Monday, July 18, 2011

I'm back from vacation! Pictures Part 1 and a chance to receive a cookbook download :-)

Did you miss me? ;-) First day back and boy do I have tons to catch up on! Also have lots of pictures, etc. to share!!! While I was away I was contacted by Chef Jeff to review his newest cookbook and to offer a chance for my readers to get one too! Please head over to here and sign up for a chance to win a cookbook! I know we all are always looking for great healthy easy recipes to prepare for nights when we're juggling lots of schedules. His cookbook has 212 recipes with 10 ingredients or less and can be made in 30 mins or less.
He gave me the o.k. to share one of his recipes with you and since my family loves chicken meals, I chose this one to try in my menu plan this week. It looks so tasty!

Chicken Cutlet with fresh Tomato and Mozzarella Topping
Serves 4
Cook time 20 mins.

1 lb chicken breast
1/2 tablespoon all purpose seasoning, no salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth low sodium
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup Parsley Italian
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese reduced fat

Heat skillet over medium heat and preheat boiler. Pound chicken thin between two pieces of plastic wrap and season. Fry the chicken in olive oil for a few mins. on each side until cooked through, remove to a baking sheet. Add tomatoes, garlic, and chicken broth, bring heat to high and cook until liquid evaporates, mix in parsley. Top chicken with the tomatoes and cheese and broil for a few minutes until cheese has melted and browned.

The cookbook also has meat, poultry and seafood recipes to enjoy. :-) Good luck!! Thanks Jeff for the great recipes!

So we headed out Saturday morning to Ocean City, Md. Our early sights were some bridge construction...

Can't say I was all that thrilled driving through all that construction while over so much water!!! LOL

Made for a long ride.....

We stopped at a small gas station one time to stretch our legs and refill the tank and I saw this old abandoned house.

             Those of you reading my blog for awhile know I love photographing old homes and I wonder about those that use to live there. What happened to them and why the homes sit in despair.

So sad....if only walls could talk! So it gave me something to ponder on our journey....

When we got to the beach home we rent from friends the girls were pretty tired from the ride. They decided to play checkers for awhile before we headed out again.

After we were all refreshed we headed out to Assateague Island to see the horses and wildlife.

We sure crossed lots of bridges this weekend and went through lots of tunnels! The bridge to the right is a walking bridge.

Coming down the bridge to enter the island.

We must have picked the right time because we saw the horses right away.



They will walk right up to your car window....they aren't concerned with people at all.


The bugs were so bad we mostly stayed inside the car to capture the shots.


This one was just a baby...a shame someone left their trash out there for him :-(

This little guy I saw over by the parking lot broke my heart...so skinny!

This is a picture from some of the damage from the recent storms. There isn't much of a beach area left either compared to previous years we've been there.

We did find this big guy walking around...then he flew up on top the restrooms!


They built a nice new welcome and discovery center so we spent some time there as well.


I'm so happy my girls are nature lovers :-)


They got to explore different animals in the touch and feel tank.





Hayley is a huge horse lover so she enjoys visiting this Island all the time! :-)

Kathleen was making a scared pose at the size of the insects! LOL

We had a real nice day, then enjoyed some time walking on the boardwalk that evening. Tomorrow I'll be sharing more pictures of our time at the beach! Heading off to visit you all I missed seeing what's been going on! May take me a day or two to catch up!! Have a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

14 comments:

claudia b said...

what a good time - glad you guys had a great vacay!!!

SonyaAnn said...

Thanks for sharing your trip!
Glad your back. But I always dreaded the laundry when we got back from a vacation.

Jenny said...

Looks like you had so much fun. While I think horses are beautiful, those coming right up to my car might scare me a little.

A Primitive Homestead said...

For years I have wanted to go & see the pony swim. It will be July 27 this year. I am sure all is booked. The kids & I have been serching the web for information on Assateague & the discovery center so your post & photos were very helpful. Looks like it is very fun. I would not enjoy all the construction either. Glad your all home safe & sound. Blessings!
Lara

Sweet Tea said...

Welcome home, Jill!
Looks like you had a wonderful time.
Some of the bridges look more like part of a rollercoaster than a bridge! LOL
I bet your nature-lovin' girls enjoyed all the animals and such, too.
Glad you had a good trip and safe travels.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Welcome back, Jill :) :) Oh this sounds like a place I would totally love to visit. I love islands.... :) :) I was curious about the horses. oes anyone own them? They're so tame...and I'm curious why they roam free? I think it's nice..and it's amazing they came so close to the cars :) :) BEuatiful :) :) It looks like a fun time was had by everyone ;) :) I can't wait to see what you share next time :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Wendi said...

We were in Ocean City about 10 years ago. A super fun place! We didn't see the horses. After seeing your picures I am sad we missed it. Looks like a great trip!

Heather said...

Wow looks like a great trip how cool the wandering horses!! And you got a great shot of the Turkey Vulture....If your on facebook Cornell has an Ornithology page that you can post your bird pictures on my son and I will post our bird pictures on there to share and it is nice to see what others post!! The girls look so cute I like Kathleens scarey bug photo hehehe ~Love Heather

Julie said...

Love all the pictures Jill. It's so fun to share things with our children. I'm so glad you had a great vacation. I can't wait to see more pictures.
Take care Jill and have a blessed week.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

So much to see and of course, the smiles of both of the girls (and hubby too) says it all!! Looks like you all had a blast!

Mark said...

Welcome home! It looks like a good start to a vacation.
Old fallen down houses make me sad too. I just imagine all the fun that may have gone on inside them and now, nothing!
Take care.
Your Friend, m.

McVal said...

Awesome! Wasn't Chincoteague and Assoteague from the books about the ponies Misty and Stormy? I have that whole set of books!
My mom used to be fascinated like that with old houses too. In fact as a kid, she would walk through them with us and we'd wonder what happened to the people who lived there before. Nowadays, I'd have a heart attack if my kids went wandering through old houses like that... Broken floors, rotting wood.. YIKES!

Kerri said...

We enjoyed the welcome center there too when we were down in April...it's really nice. No beach right now on the island? Wow.

~ Noelle said...

looks like so much fun
and that is so neat with the horses