Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurrican Irene, installing insulation and new grill!

Whew that's quite a title :-) I'm hoping all of you that faced Irene are safe and there was none to minimal damage around you. Prayers go out to those of you directly affected. That was quite a storm! We had very heavy wind and rain and lots of tornado warnings and flooding! We decided it would be best to move the family down to the basement for the night. Jerry and I got no sleep watching the news and worrying. Luckily the girls were able to sleep. Our sump pump was running continuously, but I am so thankful we kept our electric!! The girls asked to make a "fort" downstairs and of course I said yes. I love to see their creativity plus it's lots of fun too.
Oh and yes they sneaked in some of my leftover birthday cake! LOL


Yes....the basement was a bit messy again but they were down there most of the day.

They used tables, fitted sheets, sheets and blankets! :-)

Their favorite animals of course were also there! I did pack emergency bags for all of us just in case.

We found this cot for Kathleen at a yard sale for $3.00! It has been one of our best investments! It's great when we travel too!

Hayley thought it was pretty cool to put her computer in the cubby of the shelving.
I am just very thankful we made it through and my family and friends are safe. My heart goes out to all facing the devastation and destruction.

Since it was still rainy and windy today, Jerry decided to start putting the insulation in our attic. We've lived here for 6 years and have been wanting to do this to save on heating/cooling costs. Our attic is ready to be finished. We came across brand new insulation at a yard sale and the guy sold several rolls to us for $120.00 You can't beat that! Jerry is definitely a handyman/jack of all trades. Which really comes in handy saving $$.
Here's some pics of the before and some afters of the installation.

Can't forget the tool container with just some of the things he needed. Yet he was still running back and forth for more!

The yellow in the back is for interior walls that was given to us, the pink is the new we were installing.


Ceiling

Just overlook our items in storage :-) LOL

If installing yourself be sure to keep a few things in mind:
1) Wear a jumpsuit to protect skin
2) Wear a face mask!!
3) Properly ventilate the area you are working in
4) If you have gloves, use them!
We did our house in NC years ago and did the recycled blown insulation. That stuff is great! Expensive but worth it if you can afford it. We have remodeled many houses/things, lol. I'll have to add those posts sometime.


Jerry getting ready to start....



I would also recommend eye protection as well. One time I went up to take him coffee and get these pics. and I couldn't even breathe! Insulation is not a home improvement area I take part in. :-)


So we're not completely done, but we do have big plans! I'll keep you posted as we go along.

Now I have a question for you....especially my gardeners out there....WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS BUG?????

As you can see they are quite happy in my garden!

We don't like using chemical solutions....anyone know how we can get rid of them??

EWWWWW!
Thanks!

So after a long day of working upstairs and the girls watched t.v. and played while I reorganized things, did laundry and prepared their things for school.....Jerry fired up the grill for dinner.
Now there's a story to this grill.....
We found it at a yard sale for $90.00. Gotta love those yard sales! :-)


Of and it was brand new too! The only thing was it was missing a few knobs, which we ordered. Why he didn't put them all on yet I'm not sure? LOL But needless to say...he loves his new grill.

Have a great evening!!

Blessings,
Jill

13 comments:

Annie Jones said...

They're called squash bugs. :(

Sweet Tea said...

That is a "cadillac" of a grill and I can understand why he's proud of it. What a great find!!

When I was a kid one of my favorite things to do was make a sheet tent. Hadn't thought about that in a very long time. The girls look like they enjoyed their stay in the basement. So thankful all is well at your house!

Camille said...

So glad you were safe during *Irene* Jill! How fun that the girls made that incredible fort...please tell them I think they did a GREAT job! :)

Wow...that's a LOT of insulation!! Well done to your man. :)

And...yippee for the amazing Grill find for such a great price!! That is some cooking machine! :)

Have a terrific week Jill!
Blessings,
Camille

Wendi said...

Those are some great yard sell finds! Your attic is awesome. Fantastic storage space!

Mark said...

That's it! I'm going yardsaling with Jerry!
m.

Chelle said...

Love your grill. Looked like fun sleeping in the basement. My kids love campouts.

Mama Hen said...

I am checking in on you after the hurricane! We have no power, but all is fine. It looks like you are busy there! I hope all is well! Have a great week!

Mama Hen

McVal said...

That is SOME grill! And you are so blessed to have a handy man for a husband! I think I am the handy man in our family when it comes to home repair. My husband will fix any computer you throw at him tho.
I'm so glad you all came through the storm unscathed! Spending an anxious night in the basement is kind of scary, but glad the girls made it an adventure.

Beloved's Bride said...

OH WOw! And, Here is thought I do well at garage sales! You got one on me! What a fun blessing!

And, that is alot of work in the attic. We did the same thing to our Farmhouse floors a year and half ago. It was such a chore.

Love the tents! Thankful you are all safe. My relatives are as well.

Angie Berry said...

A fort is an excellent way to keep the girls busy during times like that. It allows them to have a good time without all the worry. Looks like fun to me!

The insulation looks like quite a chore but great on saving $$, that's awesome!! Speaking of saving $$... incredible deal on the grill, WOW!!

Heather said...

so glad that you are all okay!! Looks like the girls had fun camping out in the basement. And the insulation project looks like it is going very well!! The bugs ugh I would suggest Diatomaceous Earth I got it from a nursery for my garden that I had in California it is all natural and it is a powder. When the bugs crawl over it...it is lethal...maybe google it so you can see what it is. The only thing is if it rains you would have to add more and you do have to add it regularly and you don't want to get it on the flowers because you don't want to hurt the bees. I made like a barrier all around with it. And you can also use it for dogs you can put it in there food and it kills parasites and then you can sprinkle it on there fur for fleas....quite handy stuff. I have a great book that has all sorts of natural pest control but it is packed when it gets here I can pull it out and let you know what it says ttys Love Heather

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Wow! Those are some great yard sale deals :) You are going to love that extra attic space! glad you and your family came through the storm without any damage. What a blessing! Praying for all those who weren't as fortunate.

~ Noelle said...

wow
your grill is HUGE!
love your basement... :) glad yall are safe!