Monday, August 15, 2011

Updates and some recipes...blueberry squares and zucchini bread

Just got back from Jerry's surgeon's office and he got released to activities based on his level of pain basically. So my crazy husband got in his truck and headed out to work. I love the trait that he is such a hard worker, but I wish he would slow down and take the time to heal. I've been waiting on him since he had the surgery, and all the sudden he's trying to jump back into "normal" activities. Guess I just worry....comes with being a wife I suppose, lol.

I do have a funny story to tell....about a day after surgery a koi got caught in one of the lily flowers netting and couldn't get out. I like fish....but I just can't touch them....so I am frantically out with a long stick trying to release this poor little koi and the net is not budging. He's in so tight I can't cut it for fear I'd hurt him by mistake. So Hayley must have told Jerry and he comes hobbling out lays himself down on the sidewalk and sticks both arms down into the pond to SAVE THE KOI! He has no problem touching fish.... so the funny part is me trying to get him (Jerry) off our sidewalk! LOL To say he is not easy to lift is an understatement...lol I can only imagine what our neighbors were thinking. I was so afraid he would lose balance and refall on it. Luckily somehow I managed to get him up and back in the house. :-) Then Kathleen noticed the hot sun beating down on him from the skylights so she quickly ran and got her umbrella to cover him. I could not resist a picture to share....
This man will do anything to make his girls happy. :-)

We have gotten so many lovely tomatoes from our garden....this is just a few Kathleen collected, but I had to give a lot away I couldn't keep up with them all before they would go bad. I just bought some new canning jars and hope to get some sauces made this week. My daily to do's are a little off from caring for him this week. So my list is growing again.....

We also had to rescue this pumpkin early as the vine was dead. The girls thought it was pretty cool to get a pumpkin in August, lol.


Still trying to get use to seeing Hayley with her short hair..... :-)

One day I had to run out with Hayley this week so I told Kathleen she was in charge of taking care of Daddy for an hour or so. She stood up all tall and said "wait....you mean I'm in charge of Daddy?" I said yes and she was so very excited and proud. So when I came home I found this.....

She found a recipe in her Princess magazine and got out the ingredients to make it for her and Jerry.

She used cookie cutters like I do to create food for him from cheese.

What an awesome lunch! LOL I was so proud of her.....

I found this really easy recipe for blueberry squares.

2 simple ingredients and so yummy!

1 package angel food cake
22 oz light fruit pie filling (blueberry)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine cake mix with blueberry filling (do NOT add any other ingredients)
Pour batter into ungreased 9 x 13 inch baking dish, bake for 30 mins.
Cool...cut into squares....enjoy!


Not the greatest picture, but this is really yummy! It's a recipe from weight watchers and one square is 2 points.

Next I found this yummy zucchini recipe from Paula Dean. I don't have a direct link but it is so worth baking up! I love her recipes. You can visit her at Paula Dean.com. Then just search the item you are looking for. However it was eaten quicker than I could get a picture, lol! I had huge zucchini from our garden I had to use up as well. :-)

2 cups grated zucchini ( I actually chopped up 2 cups with my chopper into fine pieces)
1/3 cup water
4 eggs beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I chose to leave these out)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice.
Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in
Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until tester comes out clean. For mini loaf pans bake about 45 mins.
Enjoy!!!

Well I better get busy on more of my to do list items....like school work, exercise, activities with the girls....etc. August 31st they head back so I'm really trying to savor the moments. :-)

Thanks for all your sweet comments about our new hairstyles and the well wishes for Jerry! We appreciate it so much!!

Oh one more funny comment to add ....Hayley and I were talking the other day and she said "Mom only 6 more years and I can drive!" I told her I wasn't ready for that yet!!! LOL Then I said well you will need a job to pay for your car and insurance.... she thought a minute and said "well if I plan to buy a smaller car it will be less money right?"...... I think we may start doing price comparisons now....can you imagine car costs in the next 6 years???

For those of you following along with exercise and eating healthy with me...how's it coming along? I'm still faithfully sticking to my exercise program of weights and cardio. I will be focusing even more on the diet changes when the girls are back to school. So lots more to come!

Hope you all have a great day!!!

Blessings,
Jill

22 comments:

Katharine said...

These recipes look wonderful! So glad hubs is on the mend! Have a great day...

Mark said...

So anyway, I was reading this and a comment popped up in my email from you. Isn't it nice that we are thinking of each other?
Love Jerry with that umbrella. Let him know that I have the same one and it doesn't make me less of a man either.
And I'm glad that his surgery went well.
Your Friend, m.

Kerri said...

Hope Jerry is recovering and feeling better! He's such a good dad. Kathleen's lunch for him is so cute...trying to be like her mama!

elenareviews said...

I bet the pictures were delicious.

Sheila said...

I'm glad Jerry is doing so well. He sounds a lot like Kevin with jumping right back into work. Love the meal Kathleen made for him--she is too cute. I love Hayley's hair. It looks really good on her. I can't wait to make the blueberry bars--I think I used to make one with some other type of pie filling and angel food cake mix. Your tomatoes put ours to shame--ours are about the size of golf balls--they just didn't take well this year. Love the umbrella shot--Jerry's a good dad. How are you feeling? I hope you're doing well. Have a great week. Take care.

