Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Books and Bears?! Oh My! :-)

A beautiful day today and we wanted to get out and enjoy it after rain the last few days. We finished reading some books first so we could add them to our summer reading lists and the girls could choose their prizes.

I like this picture of them and how the picture to the right reflects them when they were little. :-)
Lois Ehlert is one of my favorite children's authors. These are just a couple of our favorites from her. Always fun to reread too.

I caught this picture of Sally watching them read and I just like how the sun was coming in around her. She seems to be feeling better for now....but traveling is not 100 % approved.


We have this really cool community thing of various Bears placed all around our town over 100 of them! About 2 years ago we spent the whole day with the girls and visited every one of them and took pictures. These pictures are still stored on my other computer..... but I thought it would be fun today to share a few with you. They are very creative and cute and the girls have fun finding them. :-) the first was in our local library. Hayley has one in her school too.







The artists really do an amazing job, and the day we drove all over town with the map had the girls so excited. :-)

We then went and played at the park for awhile....quite hot but they were able to get some energy out!



We came home and had a very late lunch....but breakfast was later and Jerry had come home for a bit with a bad migraine....he layed in a dark room for awhile and took some meds. then went back to work. I worry he's overdoing it after his surgery.

I lugged this bag of books in the house......UGH talk about heavy!

This is just until we go back on Saturday! LOL That's when the Summer Reading Program ends.
I talked with a nice older lady who recommended I try these books by these authors. She said if I enjoyed mysteries I'd enjoy these. As much as I love to read I had never heard of these authors.... but I always like to try new books from different people. Has anyone read these before? I'm starting the one by Dorothy Sayers first. John Dickson Carr they had to get from a college library on loan. I love older books and new stories!

I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I loved it! What a wonderful, emotional read. I am hoping to get to see the movie as I heard it was really good.

I have a few quotes by one of my favorite early educators Jane Addams to share.

"What after all has maintained the human race on this globe despite all the calamities of nature and all the tragic failings of mankind, if not faith in new possibilities and courage to advocate them"


"America's future will be determined by the home and the school. The child becomes largely what he is taught; hence we must watch what we teach, and how we live"

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt"

I also came home and worked up a great sweat to Chalean Extreme's Burn it off and recharge video. We have a full schedule tonight and will be headed out soon. Hope you all have a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

12 comments:

Mark said...

I don't think you will know what to do with yourself when your girls go back to school. It will be just you and Sally and those shiny hardwood floors.
Happy Reading! m.

A Primitive Homestead said...

Looking back at old photos really shows how fast our little blessings have grown over the years. Searching for the bears sounds like a fun adventure. School will start Monday here. Off he will go. Prayer lifted for your hubby. Blessings!
Lara

SonyaAnn said...

Great pictures!
Our ton does the bears too. But we don't have anywhere as many and they are smaller. Maybe I should complain. LOL

Jenny said...

Cute pictures. The tire swing one is frame-able for sure! I have been meaning to tell you that you and Hayley look great with the new hairdos, love them and love that you donated them.

McVal said...

Great quotes!

Patti said...

I love those 2 "up close and personal" photos of the girls! They're beautiful!!

I am intending to start The Help in the next few days. My sis-in-law read it and saw the movie. She totally loved it, so she sent me the book...thought I'd love it too. (Good thing she sent her copy...there are 199 holds on it at the library!)

Speaking of children's books, have you ever read "Love You Forever." It's a picture book...for very young children. Anyhow, it's my all-time favorite children's book. It's one children's book I will never get rid of. Very sob-inducing.

Have a great rest of the week.

Love,
Patti

Camille said...

The photo of your dog surrounded by sunlight is lovely Jill. :)

Looks like the girls are enjoying the last days of summer. What a fun Mom you are. :)

Many blessings to you!
Camille

Sweet Tea said...

The girls, the dog, the sunlight - what a glorious day.

Kerri said...

That's a LOT of books! I've read more this summer than any other summer...while I'm trying to be a good example, I actually started to enjoy reading. Yay!
LOVE the picture of the girls on the tire. Sometime non-posing pictures are the best!

Beloved's Bride said...

I am glad your doggy is doing much better! She looks so sweet.

Love all the pictures of the girls with the bears. We were in a town not to long ago that had painted horses. It was very fun to take pictures with them. The kids had a blast.

That is a stack of books! Did you take the summer semester off? I did! So glad too!

Lynn said...

That is so neat about the bears. We have that around here only ours are pigs hehehe

~ Noelle said...

i think the bears are neat... my hometown has turtles and in athens (where my brother goes to school at uga,) they have bulldogs!