Thursday, August 4, 2011

Banana Muffins and some great products for back to school!

Soooooo when you have bananas that look like this.....
They are just screaming banana muffins! LOL

So the girls put the cupcake liners in the pans.....


I mashed up the bananas.....

Added the ingredients and the girls used our melon scooper to make the perfect sized muffins!

After they were baked and cooled, Kathleen and I enjoyed one! Hayley likes to bake but claims she doesn't like banana.....we say her loss....these were so moist and warm!!!


Yummy!!

I've always talked to the girls about recycling and ways to help our environment. So I wanted to find ways to reduce school lunch trash each day. I enjoy packing Hayley a healthy lunch as well as Jerry. :-)
Kathleen will only have snack this year since she's in Kindergarten so I got a few of these to hold her snacks also. We've always used our own drink containers but this year we found these...

They are by thermos and they fit great inside their lunch bags. Straw is BPA free!

I also always use our own silverware and this year decided to get this set from Pottery Barn Kids that has a nice case to keep them in. The colors are more fun for them too. :-)

You may have heard of lunchskins? If not, these are great! You can label them and resuse for sandwiches, snacks etc. Hand wash or throw them in the top rack on your dishwasher! Saves a ton of waste and fun for the kids! The crab one is for Jerry and oh the girl's picked a lizard for him too! LOL

They close up with strong velcro.
I also found these wraps that open up into a placemat that is also reusable.

Helps cut down on all those germs on the lunch room tables!
I found my products on reuseit.com. I received no compensation just a product I found and wanted to share!

I decided to store them all nicely and conveniently in this basket on my counter.

Be a cinch when packing lunches :-)

I also got Hayley this thermos with her name on it from Pottery Barn Kids....

Great for sending in warm and healthy meals!

I also ordered them cloth napkins with designs on them to put in their lunches each day... but I threw them in the wash before taking pictures, lol. I found them over at fabskins.com. :-)

I can't believe Hayley will be entering 5th grade and Kathleen will start Kindergarten!! Sigh...
Notice how Hayley has her ball cap flipped up? She said just like Justin Beiber Mom.....:-)
These are two of the outfits we found them on clearance at Kohl's. Plus they had Kohl's cash back. Got some great deals and will be heading back to use the Kohl's cash this week.

ahhh now back to the Banana Muffin recipe....
I didn't forget!

1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large bananas mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat muffin pans with cooking spray or insert cupcake liners. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.

Combine bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture and mix till smooth.
Scoop into muffin pans/liners

Bake 10-15 mins for minis
OR
Bake 25-30 mins for large muffins

I usually set my stove timer to remind me so I can multi task! :-)

Enjoy!

Have a great night!!

Blessings,
Jill

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

I looooooooove those bags! I need to get some! Thanks for sharing!

Sweet Tea said...

Those products are great finds and I LOVE that they are colorful!! You are all ready for Back-to-School now!!

You probably know this but, did you know if your not ready to use your bananas for bread you can simply put them in the freezer as they are and defrost another day when you are ready to bake. Just FYI.

Wendi said...

Anything banana is a hit around my place. Those look delish!

~Niki~ said...

YUMMY banana muffins! I wanted to buy some zucchinis to make zuch muffins~love those too. Oh I love to bake, and eat it! lol. bad bad bad. I never have cupcake liners, and I need to buy some, because it's so much easier than dealing with Pam and the pan getting messy, hard to clean, etc. love the school supplies. My kids go back on Wed (aug 10) already! yikes!

SonyaAnn said...

It is busy at your house and I love the reusable stuff that you have gotten. We are converting here too.
Have a great weekend!

The Mama said...

Those muffins look great, thanks for sharing. Love your blog!

Cherie said...

That is MOST definately what you do with banana's!! Yum!

I have never heard of the lunch skins - those are awesome!! I'm going to have to get some.

Oh my your little one is going into kindergarten - tear time for sure, although you know she will love it!!

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

That reminds me that I haven't made banana bread in a long time! I really like the idea of reusables. Thanks for the website. I am going to see what I can find for myself since I pack a lunch every day for work.

Annie Jones said...

I've been gathering up reusables, too. I've heard of lunch skins, but haven't tried them. I really need to look into getting one of those silverware sets, too!

Kristina said...

YUMM!! Banana muffins!! They look so good!! :) I have never heard of those bags! They are amazing! I will have to look into getting some for us! Jon takes his lunch to work alot and this would save alot of $$ and the enviro as well!! Thank for sharing your great find!!

Lynn said...

Wow what wonderful ideas for the lunch bags I will have to start using those if I can find them to buy. Thanks for the muffin recipe I will definitely make those when it gets cooler here, they sound so yummy!! Hope all is well :o)

Heather said...

Wow those are some great ideas for lunch!! I love all that stuff you found! I did not know Hayley was going into the same grade as Anna how exciting it will be fun to follow along as they both go through 5th grade. I still do not know for sure if Anna can get into the school here it is a private school and they said she has been put on a waiting list so I might end up homeschooling! which is ok we have done that before but she does enjoy school she is a little social butterfly ~The girls looks super cute in their new outfits. How is your exercise program going. There is a very nice gym at the hotel so I have been getting on the treadmill for a little each morning I think it is really helping with the jetlag ~Have a great weekend Love Heather

McVal said...

YUM! I love banana bread!
And I've seen a pattern somewhere on how to make those sandwich bags! I'll have to see if I can track that down...

Fiona said...

Your lunch bags and ideas are awesome.
Plus your banana muffin recipe sounds great (and we always have bananas hanging around that look like that!).

~ Noelle said...

love your lunch ideas!!!
and the muffins?!
i am coming to your house!!!!!