Julie Harward said...

Hi Jill...looks things are really hopping around your place. That man of yours is an amazing guy! Cute that she was in charge of dad! The recipes look real good, thanks for sharing them! Have fun with the new school year. :D

Cindy said...

Glad Jerry is healing well.
What a sweet lunch Kathleen made!
thanks for sharing those recipes too! love anything blueberry!!:)
have a happy day

Patti said...

Oh, I must have missed a post about Jerry needing to have surgery. Hope he is fully recovered very soon!!

How adorable that Kathleen made such a great and beautiful lunch for her daddy. You've obviously been training her well.

A 2 ingredient recipe is right up my alley. Sounds and looks delish!!

And, again, I love Hayley's hair. I think she looks even prettier with her new "do" than she did before.

Blessings and hugs,
Patti

McVal said...

Awe! That is so sweet that she made lunch for him! When my hubs is sick, he can't rest at home... He'll go to work instead and sleep at his desk. If he's home trying to sleep, my kids would walk right up to his nose, startling him awake and ask if he needed anything, or ask if he was feeling better yet.
"Yep! I'm going to work!!"

~Niki~ said...

well with a possible upcoming thyroidectomy for ME in a month or so, I'm starting a 'diet' program of only fruits as needed and a special 'drink' ONLY for a month. We'll see. I'm starting tonight/tomorrow. wish me luck. your girls are so good to you guys! hope your hubby gets better really soon xoxo

Wendi said...

Love Jerry with the umbrella. Daddy's and their girls sure have special relationships. :)

I am glad that Jerry is doing well. I like the new hair cuts. Very cute!

I am looking forward to trying the blueberry squares. Yummy!

Julie said...

Jill, if you want to keep your tomatoes but don't have the time to do them yet you can freeze them just like you picked them. Just throw them in a bag and when you thaw them the skins will fall right off and you can process anyway you want.
I'm sorry I've been off for a bit and I'm behind. I have more to read. Glad Jerry is doing good though haven't read back far enough to understand yet.
Take care and God Bless!!

Sweet Tea said...

You've gone straight from vacation mode to recovery room mode...Sounds like you're faring well with your good helpers.

Camille said...

What a sweet thing that your girls did that lunch for their Daddy...too precious. :)

Sorry your man had to have surgery...sounds like he is well on the road to recovery...what a blessing.

LOL...she's already thinking about driving?? Get ready!! :)

And...the haircut is real cute.

Many blessings,
Camille

Heather said...

So glad to hear Jerry is doing well Praying for a speedy recovery for him!! What a lucky guy to have all those wonderful girls caring for him. Oh how cute little Kathleen is!! She did a wonderful job taking care of Daddy!! Ugh I feel ya about the fish I don't think I could touch it either. I had a run in with my sons pet snake before and you should have heard how loud I screamed lol!! I just drew a Koi fish hehe and I am going to take some pictures of the ones at the hotel today to post later on the blog! I was the same way when Anna cut her hair it was as long as Hayley's I would look at Anna and say who's that girl hehehe Hayley looks very cute love her haircut!! My son is turning 15 in October it is amazing how fast they grow!! I do not want to talk about cars lol! And last but not least ugh the exercise I am trying to workout but it is hard because of where we are I can't go to the gym myself. But I am going to the pool with Anna I don't really swim but I walk laps around the pool and I figure that must count for something. And food well were living in a hotel so a lot of eating out. I am just not going to worry to much about it now and once we get settled I can get back on track!! Hopefully your health plans are going well I will pray for you also. Wouldn't it be wonderful to hit the new year not make resolutions but feeling great and healthy about where we are at!! I would love that ~all right enough rambling...Have a Great week ttys Love Heather

Kristina said...

Jerry sounds alot like Jon- he doesnt stop for anything! :) I LOVE the photo of him with the umbrella, Daddies will do almost anything for their daughters, wont they!

I have started a "diet". Almased. It is a shake, not all protein, but it is alot of natural ingredients. I also do Zumba- hopefully I will be sucessful at losing a few pounds! :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

What a great story! I hate touching fish, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. And I love to fish! Give me some gloves, please, LOL.

Beloved's Bride said...

She is so adorable! And, I love the idea of cookie cutters and cheese! I am sure that will be a favorite thing in thish ouse tomorrow!

She looks so cute with short hair! I Like your hair cut too! Does it feel good?

Patti said...

Hi, sweet friend. I wanted to let you know that I've given you a blog award. Stop by my movie blog for more information. (Though my other blog is award-free, I didn't set my movie blog up like that.)

Love,
Patti

Angie Berry said...

How precious of Kathleen to take such good care of daddy. That is so very sweet!

Love that pumpkin! I'm ready for pumpkin season. =]

Lynn said...

That is just such a sweet story about the koi LOL and I love how your daughter took the umbrella to your hubby. The recipes look and sound yummy. Hopefully your hubby will slow down and give you some peace of mind :o)

~ Noelle said...

lol, jerry cracks me up!
yall are amazing parents...
as for your tomatoes...
ours did not do so well :( they did at first, but then they went weird on us...