niki~ said...

enjoyed looking at all your lovely photos. looks like everyone is having a great summer!
me, just trying to stay cool~ lol

~ Noelle said...

talk about a fun post!!!
love the medic truck too!